Damage from installing silencer?

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

astoperator

Damage from installing silencer?

Post by astoperator »

I'm thinking of purchasing a 10.5" Colt 5.56 and adding my Trek- Now someone planted the seed that I won't get but a few thousand rounds out of the gun because it's going to get beat to $hit.

Anybody have any experience (good or bad) running a stock SBR/AR platform with a silencer? I shoot maybe 1000 rounds a year (mostly factory Rem. 55gr soft point/FMJ) and don't see that changing anytime soon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Damage from installing silencer?

Post by Bendersquint »

astoperator wrote:I'm thinking of purchasing a 10.5" Colt 5.56 and adding my Trek- Now someone planted the seed that I won't get but a few thousand rounds out of the gun because it's going to get beat to $hit.

Anybody have any experience (good or bad) running a stock SBR/AR platform with a silencer? I shoot maybe 1000 rounds a year (mostly factory Rem. 55gr soft point/FMJ) and don't see that changing anytime soon.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have thousands on all my different guns and after a nice deep cleaning you would never know it was shot suppressed.

Don't listen to whomever filled your head with that nonsense....their probably jealous anyways.
rogerme
Silent But Deadly

Post by rogerme »

I am with Bender on this I got countless thousands of round through my 10.5 upper both suppressed and most on FA. I can still shoot <2 inch groups off the bench at 100 yards with a eotech..
"If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. That's ridiculous. If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid about?"

Clint Smith
astoperator

Post by astoperator »

Thanks gentlemen, I appreciate the quick replies. I figured that was the case, but wanted to get a "second opinion" on the matter.
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

Just make sure you are using a good H or H2 buffer so it doesn't cycle too hard. I use an H buffer and have lots of miles on my 10.5", I disassembled the trigger group not that long ago for a cleaning and found it wasn't even that dirty.
[b]Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?[/b]
gunguy
Silent But Deadly

Post by gunguy »

I have around a thousand rounds through my 10.5 sbr with my poor mans full auto(slidefire stock) with a can on it and the baffles look great. I hear people say that .223 doesn't sound all that good with a can on it, but I can tell you that its well worth the effort to suppress.
AAC Cyclone-BRANDED FOR LIFE MEMBER
bg556
Silent Operator

Post by bg556 »

I'm running a suppressor on a 10.3" barrel. Have had no issues except as of yesterday it double fed 7 times. I'm thinking a pipe cleaner through the gas tube may clear tha problem...unless someone has a better solution to offer.
lostwasthechild
Silent But Deadly

Post by lostwasthechild »

I've got thousands of rounds out of my HK 416 10" with my surefire MINI 556 can. I literally have had to take a wire chamber brush and attach it to a dewalt drill just to tear out the carbon build up on the inside blast chamber of the can and flash hider to keep it from being a pain in the ass to take on and off. You're friend is spitting nothing but lies.

Use often and enjoy,
Lost
Unobtanium
Silent But Deadly

Post by Unobtanium »

bg556 wrote:I'm running a suppressor on a 10.3" barrel. Have had no issues except as of yesterday it double fed 7 times. I'm thinking a pipe cleaner through the gas tube may clear tha problem...unless someone has a better solution to offer.
Yes. Doublefeeds are a magazine problem, and never stick s--t in the gas-tube. I know this is a total necro, but maybe it will help someone who does a search and runs across it.
Badfinger

Post by Badfinger »

I'm not sure what you think will be damaged but if I were concerned I might install an adjustable gas block......but I'm not :mrgreen:

You can't miss fast enough to make-up for a well placed shot.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Several(?) thousand rounds a year with a suppressed SBR AR. The suppressor may suffer, but the host never has.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick