redtazdog
Elite Member

AR 22's hand guard and barrel lengths the look you desire

Post by redtazdog »

I see some are trying to figure out what barrel length will give the look with
what length barrel.
This will help with the short barrel builders :wink:
AR dedicated 22 barrel length and hand guard fit for SBR and Pistol builds
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-

The muzzle threads will be at the end of a hand guard with

5.5" barrel and a 4.25 hand guard
8.25" barrel and a 7" hand guard
10.25" barrel and a 9" hand guard
13.25" barrel and a 12" hand guard

add .500 for exposed threads ouside of the hand guard if needed.

Some hand guards are .25 to .50 longer, add barrel length to get the look you like.
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––-

For a 5" suppressor to be exposed aprox 1" outside of a hand guard you will need.

4.5" barrel and a 7' hand guard
6.5" barrel and a 9" hand guard
9.5" barrel and a 12" hand guard

Some hand guards are .25 to .50 longer, add barrel length to match if needed.
This is a 4.5" barrel
If you notice only 3.5" of the barrel is from the front of the reciever where the hand guard would start to the muzzle,
this leaves 1" inside of the reciever in front of the hand guard when it is on.
Example
If you have a 6.5" barrel - 1" inside the reciever in front of where the hand guard would start then you will
only have 5.5" of barrel under the entire hand guard from one end to the other.
Add the can length of 5" to the barrel length of 5.5" then deduct the muzzle thread length of lets say .400
you then end up with 10.1" of barrel and can.
With a 9" hand guard you can will be exposed 1.1" and that is plenty to get a grip on.
I have build many with only 1 inch a can exposed and its enough to get a good grip. Image
some example pictures
A 4.5" barrel and a 7" hand guard with a 5" can
A 9" barrel and a 7" hand guard with exposed threads
A 5.5" barrel with a 7" hand guard and a long flash hider
and with a 5" can
A 8" barrel with a 7" hand guard with the threads hidden
and with a 5" can
A 13" barrel and a 9" hand guard
and with a 5" can
A 4.5" barrel and a 7" hand guard with a 5" can
edpdx

Re: AR 22's hand guard and barrel lengths the look you desir

Post by edpdx »

I am working on this build. I have:

Spikes 9mm upper
CMMG® Stainless Steel AR - 15 / M16 .22 Conversion Kit
4.5" barrel of redtazdog manufacture
ST-22 Pistol Plug (ST2P100)
Complete lower

My first pistol build- first time using a 9mm upper.Question: Do I need any other parts not listed- like a different hammer or other lower parts? Will the above conversion kit need a different charging handle. What else is unique parts for this?
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

Thanks again RTD. You're always very helpful.
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

CMMG website doesnt show the 22 kits with the dedicated collars for sale but they have them.
Many people dont know that you can get a cmmg 22 kit with the dedicated collar if you call and ask them when you order the kit.
The 22 kits with the all steel 223 chamber adapters can be converted into a dedicated collar.
The 22 kits with the brass bushing around the 223 chamber adapter like these can not be converted to a dedicated collar
Most all of the 22 kits need a smooth face hammer not a notched hammer as the notch tends to hang up on the bottom of the 22 bolts.
Smooth face like the bottom hammer is good and top hammer with the notch is bad.
edpdx wrote:Image
Its seems all charge handles work except the $75 -$95 gas buster
A floating hand guard/rail, if it fits a AR receiver and doesnt need to attach to the barrel other than the barrel nut then it will work.
If your doing a long rifle barrel with the profile needed for a hand guard to attach too then any hand guard should work.

Spikes 9mm upper will work and so will any other upper
CMMG® Stainless Steel AR - 15 / M16 .22 Conversion Kit will work if it has a collar or a all steel 223 adapter that can be converted into a collar
4.5" barrel of redtazdog manufacture will work with a dedicated collar or converted 223 adapter
ST-22 Pistol Plug (ST2P100) these work good
Complete lower with a smooth face hammer will be more reliable to work

My first pistol build- first time using a 9mm upper.Question: Do I need any other parts not listed- like a different hammer or other lower parts? Will the above conversion kit need a different charging handle. What else is unique parts for this?
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

A 4.5" barrel seems to be the magic length to keep most hi velocity bulk pack ammo subsonic.
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

bump for the new guy's to find
Trevor2011
Silent But Deadly

Post by Trevor2011 »

I would love to build something like that. But damn that's another 7 months and 2 weeks wait lol.
biznich

Post by biznich »

Hi Redtazdog. That picture of all those barrels is making me drool. Do you know where I might be able to get a 4.5" .22lr barrel?
xjedix
Silent Operator

Post by xjedix »

Such a tease!!

