Chassis and stocks

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

shootertom
Silent But Deadly

Chassis and stocks

Post by shootertom »

Ok, I'm looking to purchase a Chassis or Stock and would like some help in deciding. Ill be placing this on a Rem 700 SA. I would really enjoy some pictures as well as why you chose what you chose and how you like it. Right now its a toss up between a McMillan, and EXR Industries, or waiting on that new Remington Chassis(which waiting would be fine). Im open to other suggestions and ides. Ill be mounting a suppressor on it and its primary use will be target and long range related. A DBM is a must have. Thanks everyone!

-T
shootertom
Silent But Deadly

Re: Chassis and stocks

Post by shootertom »

Somebody's gotta have some nice set ups they want to show off!
zakk
Silent But Deadly

Post by zakk »

how do you feel about the AICS? I think thats the road i want to take. whats the new rem. set up look like?
shootertom
Silent But Deadly

Post by shootertom »

I think the AI's are nice, but they weigh a ton and i've read reviews the the plastic outer coating doesn't always line up good where you join the two halfs together.

The commercial rumination version looks a little different than the MSR or XM2010 chassis, but very similar.

Heres a site with a few pictures. If they release this chassis, it will be the one ill go for.

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/tag/sniper/
Rikky Lee
Silent But Deadly

Post by Rikky Lee »

I'e been running an AICS for over 10 years now and it is a great stock to use. Heavy but absorbs the recoil and, more importantly, it was designed to be shot from different field positions from the start.

With a slicked up bolt and muzzle brake, I managed to get 20 well aimed shots off in a minute at a recent tactical competition.
este
Silent But Deadly

Post by este »

Personally I hate the AICS. Looks cool as s--t, but feels like a brick in the hands.

Now, I have not felt an AI AX yet. That's what I'm waiting to see/feel, as it looks slick and comfortable. It's only a little more expensive than the AI CS and it SEEMS to be lighter, and SEEMS to be higher quality. I think I'll get the AX and drop an AAC SD into it, see if I like it before going crazy on the action and other parts, might go in a different direction depending on weight, size, and caliber (260 vs 308).
shootertom
Silent But Deadly

Post by shootertom »

I really do like the look of the AI as well. Just never had a chance to handle one and get mixed results when people are talking about them.
Glock35
Silent But Deadly

Post by Glock35 »

The XLR Evolution is what piqued my interest...will put something together in the next couple years with one. Probably a 50cal
Rikky Lee
Silent But Deadly

Post by Rikky Lee »

All depends what you want to do with it. A great practical rifle stock and brilliant in non-standard firing positions and putting some tape over the screw hole near the trigger and using a biathalon sling helps too. If you want a range stock or a safe Queen this is not the stock for you.
shootertom
Silent But Deadly

Post by shootertom »

Would you like to post a pic of your AI set up? :D
Rikky Lee
Silent But Deadly

Post by Rikky Lee »

The thumbnail is it.

Old style Model 1 stock but the Atlas bipod is pure GOLD.

Or check out the 458 SOCOM incarnation.

bigdog2003_99
Silent But Deadly

Post by bigdog2003_99 »

i'm looking into a chassis too, i want the msr chassis but who knows how long/how much it will be

i like the aics ax alot and might settle for that, although the drake chassis looks pretty nice (but 2500 is kinda pricey :( )

http://www.drakeassociates.us/content/strike30
shootertom
Silent But Deadly

Post by shootertom »

Awesome build Rikky Lee!

and yeah those chassis are crazy expensive, I hope the Remington's don't cost that much. I want one but not that bad. Ill likely do a Mcmillan if they are too much.
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

shootertom wrote:Awesome build Rikky Lee!

and yeah those chassis are crazy expensive, I hope the Remington's don't cost that much. I want one but not that bad. Ill likely do a Mcmillan if they are too much.

An in-stock AICS with a DBM(comes with) is around 850-900. A McMillan stock is 700 to 900 plus the wait and then add another 350 for your DBM and your looking at 1000+. just my .02. Get whatever makes you happy. Ive had both but prefer the AICS.
shootertom
Silent But Deadly

Post by shootertom »

I really do like those AICS, Ive decided thats likely what Ill go with once if I don't like the price on the Remington RACS. Im not in a huge hurry so waiting shouldn't be a big deal. If the remi costs anything near what the drakes cost theres no way Ill get it.
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

The Remington version is vaporware. Either buy the Cadex (Drake just distributes them) if you want that type of chassis, or get something else, because waiting for the RACS could take years, or never.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
shootertom
Silent But Deadly

Post by shootertom »

Yeah, you've got a great point. If the time comes where I really want something, than it will certainly be something else. Just wish I could try out a Drake before buying one.
Rikky Lee
Silent But Deadly

Post by Rikky Lee »

Just to add to the debate guys. I started using my AICS (6.5 x 47) in 3-P shooting off the sling. Apart from being too heavy with the current barrel, the sitting and the prone with the sling is just too easy.

A bit more tuning and I shall be very happy... Just like to upgrade to 1.5 sides for looks...
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

Rikky Lee wrote:Just to add to the debate guys. I started using my AICS (6.5 x 47) in 3-P shooting off the sling. Apart from being too heavy with the current barrel, the sitting and the prone with the sling is just too easy.

A bit more tuning and I shall be very happy... Just like to upgrade to 1.5 sides for looks...

Good to know. I wished I would have gotten the 2.0. What do you think about the viper skins?
kalikraven
Elite Member

Post by kalikraven »

My FDE 1.5 will be here Wednesday... For a AAC rifle of course.
Going a little more discrete here due to some of my opinions...
Rikky Lee
Silent But Deadly

Post by Rikky Lee »

I actually do not like the Viperskins as I have always found the normal AI design to be perfectly serviceable. My feeling is that as a cross-over from ARs and other pistol grips - fine an dandy - but I'm struggling to find the problems that other people talk about. My key fix is a length of electrical tape over the gap that is directly under the trigger.

With a muzzle brake the 6.5 x 47 using 142 SMKs recoils like a 22lr and I can get 20 well aimed shots away in a rattle battle in one minute exposure (hint - slick the bolt first).
goteron
Silent But Deadly

Post by goteron »

I love that .458 Socom gun. Details!!!
What if my greatest disappointments
Or the aching of this life
Is the revealing of a greater thirst this world can’t satisfy
Rikky Lee
Silent But Deadly

Post by Rikky Lee »

The 458 socom is a lovely beast in the AI bolt gun. The red tips are 325 Hornady but I built it run with 500 plus grain bullets at 1050fps. It has an 18 inch barrel turned to a straight 0.9 inch diameter.

The thing with bolt guns is that you can run them faster than AR-15s and my starting load with the 500 grainers was a chrony'd 1600fps with no obvious pressure signs in my rifle. That is looking competitive with the bigger cases!

Sadly, I put a 6.5 x 47 Lapua barrel into this action and it is far too accurate for match shooting that I am too scared to take it out and play more with the 458. Need another action now!!!
ChrisF
Silent Operator

Post by ChrisF »

What twist is the 458 Socom ? , and what brand barrel is it ?

Cheers Chris