any suppressed ak74s?

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

piglatinhater
Senior Silent Operator

any suppressed ak74s?

Post by piglatinhater »

I just traded around for a 74, and I'm definitely interested in combining my 7.62 can with it.
Whose done it and how was the outcome?

I am aware of the legendary thread issues and the gas ports...
aries14482
Silent But Deadly

Re: any suppressed ak74s?

Post by aries14482 »

I decided to have a gunsmith cut and rethread my slr-106 for 1/2 x 28 threads and had another guy make a custom 1/2 x 28 to 24mm adapter so I can still use the original muzzle attachments.

If you have issues with bolt speed being to fast and causing feeding trouble, try a Wolff "+" recoil spring- though it seems regulating the gas would be a better option if it were possible.

I'm waiting on a Ranger II I plan to use with my SLR-106 and will post a review when I get it.
wacki
Silent But Deadly

Post by wacki »

aries14482 wrote:I decided to have a gunsmith cut and rethread my slr-106 for 1/2 x 28 threads and had another guy make a custom 1/2 x 28 to 24mm adapter so I can still use the original muzzle attachments.
Can you post a picture of this?

Thanks,
20nickels
Silent Operator

Post by 20nickels »

CNC warrior has 1/2 x 28 to 24mm adapters.
oozing personality
aries14482
Silent But Deadly

Post by aries14482 »

I wouldn't trust an adapter without having everything checked. My can isn't concentric using just a CNC Warrior adapter on the 24mm threads. If only they hadn't made the little cone-shaped relief cut on the inside where the muzzle could otherwise be used to index the adapter and can... Instead, the adapter indexes on the face of the outer ring of the front sight base, which at least in my case, isn't flat even with the muzzle- it sticks out a little further at the 7 o' clock position, iirc..

I haven't had the thread job performed yet. I thought I had everything lined up, but delays on my end resulted in checking back with the smith a few months ago to find that his prices had gone up significantly. I haven't had much luck finding anyone else willing to try it- many seemed very reluctant to use the cut-back FSB as the shoulder for the can.

I'm looking at trying to have a custom adapter made similar to the cnc warrior adapter mentioned, but specifically designed to index off of the AK's muzzle. The can can then be attached to the adapter using rocksett and the adapter attached and held in place either with rocksett alone or with rocksett and a notch to make use of the muzzle brake retainer pin.
aries14482
Silent But Deadly

Post by aries14482 »

Just wanted to update that I found a local smith willing to do the thread job for MUCH less than the other guy, so long as I was willing to press out the barrel myself. No need to remove the gas block, rear sight block, etc. He turned 1/2x28 threads and left enough thread to still be able to use the original brake. It's concentric and works great with my Ranger 2.

My AK with the Ranger 2 does give some pretty bad gas-in-face through the rear of the dust cover. I'm going to try some sort of home made rubber seal around the recoil assembly to try and block it. I may also drill and tap the gas block for a set screw to reduce the velocity of the bolt assembly. I've still got my Wolff "+" recoil spring in place, but I'm worried about other parts that may be getting greater stresses than necessary.

66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Post pics of end cap strikes .:)
aries14482
Silent But Deadly

Post by aries14482 »

The threads and shoulder were turned centered on the bore, I attached and checked the can's alignment (looked down the bore) while the barrel was still out of the weapon and it is visually concentric. The shaft of a close-fitting aircraft drill bit was carefully inserted into the barrel and through the can, and that also showed that the can is concentric with the bore.

What makes you think there will be end cap strikes? Do you know something I should be aware of?
aries14482
Silent But Deadly

Post by aries14482 »

Nice. Gunshop owner (or employee) pops in, takes a crap in a thread, then disappears without explanation.

Way to 'represent' 66427vette. I know if I were in MO, I'd be contacting you for services in the future. :roll:
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wahnsinn »

Yeah I'm not really sure what he meant either, maybe he was just poking some fun :D I've been running my YHM can on both AKs (Draco and WASR10) without issue for a while now...factory threads even, with the YHM mounts.
Wakko
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wakko »

66427vette wrote:Post pics of end cap strikes .:)

Heroes never die.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Joke . They are the most prone gun to get strikes from what we have seen and the suppress like crap. Ak thread jobs are very hit and miss . Adding adapters in mix just can lead to tolerance stacking.
Last edited by 66427vette on Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

aries14482 wrote:Nice. Gunshop owner (or employee) pops in, takes a crap in a thread, then disappears without explanation.

Way to 'represent' 66427vette. I know if I were in MO, I'd be contacting you for services in the future. :roll:

I missed your post. Sorry I have 3 multi million dollar runway projects going with my other company.
Wakko
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wakko »

Shiiiiiit, a truck fulla Guatamalans can pave that in a day! :o
Heroes never die.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

We invented the machines that turn 4 foot thick concrete in to gravel . The money is in the demo.
http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv14 ... F2459F.mp4
Wakko
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wakko »

Wow, that's insane. How tedious is THAT?
Heroes never die.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Very boring .Machines are automated via gps and hydrolucs are run buy computer.We pay morons 65 an hour to shut them off if something goes wrong. I / we just babysit them.
aries14482
Silent But Deadly

Post by aries14482 »

No adapters or boogered factory threads to cause issues here.

