Integral Suppress Bolt Action

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

USMC0351
Silent But Deadly

Integral Suppress Bolt Action

Post by USMC0351 »

I was given a Ruger 77/44 a while back to have suppressed. It was stolen from a UPS facility while being shipped to be built and I'm looking to replace it. I don't know if I want to use the Ruger or the .44 as my base for my first integrally suppressed rifle, though. My planned use is hog hunting, so I don't want to go with something like a .223 or .308 using subsonic loads as they don't pack much energy (I figure a 180 grain .308 sub-sonic is about the equivalent of a .40S&W). Is there any advantage, besides ballistic coefficient to the 300 BLK over the .44 Magnum, both loaded to subsonic velocities? I'm looking to have John's Guns do the work as I have been on Tom Denall's waiting list forever and just want to get the project done. Any recommendations for easy rifle/caliber combinations for this project? Any experience with the .338 Whisper...launching 300gr. bullets would be great for my needs. Thanks.
Last edited by USMC0351 on Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Re: Integral Suppress Bolt Action

Post by Ben B. »

Consider a .45 integral from SIA? I load 230 gr XTP at 1,000 fps, and if you use .45 Super brass may be able to make or buy .45 Super loads like Buffalo Bore's 255 flat nose leads at 1075 to 1100 fps.

The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.
Thomas Jefferson

USPSA FY60903...B-class SS, B-class L10, B-class Prod.
IDPA A30195...Expert CDP, Master SSP
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

I've got a 96/44 (lever action) that I plan on building an internal suppressor around eventually. I'm casting these 300gr monsters for it (and my handguns). They really do pack a punch.

USMC0351
Silent But Deadly

Post by USMC0351 »

I'm really starting to lean towards a .338 Federal with 300gr. hard cast lead bullets. Seems like a pretty economical route since I could also fire factory loads if needed. I wonder why all the companies charge a premium to suppress a subsonic rifle over a subsonic pistol caliber rifle?
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

Red Jacket makes a .458 socom integrally suppressed for hogs. From what I hear it is not only a game changer but a whole new market has opened up around it. LOL
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
USMC0351
Silent But Deadly

Post by USMC0351 »

I'm sure it has some knockdown power! I just really want a bolt gun, though. I have considered the .458 SOCOM, but haven't found much info on its use in bolt rifles.
USMC0351
Silent But Deadly

Post by USMC0351 »

Ben B. wrote:Consider a .45 integral from SIA? I load 230 gr XTP at 1,000 fps, and if you use .45 Super brass may be able to make or buy .45 Super loads like Buffalo Bore's 255 flat nose leads at 1075 to 1100 fps.

I keep checking back, and it looks like they aren't far off from production on a near-replica of the DeLisle, which was the original suppressed rifle that got me interested in Class 3. One is on my wish list, but for this project I'm looking for something that will knock down large hogs. I just don't know if I'm better off sticking with a .44 and essentially loading heavy .44 Specials to make it subsonic with a decent payload, or getting a custom barrel and finding a mould maker to make me 250-300gr. .338 Federal bullets that I can load to subsonic velocities. Both have the option of factory ammo being fired through it at supersonic velocities, though .44 Magnum ammo is plentiful around my house and cheaper than .338 Federal, but the .338 Federal will give me a little more range hunting.
USMC0351
Silent But Deadly

Post by USMC0351 »

L1A1Rocker wrote:I've got a 96/44 (lever action) that I plan on building an internal suppressor around eventually. I'm casting these 300gr monsters for it (and my handguns). They really do pack a punch.

Those look great. Where did you get your mould? I'm concerned about the barrel twist for 300gr. if I go with the 77/44, again.
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

USMC0351 wrote:
L1A1Rocker wrote:I've got a 96/44 (lever action) that I plan on building an internal suppressor around eventually. I'm casting these 300gr monsters for it (and my handguns). They really do pack a punch.

Those look great. Where did you get your mould? I'm concerned about the barrel twist for 300gr. if I go with the 77/44, again.

Thanks. I got the mold from Miha Prevec in Slovenia. He makes custom molds for group buys on the cast boolits forum. He is currently out of that mold. Typically he waits until at least 15 people want a mold before doing a re-run.

