Metal mag mods for longer COAL / bullet seating?

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

calinb
Silent Operator

Metal mag mods for longer COAL / bullet seating?

Post by calinb »

I remember reading a few forum threads about cutting back the mag side ribs in plastic mags, but it looks like it would be a simple matter to "adjust" them back in metal mags too. Then the bullet could be seated longer to put the bullet shank up against the ribs without cocking the cartridge and loads would not be as limited in case capacity and powder selection.

Looking at the clearance required in a couple of my metal mags, it looks to me like the ribs could be pressed out enough to get the proper clearance. A simple steel "die" in a relatively small hydraulic press should do the trick. 5.56-like clearance could be gained using a simple flat steel plate without contacting the forward feed lips so it should be simple to just flatten the ribs a bit. For that matter, I don't see why the entire length of the rib would need to be adjusted. It seems like only the top of the rib would need adjusting so as not to adversely affect the feed of the top round.

Of course these rib mods might make the mag less than ideal for 5.56 or 300 rounds that have been loaded to have the bullet ogive touch the rib but, other than that, is there a disadvantage to this approach? I guess it might fly in the face of an AAC design goal too, but what do I know! I now have all the parts to build my 300 Blackout pistol but still need to get to it and stop daydreaming. ;)
-k-
Industry Professional

Re: Metal mag mods for longer COAL / bullet seating?

Post by -k- »

I only see modifying mags as useful for making major power factor, and I don't see any use for that load for anything else.
calinb
Silent Operator

Post by calinb »

Thanks, Todd.

I'll probably be most interested in the 110 gr TTSX and V-Match for supersonic and the 247 gr NOE for sub. I guess seating these bullets deeply enough to avoid the problem is no problem, given bullet length vs. powder volume requirements.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I lost all interest in custom mags. There are several new bullets coming out which are designed to be loaded to full mag length in normal mags.
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

Yeah, after you load your first mag of Rem 125gr Match in a standard mag, making the bullets fit seems the only way to go.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

-k- wrote:Yeah, after you load your first mag of Rem 125gr Match in a standard mag, making the bullets fit seems the only way to go.
Not everyone has the memo:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/5461 ... eeded.html
coryj wrote:I believe the x40 requires modifying mags as well.
He is saying that the 300 AAC BLACKOUT requires modifying mags.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

The UMC will be like that also. And a few more loads after that.
coryj

Post by coryj »

silencertalk wrote:
-k- wrote:Yeah, after you load your first mag of Rem 125gr Match in a standard mag, making the bullets fit seems the only way to go.
Not everyone has the memo:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/5461 ... eeded.html
coryj wrote:I believe the x40 requires modifying mags as well.
He is saying that the 300 AAC BLACKOUT requires modifying mags.
Not at all what I meant. I was saying in addition to not being suppressor friendly and a reload only proposition, it (7.62x40) requires modified mags. I'll edit my post to make that clearer. I know the blackout does not require modified mags.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Cory - I am sorry. There were two ways to interpret it and I took it the way you did not mean.
coryj

Post by coryj »

No problem at all. I'm actually glad you pointed out how it could be interpretted so I could correct it and not have bad/wrong info out there.

I can't wait to put my upper together. I'm jumping head first into the NFA world on this one by registering a lower with a form 1 and ordering a can from my local classs 3 guy next week when he is back from vacation.