AR pistol question

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

WooD
Silent But Deadly

AR pistol question

Post by WooD »

I was thinking it might be cool to build a 22LR AR pistol. I'm not sure if they sell a cap to go where the buffer tube would, but I could have one made if they didn't.

If I buy a lower that has never had a stock on it. Will I need to fill any type of forms? Would the shop or FFL if I order one register it as a pistol, or other type weapon?

I would basically be similar to the S&W AR type pistols, except no plastic.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: AR pistol question

Post by Bendersquint »

WooD wrote:I was thinking it might be cool to build a 22LR AR pistol. I'm not sure if they sell a cap to go where the buffer tube would, but I could have one made if they didn't.

If I buy a lower that has never had a stock on it. Will I need to fill any type of forms? Would the shop or FFL if I order one register it as a pistol, or other type weapon?

I would basically be similar to the S&W AR type pistols, except no plastic.
I have seen the caps around but not recently, we were going to do a run of the caps like you mention but we are a little out on that.

You have to transfer it via 4473. It will transfer as a stripped receiver from your FFL.

It all depends how it comes in from wherever they order it from.
WooD
Silent But Deadly

Post by WooD »

Form 4473 looks like the standard form you fill out anytime you buy a gun...isn't it?

On page 2 section B line 18 it asks if the weapon is a hand gun, long gun, or other. Would it be classed a pistol or other? I'd think pistol, but I read somewhere earlier that it would be classified as other.

I'd get a lower like this.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =273973317
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

WooD wrote:Form 4473 looks like the standard form you fill out anytime you buy a gun...isn't it?

On page 2 section B line 18 it asks if the weapon is a hand gun, long gun, or other. Would it be classed a pistol or other? I'd think pistol, but I read somewhere earlier that it would be classified as other.

Yeah the 4473 is the standard transfer form.

If its a stripped receiver its a stripped receiver. It would be classified as OTHER and written in as a stripped receiver. In order to buy a stripped lower you have to be 21.

DPMS registers their stripped lowers as rifle receivers, so your best bet is to get a Rock River Arms stripped lower those are all registered as OTHER/Stripped Receivers. DPMS may be registering as OTHER/Stripped receiver now but 3 months ago they weren't.

Doesn't matter what the dealer has it documented as it matters about how its documented from the manufacturer when it is made.
WooD
Silent But Deadly

Post by WooD »

Bendersquint wrote:
WooD wrote:Form 4473 looks like the standard form you fill out anytime you buy a gun...isn't it?

If its a stripped receiver its a stripped receiver. It would be classified as OTHER and written in as a stripped receiver. In order to buy a stripped lower you have to be 21.

DPMS registers their stripped lowers as rifle receivers, so your best bet is to get a Rock River Arms stripped lower those are all registered as OTHER/Stripped Receivers. DPMS may be registering as OTHER/Stripped receiver now but 3 months ago they weren't.

Doesn't matter what the dealer has it documented as it matters about how its documented from the manufacturer when it is made.

Well s--t, I guess the DPMS is out. I didn't think it would matter if it was stripped or assembled.

Thanks!
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

WooD wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:

Well s--t, I guess the DPMS is out. I didn't think it would matter if it was stripped or assembled.

Thanks!
When manufactured it has to be declared as to what it is. DPMS doesn't sell any AR Pistols so all are registered accordingly. RRA DOES sell pistols.
-k-
Industry Professional

Post by -k- »

It is legal to make a pistol out of a receiver that has never had a stock and barrel installed at the same time.

I would choose not to make a pistol from a lower incorrectly transferred as a rifle. I would also choose not to make a pistol from a complete lower with a stock, stripped is much easier to know it has never been built as a rifle.
Confederate

Post by Confederate »

Try Bushmaster or Model 1 Sales
Bowen1911
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bowen1911 »

WooD wrote:I was thinking it might be cool to build a 22LR AR pistol. I'm not sure if they sell a cap to go where the buffer tube would, but I could have one made if they didn't.
Spikes tactical has one. Has wrench flats on it that are the same size as the standard fixed stock buffer tube too. I just got one. It works fine for what it was intended to do.
"I notice that everybody that is pro-abortion already has been born."
--Ronald Reagan

Form 1 .22 can
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mq-XG3tn7s0
BISHOP
Silent But Deadly

Post by BISHOP »

What does Bushmaster register their lowers as?

BISHOP
The Rusty wire, that holds the cork, that keeps the anger in, gives way.....
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

BISHOP wrote:What does Bushmaster register their lowers as?

BISHOP
The last time i asked their compliance person said stripped rifle receivers.
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

FYI, Model 1 sells a 22 pistol endcap

http://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm?fu ... ory_id=430