Low recoil AR 15

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Tom12.7
Silent But Deadly

Low recoil AR 15

Post by Tom12.7 »

Ok, I was asked by a friend to put together an AR 15 for his daughter. She's young (10?) and 75lbs soaking wet. He wants a .223 gun for her, I recommended a .22LR. He said she shot his SP1, but the buttstock was too long and the recoil was a bit much. He also figured she could use a red dot. He says he has the money to spend, so ok?
The softest shooting AR that I know of was based on a JP gun with all the recoil reducing enhancements. Tank style recoil eliminator comp, low mass operating system, adjustable gas block, etc. Using a long White Oak Armament barrel with the 2" extended gas system cut down to 20" and profiled similar to the JP barrel.
I figure I could use a Vltor a5 buffer tube and buffer lightened to the same weight as the low mass JP. That would cut the stock length down some. Maybe add a rubber pad to the butt stock. Add a red dot of his choice and it's done.
So does anybody have any recoil reducing suggestions, or know of something that may work better? Besides a .22LR?
Thanks,
Tom
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Re: Low recoil AR 15

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

Add weight to the rifle (heavy or bull barrel, etc.) up a point before it gets to heavy for her.
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

Ammo.. use 55 gr at the most. 52 gr Sierra works for me. A nice moderate handload with a good port pressure helps too.

A Spikes buffer & HBR.

I do not think a 223 kicks that much even for a kid.

The noise is more the issue IMHO.. Let her use a silencer and see how that works. Use a .30 cal for less gas in the face. It helps manage recoil as well.

As said before add weight to the sock (it will off set the silencer droop too)

If using a SP1 stock fill a sock with sand.. then put it in the butt stock cleaning kit compartment. (I know people with lead shot in them... But that is freaking HEAVY!
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

JohnInNH wrote:Ammo.. use 55 gr at the most. 52 gr Sierra works for me. A nice moderate handload with a good port pressure helps too.

A Spikes buffer & HBR.

I do not think a 223 kicks that much even for a kid.

The noise is more the issue IMHO.. Let her use a silencer and see how that works. Use a .30 cal for less gas in the face. It helps manage recoil as well.

As said before add weight to the sock (it will off set the silencer droop too)

If using a SP1 stock fill a sock with sand.. then put it in the butt stock cleaning kit compartment. (I know people with lead shot in them... But that is freaking HEAVY!
Good point on the noise. Doubling up on ear protection can go a long way too.
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
imyomama
Silent But Deadly

Post by imyomama »

I have a tc pistol with a 12" barrel and factory TC comp.. that thing has no kick at all .. i mean zip , nada , 0! I don't know how they did that , but shooting 55 grain ammo of sandbag , not even holding the gun , just the thumb on the grip and finger on trigger, I can pull the trigger and the gun goes off without moving at all... I just did that to show someone how little this gun kicks.. he could not believe it either ... I should do a video .. it's pretty amazing ... however , under a tin roof it's loud as hell!!

anyway for a kid , with recoil in mind , I'd look at one of those... i'm not sure what paperwork you'd have to do to make it legal to shoot with a stock , but like you said if recoil is the issue , this is the least recoil 223 I've ever seen..
-------------------------------------------------------
"Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie?" --- Clint Eastwood --- The Outlaw Josey Wales
Tom12.7
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tom12.7 »

I've setup a trip to a local range with my wife, my buddy, and his daughter. Gonna bring out my softest shooting AR stuff for her to try out. Maybe that way I can get a better idea of what works for her.
We'll see what happens.
Tom
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

I run a YHM Phantom 762 on my AR (for lack of funds to afford better) and the extra muzzle-weight makes recoil next to nothing. A good silencer is probably the best accessory for mitigating recoil and the intimidating muzzleblast. Just take appropriate steps to reduce the gas-in-face effect (be it the silicone sealant method, gas-buster charging handle, piston system, etc.)
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
Tom12.7
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tom12.7 »

It's kind've funny how peoples idea of what they want change after spending some range time on some different guns.
Good news is I'm putting 2 guns together for them. Bad news is that I have to put one together for my wife, oh well..
Tom