Any word on those barrels?

-Derek
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

xjedix wrote:Such a tease!!

Any word on those barrels?

-Derek
No barrels yet :?
I found out from my barrel blank supplier that they rampped up on 223 barrel blanks
and put most other caliber blanks on the back burner several months ago, or like last year when the buying frenzy started.
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

biznich wrote:Hi Redtazdog. That picture of all those barrels is making me drool. Do you know where I might be able to get a 4.5" .22lr barrel?
I used to have many at any time until the buying frenzy started.
Try beyerbarrels.com or find a cmmg barrel and have it cut and threaded the length
you want.
deadeye99

Post by deadeye99 »

I have a question I hope isn't stupid. If you use a dedicated 22 barrel do you get rid of the 223 chamber adapter? I have a 30 year old attchison?sp conversion kit and the adapter seems to build up lead and make it inaccurate. Otherwise it is pretty reliable. I have a registered receiver so barrel length isn't an issue and i have a ss sparrow in jail so I have time to do a proper build. Thank you for the great pictures and ideas, Bob
yamatitan
Silent But Deadly

Post by yamatitan »

deadeye99 wrote:I have a question I hope isn't stupid. If you use a dedicated 22 barrel do you get rid of the 223 chamber adapter? I have a 30 year old attchison?sp conversion kit and the adapter seems to build up lead and make it inaccurate. Otherwise it is pretty reliable. I have a registered receiver so barrel length isn't an issue and i have a ss sparrow in jail so I have time to do a proper build. Thank you for the great pictures and ideas, Bob
Yes you loose the chamber adapter.
deadeye99

Post by deadeye99 »

Thank you. I am looking now and I see the seperate collar that is available. These cmmg kits look identical to my attchisson ciener kit. Now I''m wondering if I could just buy the collar and use the kit I already have. Anybody know if cmmg bought them out or if the specs are the same? Redtazdog, as I stated before I have some time. Do you know when you might have barrels again or should I order the beyer? Thanks all. Bob
deadeye99

Post by deadeye99 »

Here is what I ended up building so far. Thank you guys for the help and ideas. The 5.5" flash hider is taking the place of my Sparrow till my stamp comes back. Just need an optic. And yes it is a registered receiver and full auto. Bob
LeftEyeMike
Silent But Deadly

Post by LeftEyeMike »

Where are you ball finding these short barrels?

I would love to build a 22sub upper for my SBR.
deadeye99

Post by deadeye99 »

Beyer barrels or I used http://www.taccom3g.com/AR15_PISTOL_BARRELS.html. His barrels come with the collar for 100 bucks. Bob http://www.taccom3g.com/AR15_PISTOL_BARRELS.html
mikeith

Post by mikeith »

My first post and contribution to the forum

This is a cmmg 6.5" barrel and a Noveske 9" NSR rail.
(i just sold the barrel to buy one of your 4.5" ones and replace the rail with a 7" NSR rail

Suppressor is an AAC element 2

wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

Spikes 9mm upper
Complete lower

Interesting. Do any of the .22 LR uppers need a buffer tube and spring? I just pulled apart my spikes tactical dedicated .22LR upper and i'm not sure it needs a stock. This is a great short term fix while the rest of my stamps come in. I never liked the pistol tubes.
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

wacki wrote:

Spikes 9mm upper
Complete lower

Interesting. Do any of the .22 LR uppers need a buffer tube and spring? I just pulled apart my spikes tactical dedicated .22LR upper and i'm not sure it needs a stock. This is a great short term fix while the rest of my stamps come in. I never liked the pistol tubes.
If the 22 kit/bolt fits in the upper good then there is no need for a buffer tube, buffer or spring.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

redtazdog wrote:CMMG website doesnt show the 22 kits with the dedicated collars for sale but they have them.
Many people dont know that you can get a cmmg 22 kit with the dedicated collar if you call and ask them when you order the kit.

is that the best option? a dedicated collar?
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

wacki wrote:
redtazdog wrote:CMMG website doesnt show the 22 kits with the dedicated collars for sale but they have them.

is that the best option? a dedicated collar?
If you plan to use a real 1:16 twist 22 Lr barrel with the correct bore size for accuracy yes.
If you plan to use the 22 kit/bolt in your AR with a 223 barrel then get the kit with the 223 adapter,
accuracy wont be as good but you will still have fun shooting.
A 22 kit with a 223 adapter slips in the chamber of a barrel, the collar slips on the dedicated barrel
like this