Considering a can for a Marlin XT-22 bolt action rifle

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

trigger96

Considering a can for a Marlin XT-22 bolt action rifle

Post by trigger96 »

Alright gang this will be my third can, I'm sure it will be fun as hell to run a can on a Marlin bolt action model XT-22 rifle. I would like to find out if anyone out there has any experience with one, and would be willing to recommend a can that won't break the bank. The rifle was a pkg deal with a Marlin scope (no idea who they contracted for the scopes) and the whole thing came out to about $260 so far. It has a synthetic stock so it's gonna look kinda bad ass with a bipod mounted as well (can we say mini me sniper rifle). How much would it cost to thread the bbl, and where I can find a thread protector for it?

I found out the scope is a Chinese 1201 H & R, it will have to do 'til I upgrade.
Last edited by trigger96 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
The more you hold us down the more we press on...
Creed
volt

Re: Considering a can for a Marlin XT-22 bolt action rifle

Post by volt »

No experience with that rifle. As for threading, I had Jim at JP Grips and Machine thread a Buckmark rifle barrel and include a thread protector last summer for around $80. Turned out great.
http://www.tiptopwebsite.com/websites/i ... 7jp&page=1
trigger96

Post by trigger96 »

Looks like I'll be going with the AAC Pilot II, Nikon P-22 2-7x32 Matte NP (Extra Turret) scope and a HBRM Harris Bipod 6" to 9" with notches and a 747 - "S" Lock. When it's done it will be a nice little "mini me" sniper rifle at a fraction of the cost.
Creed
trigger96

Post by trigger96 »

Time for an update. I took the Marlin XT22 to The Arms Room. The smiths did an excellent job fitting a Boyds stock and installing a cheek rest and adjustable butt sock kit. Since it was already there I had them thread the bbl for my Huntertown Guardian can. Considering the price and user serviceability on a can with a lifetime warranty, I figured it would be worh a shot. I also picked up a Nikon P223 scope for it.
Creed
Sparrow_27

Post by Sparrow_27 »

Have any pics of the final product? Sounds like a nice setup. My buddy has the XT-17 and it would be an awesome gun with a threaded barrel for a can.
Silencerco SS Sparrow