Advice on Rimfire rifle host?

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Fire_Medic
Silent Operator

Advice on Rimfire rifle host?

Post by Fire_Medic »

How's it going guys, looking for some input/feedback here.

I have been researching here and other forums like crazy, but a few of the forums seem biased to one brand or the other. I thought here opinions might not be as biased as its just a "Rimfire" section and not by brand.

I would like a nice bolt action .22 for range use and plinking fun, that comes threaded or I can have threaded, and slap a nice Mueller scope on.

I have narrowed it down to a Savage or a CZ 452. Any opinions on which to go with and why? I am not a tiny person so would prefer not having a youth size rifle. Been looking at the Savage FVSR and TRRSR and the CZ 452 American and Varmint.

Thanks for your time
FM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Wahnsinn
Silent But Deadly

Re: Advice on Rimfire rifle host?

Post by Wahnsinn »

Quick quote from a post I made a while back on it:
Savage MkII FV-SR. 16.5" barrel, factory threaded 1/2x28, ridiculously accurate, trigger is fantastic, definitely on the less expensive side of things. Very very tough to beat. Unless you require the nicer stock of the CZ, get the Savage. I personally like the factory stock that comes with the Savage, keeps it lightweight as that's what I want it for, lightweight, handy rifle to hike around with, yet still accurate as any gun I've shot at 50yds (it is a 22lr after all ). And of course it being a bolt gun, you toss a decent can on there and the loudest noise you hear is the firing pin dropping.
The real difference between the two guns is the stock (and price of course). Both guns will shoot amazingly well. If money is no matter and you love the look of the CZ, then get it (you will need a thread adapter I believe). If money is a concern, get the Savage, you will still not be disappointed with it.

I don't know if it's an issue with the CZ, but depending on if you use the rail on the FVSR and what height rings you use (and scope size), you will need a cheek riser. My FVSR (Lipsey's version) just uses the regular scope mounts, so I was able to use a 40mm obj scope with some lower mounts and I don't need a riser, but the rail on the factory Savage guns sits up higher.

The TRRSR is a longer, heavier version too, so keep that in mind. FVSR is a nice compact gun.

My choice is still the Savage, it's still one of my favorite guns to shoot and I bring it out with me just about every time I shoot (had it coming up on 2yrs now).
Fire_Medic
Silent Operator

Post by Fire_Medic »

Wahnsinn,

Thanks for your input. I have a G19 I'm going to try and unload at a local gun show tomorrow and the funds will go towards my .22 project. Just wanted some insight on the two brands in case I run across anything at the show.

Then I can shop around for the .22 can and get paperwork started.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
1mobum
Silent But Deadly

Post by 1mobum »

If you plan to treat the rifle like you would your wife/mother/daughter get the CZ.

If you plan to treat it rough like a dirtbike/cheap whore/old lawn mower then get the Savage.

Both are great guns
Flipz
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flipz »

I think both are great guns. But, I chose the Savage. It's cheaper, equally accurate imo, and is threaded the correct thread pitch (CZ's are threaded 1/2x20 to my knowledge) so no need for an adapter. I agree that the major difference between the two are the stocks. CZ's stocks are beautiful while Savage's are nothing special. That didn't bother me as I planned to change out the stock on my FV-SR before I even shot it. You truely can't go wrong with either and will end up with a stupid quiet host no matter what.

Obligatory photo: Savage FV-SR with Boyds stock, Mueller APT, and SS Sparrow
Fire_Medic
Silent Operator

Post by Fire_Medic »

Flipz wrote:I think both are great guns. But, I chose the Savage. It's cheaper, equally accurate imo, and is threaded the correct thread pitch (CZ's are threaded 1/2x20 to my knowledge) so no need for an adapter. I agree that the major difference between the two are the stocks. CZ's stocks are beautiful while Savage's are nothing special. That didn't bother me as I planned to change out the stock on my FV-SR before I even shot it. You truely can't go wrong with either and will end up with a stupid quiet host no matter what.

