Too many choices...

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

BretJ
Silent Operator

Too many choices...

Post by BretJ »

Picking up my TM CHD in the next few days. Torn between the Savage mkii FVSR or the Ruger 10/22-FS.. Should I go for tack driving bolt action or semi-auto goodness? Both have their good points but I am going nuts trying to decide and "buy both" is not a valid choice.....
50 years old and I am as spun up trying to choose as a 6 year old in a toy store.
"The opposite of hero is not villain. It is bystander."

"In doing what we ought we deserve no praise, because it is our duty."
Saint Aurelius Augustine

Bret
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Too many choices...

Post by Bendersquint »

BretJ wrote:Picking up my TM CHD in the next few days. Torn between the Savage mkii FVSR or the Ruger 10/22-FS.. Should I go for tack driving bolt action or semi-auto goodness? Both have their good points but I am going nuts trying to decide and "buy both" is not a valid choice.....
50 years old and I am as spun up trying to choose as a 6 year old in a toy store.
Depends how much ammo you want to shoot and what style of shooting you like.

I would say 10/22, that way when you want to blast you can and when you want accuracy you can just change your style.

Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

Assuming you have no other 22 rifles, I would agree with B, get the 10/22. As much as I talk about how ridiculously awesome the FVSR is :D I think if you have just one, the 10/22 is it. Mine still shoots very well, even in stock carbine config. Only things I've done to it are add a very cheap 4x scope, bolt release mod (with my dremel), and chopped/threaded the barrel.

All that being said, buy the "Tactical" model. The barrel is already shortened to 16" and threaded, which will save you $50-100 (without necessarily being $50-100 more than the regular model). It's also still fairly quiet, just feed it subsonics or CCI Standards, whichever is cheapest that will reliably run in it.
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

I to like the 10/22. You can buy a bone stock one for less then 2 bills at wally world. Then you can always "upgrade" to a better stock, barrel and any other parts you desire.
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart »

rogerme wrote:Then you can always "upgrade" to a better stock, barrel and any other parts you desire.
That's why a lot of 10/22s end up being $1,000+ guns. :lol: :lol: :lol:

But I love mine and if I could only have one .22 rifle, that would be it.
"And by the way, if you're gonna take up a hobby of letter writing, you might want to learn how to spell "writing" you stupid F--k." - Nighthawk re kwikrnu
Buzduk
Silent But Deadly

Post by Buzduk »

I have a very accurate 10/22. That being said if I get another host it will be the savage bolt. I have had the 10/22 for almost 20 years and it has never let me down! I'm not trying to make it tough on you but whatever you get will be great and on the flip side you will always want the other one! :lol: Sorry. Just the way it is.
Matt
Form4
01 FFL / 03 SOT
(631) 721-6201
http://form4.org/
BretJ
Silent Operator

Post by BretJ »

Wahnsinn wrote:Assuming you have no other 22 rifles, I would agree with B, get the 10/22. As much as I talk about how ridiculously awesome the FVSR is :D I think if you have just one, the 10/22 is it. Mine still shoots very well, even in stock carbine config. Only things I've done to it are add a very cheap 4x scope, bolt release mod (with my dremel), and chopped/threaded the barrel.

All that being said, buy the "Tactical" model. The barrel is already shortened to 16" and threaded, which will save you $50-100 (without necessarily being $50-100 more than the regular model). It's also still fairly quiet, just feed it subsonics or CCI Standards, whichever is cheapest that will reliably run in it.
All over it. The "tactical" is the FS model. One of the local dealers has it for 260.00 though I may be able to go lower. Just bought two PT1911's from him so I would hope so...

For what it's worth, I went ahead and ordered a package of AR thread spacers from silencerstore.com figuring I was going to buy the 10/22FS. Seems the thread length on these are the AR style and too long for most .22 cans. The spacers are designed for situations like this.
"The opposite of hero is not villain. It is bystander."

"In doing what we ought we deserve no praise, because it is our duty."
Saint Aurelius Augustine

Bret