For the benefit of anyone who wants a suppressed AK-74, You'll need to either:

1. Have a gunsmith check the 24mm threads for concentricity and check the 'face' of the FSB to ensure it is perpendicular to the bore,
2. Use an adapter (like the one made for the Gemtec Halo) or quick attach muzzle attachment that indexes on the muzzle,
or
3. Use the method I (and another fellow on this board) employed: turning 1/2x28 threads and using the FSB to supplement the barrel shoulder.

The barrel was removed, located on the bore (not the OD of the barrel), and turned. Barrels with AK-74 dimensions have an issue with 1/2x28 threads, in that they just have a large enough OD near the muzzle for 1/2" threads, leaving little extra for a shoulder. The solution is to use the front sight base (which is pressed onto the barrel and double pinned) as an "extended shoulder." The suppressor still makes contact with the barrel's shoulder- the extended shoulder just ensures that the suppressor can't somehow work its way over the shoulder because of over-tightening, impact, etc.

Vette, maybe it's just the lack of inflection in the typed word on the internet, but you come across as a douche, man. Do you have personal experience with AK-74's, that have had this type thread job done, and have caused baffle strikes with suppressors? So far, you've contributed a few useless anecdotes and comments, with pictures no less, indicating that this thread isn't worth your time because you have more important things to do.

The factory AK threads are indeed mostly "miss." They are made with only enough precision to ensure their intended attachments don't encounter bullets. Suppressors are not intended attachments. Otherwise, any thread job done by a third party that ends up as a "miss" was improperly done or not screened as a bad barrel to begin with. It's not like threading an AK for a suppressor is a roll of the dice.

I honestly don't know why people say AKs suppress like crap. You get more port noise- that's it. This is only noticeable in the immediate vicinity of the shooter. With plugs on, it's like the difference between a 133dB can and a 140dB can. If you're shooting semi-auto rifles suppressed without earpro, you're getting hearing damage no matter what as the port noise from even an AR15 is still over 140dB. If you are using the can to reduce concussion indoors, under a metallic roof, or avoid the notice of others (like noise sensitive neighbors), it's the same as when used on an AR15.

Someone needs to make an adjustable gas block for AKs that presses and pins in place and doesn't weigh significantly more than the OEM unit. That will go a long way toward reducing the 'AKs suck suppressed' impression. They're overgassed even before a suppressor is added.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

Typing from my phone . Sorry not enough time to satisfy you. Just not impressed with the silenced ak platform neither are most people in the know. Lets not turn this in to ar15.com. Seen lots of them threaded the right way still go bad could be alot of the ammo for the platform is crap. If you like it stick with it .
aries14482
Silent But Deadly

Post by aries14482 »

Ok, gotcha. My apologies, but your brevity came across to me as flippant and dismissive. I gotcha on typing on a phone. I hate typing on a phone and texting, so I understand completely.

I really am totally satisfied with the sound performance, but I knew what I was getting into and may have different expectations than most. Side by side with my 16" AR, which has adjustable gas via a WAR upper, I really don't notice a huge difference. I can definitely detect a more prominent port pop, in the form of a sharper "crack" upon firing, but since I always wear plugs when shooting rifles suppressed, and my intended uses are blast reduction when shooting under a metal roof at the range and reduced sound signature to avoid run-ins with irritable city-transplant neighbors who flip out when they hear gunshots, it does everything I wanted. I'm also convinced that restricting the flow of gas through the gas block to a level just above what's necessary for cycling would show that the only reason 'AKs don't suppress well' is because of the short distance from the barrel port to open air and the significantly greater volume of gas escaping because of an overly large gas port.

I don't suppose you ever had the chance to examine in detail one of the AKs that was threaded properly, but had a baffle strike have you? I'd love to be handed a case like that and pour over it until I figured out the cause. The only things I can think of, in the case of a proper AK-74 thread job, are that the front sight base shifted somehow, allowing the suppressor to tighten past/roll over the tiny sliver of barrel shoulder, thus losing concentricity, or that some ammunition suffered a jacket separation or failed to be stabilized by a poorly made barrel with an improper twist or oversized bore diameter, like was seen in some Century AK-74s/Tantals a few years ago.

I actually suffered a very light strike already, when the can was mounted on a BCM CHF 16" lightweight midlength AR barrel. I posted images here and Bendersquint commented that he believed it was likely due to a bullet fragment or other small foreign matter strike.

Again, I apologize for seeming testy, further apologize for my long-winded nature, and welcome any details you can remember.