Obligatory photo: Savage FV-SR with Boyds stock, Mueller APT, and SS Sparrow
Thanks Flipz, funny what you just posted is what I'm going for, the same mueller scope is on my radar, and I too would swap the stock on the Savage. I'm leaning towards the savage because I can basically have it with the boyds stock for the same money as the CZ. I won't be shooting any 200 yard rimfire matches with my host so the price being about half on the savage is really attractive to me at this time.

Great looking rifle brother.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Flipz
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flipz »

Thanks!
Those are basically the same reasons I went with the FV-SR over the CZ. And trust me, you won't be disappointed at all. It's got a great trigger, easy to find and cheap mags, and its a real tackdriver. It also comes with some nice extras like the scope base and tactical bolt handle. It's just a real nice rifle overall. The only negative thing about it is the stock it comes with from the factory. But as you've already seen that's easily remedied.
Fire_Medic
Silent Operator

Post by Fire_Medic »

Well found an online retailer that said the FVSr was in stock and couldn't beat the price. $216.99 with free shipping so I placed my order.

My debate now is whether to get a Boyd's Tacticool stock, or the Rhinelands Leopard stock for it. I'm really liking the Rhinelands setup and it's just a tad bit more. Just haven't seen too much feedback on it with the savage rifles, and don't know if the DIP bottom metal and trigger guard will work with it.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Flipz
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flipz »

Just looked up the Rhinelands stock. Looks interesting, but not my taste. Not a fan of thumbhole stocks. But, to each his own. Sounds like it also needs some fitting done by the end-user.
Fire_Medic
Silent Operator

Post by Fire_Medic »

Flipz wrote:Just looked up the Rhinelands stock. Looks interesting, but not my taste. Not a fan of thumbhole stocks. But, to each his own. Sounds like it also needs some fitting done by the end-user.

I think I'm gonna end up with the tacticool and just painting it.

Does it require the bottom metal for the plastic or wood?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Flipz
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flipz »

Not sure I understand the question. But, the Tacticool is made of wood and because of this it needs a metal trigger guard and flat magplate. Those are the 2 main parts of the bottom metal kits. In addition the kit will come with the necessary bolts and screws to attach them to the Tacticool.

From the factory the FV-SR's stock has an integrated plastic trigger guard that is part of the stock and can't be swapped. The magplate on the factory stock is slighty curved and can't be used on the Tacticool.
srt-4_uk
Silent But Deadly

Post by srt-4_uk »

Fire_Medic wrote:Well found an online retailer that said the FVSr was in stock and couldn't beat the price. $216.99 with free shipping so I placed my order.

My debate now is whether to get a Boyd's Tacticool stock, or the Rhinelands Leopard stock for it. I'm really liking the Rhinelands setup and it's just a tad bit more. Just haven't seen too much feedback on it with the savage rifles, and don't know if the DIP bottom metal and trigger guard will work with it.
I bought a Rhineland arms stock for my 10/22 and it was the worst fit I have ever seen. didnt come close to centering in the barrel channel, all the relief cuts for the mag/safety/trigger guard was cut 1/2" too far back so nothing lined up. After countless emails to the company with them assuring I'd get a refund, I filed a Paypal claim and got my money back in a week.
Fire_Medic
Silent Operator

Post by Fire_Medic »

srt-4_uk wrote:
Fire_Medic wrote:Well found an online retailer that said the FVSr was in stock and couldn't beat the price. $216.99 with free shipping so I placed my order.

I bought a Rhineland arms stock for my 10/22 and it was the worst fit I have ever seen. didnt come close to centering in the barrel channel, all the relief cuts for the mag/safety/trigger guard was cut 1/2" too far back so nothing lined up. After countless emails to the company with them assuring I'd get a refund, I filed a Paypal claim and got my money back in a week.
Thanks after some digging I got the Tacticool from Boyd's and the bottom metal, screws, and trigger guard from DIP.

So now just need to decide on scope base, and rings, I'm pretty set on the Mueller APT stock I previously mentioned. Just not sure what size base and rings I need. The rifle comes with a 0 MOA....not sure if I need the 20/25 MOA I see people buying.