I've read of people having trouble with the slow twist of the 77/44 and heavy bullets. I have not had too much trouble with mine on this bullet, but I'm not pushing it very fast. I did look at one time to see if anyone made a faster twist for the 77/44 but couldn't find any.

Miha has a web site where you can take a look at, and buy what he has in stock.

http://www.mp-molds.com/
USMC0351
Silent But Deadly

Post by USMC0351 »

I haven't had any luck finding 300gr. .338 lead bullets or moulds, and that is a major factor in which caliber I build. I looked at the .308 subsonic, but essentially, it is a 180gr. .40S&W when you're done with it, so I need something to launch a heavy enough bullet right at the speed of sound. If 300gr. SMKs are going to be about my only option in .338 Federal, then it just takes a lot of the economy out of the caliber for a dedicated subsonic rifle. I'm hoping to keep getting others' input.
Dweezil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dweezil »

Does it have to be a bolt gun? I had a 16" bbl Rossi 92 in 45lc threaded for a can. ADCO did the threading. I removed/replaced the barrel and shortened the mag tube myself. (A Savage action wrench turned backward works great on flat sided lever gun receivers.) Easy WECSOG project with rudimentary tools. Even with the can, it's pretty short and balances just forward of the trigger guard. Moving up to 45LC give you the option of launching a 300gr (or greater) projectile with a big, fat killing meplat at subsonic velocities. According to Hornady tech branch, their 300gr XTP is designed to open at subsonic velocities...but even if it doesn't, .452" is pretty big. A fast lever gun with 7 rounds in the tube is great insurance in case your hawg decides he doesn't want to die alone.
"I'm from the government...I'm here to help."
USMC0351
Silent But Deadly

Post by USMC0351 »

I'd love to see some photos of your setup, if you can post them. It doesn't have to be a bolt gun, but I really want to do it as an integral rather than a muzzle can, which is one of the limiting factors to action type.
Dweezil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dweezil »

Lets see if I can figure this out. I'm computer stupid.

[img]http://imgur.com/yjPzx
http://imgur.com/oqZ8m
http://imgur.com/Wzy47
http://imgur.com/QUXP9
http://imgur.com/gBB27[/img]

[imghttp://imgur.com/yjPzx
http://imgur.com/fgR4S
http://imgur.com/eVCz1
http://imgur.com/AX4A3][/img]

...Ok, apparently that worked. Now if someone can educate me on how to post a video, I'll do that as well.
"I'm from the government...I'm here to help."
Richard/SIA
Silent But Deadly

Another Enfield Pic.

Post by Richard/SIA »

Another recent Enfield SC-45 build using a synthetic stock with soft rubber recoil pad.
Also features a vernier rear sight, scope rail, and Hi-Viz front sight.
Test fire using a 4X scope gave very good groups at fifty yards, around 1" when I did my part.
This gun is more accurate than I am. (That may not be saying as much as it used to)

At these prices I want my gas 100 octane, leaded, and my windshield washed!
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

Richard, what scope mount is that? I wouldn't mind getting my scope moved forward a little.
The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.
Thomas Jefferson

Richard/SIA
Silent But Deadly

The Enfield Picatinny rail is my own design.

Post by Richard/SIA »

The Enfield Picatinny rail is my own design.

I was never fully satisfied with what the market offered.
This allows use of the original sights without having to remove the rail, and it sits much lower than most others.
Currently out of stock, plan to make more ASAP, once a few projects are caught up.
At these prices I want my gas 100 octane, leaded, and my windshield washed!
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Re: The Enfield Picatinny rail is my own design.

Post by Ben B. »

Richard/SIA wrote:The Enfield Picatinny rail is my own design.

I was never fully satisfied with what the market offered.
This allows use of the original sights without having to remove the rail, and it sits much lower than most others.
Currently out of stock, plan to make more ASAP, once a few projects are caught up.
I want one. Need an email or phone call?
Thomas Jefferson

ncorry
Silent But Deadly

Post by ncorry »

Douglas makes a fast twist 77/44 barrel. Maybe it's a blank, but my SRT 77/44 came with it, supposedly 1:11 twist.