I have never had a scope on a rifle before lol.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Fire_Medic
Silent Operator

Post by Fire_Medic »

Flipz wrote:Not sure I understand the question. But, the Tacticool is made of wood and because of this it needs a metal trigger guard and flat magplate. Those are the 2 main parts of the bottom metal kits. In addition the kit will come with the necessary bolts and screws to attach them to the Tacticool.

From the factory the FV-SR's stock has an integrated plastic trigger guard that is part of the stock and can't be swapped. The magplate on the factory stock is slighty curved and can't be used on the Tacticool.
Yeah I found the answer to my question on rimfire central. Ordered the kit from DIP with the trigger guard and bottom metal and the Tacticool.

Thanks for your help so far.

FM
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
srt-4_uk
Silent But Deadly

Post by srt-4_uk »

Fire_Medic wrote: Thanks after some digging I got the Tacticool from Boyd's and the bottom metal, screws, and trigger guard from DIP.

So now just need to decide on scope base, and rings, I'm pretty set on the Mueller APT stock I previously mentioned. Just not sure what size base and rings I need. The rifle comes with a 0 MOA....not sure if I need the 20/25 MOA I see people buying.

unless you plan on shooting 200 yds, you wont need a 20MOA base.
Fire_Medic
Silent Operator

Post by Fire_Medic »

srt-4_uk wrote:
Fire_Medic wrote: Thanks after some digging I got the Tacticool from Boyd's and the bottom metal, screws, and trigger guard from DIP.

Ok thanks.

What's the deciding factor on height for the rings with the stock scope base?
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Flipz
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flipz »

Fire_Medic wrote:
srt-4_uk wrote:

Ok thanks.

What's the deciding factor on height for the rings with the stock scope base?
Take a look at my FVSR in the photo above. Those are "Low" rings (Burris XTR's) used with the Mueller APT and the stock scope base. You wouldn't want your scope any higher. Stick with "Low" rings and you'll be happy. They'll give you a perfect cheekweld.
srt-4_uk
Silent But Deadly

Post by srt-4_uk »

Burris XTR "low" rings are considerably higher than other companies "low" rings. The deciding factor is putting you scope objective as close to the barrel as possible without touching it.
1mobum
Silent But Deadly

Post by 1mobum »

I have same rings as Flipz and I have had no issues.
mjl99

Post by mjl99 »

have you checked the proper ring height determination sticky on rimfire central? it will help you get a set of rings that make the proper clearance. i missed it before i bought my rings. but i still love my fvsr.

redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

Just looking at these custom Savage FVSR's makes me want one so I can make a integral suppreesed barrel to have a nice short quiet package.
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Post by strobro32 »

redtazdog wrote:Just looking at these custom Savage FVSR's makes me want one so I can make a integral suppreesed barrel to have a nice short quiet package.
Let me know if you do. I would want in on that.
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
Fire_Medic
Silent Operator

Post by Fire_Medic »

Got the rifle in today, and the DIP kit and Boyd's tacticool stock were already here, swapped everything over, but going to need some work. The metal around the magwell doesn't inlay evenly front to back, and the phillips head screw for that area doesn't grab well, they didn't include one I had to use the stock one.

Just need to decide on a scope and go read the sticky on rings over on rimfire central as suggested.
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Fire_Medic
Silent Operator

Post by Fire_Medic »

Got it out to the range yesterday to sight it in, was pressed for time only 100 rounds total through it but it's a tack driver and the trigger is ridiculous, lol. 50 yard 5 shot groups can be covered with a dime. Going out again tonight for a little bit wife wants to shoot it.

Went with the Mueller APT 4.5-14 X 40 scope and the burris low rings, Boyd's tacticool stock, and a Harris bipod. Loving the setup and VERY happy with the scope, especially for the price point. Shooting this rifle is so much fun, I see what all the rimfire craze is about now.

Now to just make a final decision on a .22 can and get that going.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒE
Trevor2011
Silent But Deadly

Post by Trevor2011 »

For the money a Spectre 2 or warlock 2 can't be beat. I am waiting on my stamp for the Spectre and can't wait to get it on my savage.