Just finished my SKS project

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Rumnhammer

Just finished my SKS project

Post by Rumnhammer »

I just finished my SKS project, and wanted to post some pics. I saw a pic of an SGworks kit about 2 months ago and got a major case of the gotta havits. I started looking for a SKS to mod and found one of the Century China Dolls at a gun show for $289 out the door. I got a lot of static for modding such a mint early SKS, but I figure this rifle spent most of its life in a warehouse, and what better to form the base of a project to bring the rifle into the 21st century then one in minty condition.

I actually ordered the kit before I found a rifle to stick it on, because at the time the wait was still 2 -3 months. It used to be more then a year! I actually got the kit after about 4 weeks and that wait is now down to about 2 weeks, so Shernic has got their production running smoothly now.

After I got the rifle I removed a ton of cosmoline, to find the rifle, in fantastic condition, with a bright fresh bore, and zero rust, the rifle still had about 95% of the original bluing on it too.

After cleaning I cut the first 4 inches of barrel off, removing the front sight and bayonet. I sold this piece since I would need it anymore. I then faced the barrel and turned it down on my lathe to 14mm, so I could thread it for 14x1LH AK threads. Then I put a 11 degree crown on it. The next mod was to the bolt. I removed the lower flange on either side of the bottom so that a removable magazine can be added with the bolt closed. Finally I added an aftermarket spring loaded firing pin, to avoid a slam fire. I know it is unlikely, but on a rifle with my supporting hand so close to the end of the barrel I didn't want to take any chances.

My kit arrived and I put it together, it required very little fitment and the kit is top quality. I took it to the range for a shake down, and it performed flawlessly! Even though the barrel has been cut down the SKS has a huge gas port hole, so no cycling problems at all. Finally I duracoated it with an attempt at a Fall Oakentarn pattern, It ended up looking a bit more deserty but I still like the results.
Here are some pics.
Preduracoat

other side

Suppressed

After duracoating

other side

Near leaves

With suppressor

Black mag

In the garden shot

Can you believe this used to be an SKS? Over all length with birdcage is 27 inches, with the YHM hider, it is a little under 29 inches overall, It handles nice and fast, even with my heavy YHM SS phantom on it.
Chris Rummel
Flex01

Re: Just finished my SKS project

Post by Flex01 »

That sure is a nice lookin rifle. now you gave me the gottahaveits. Thanks for sharing.
So, about my sammich....
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

I like that. Thank you for posting all those pictures. I see a lot of work went into it. Congradulations!
ranb
Silent But Deadly

Post by ranb »

That is a change. :) How much weight was added with the kit (not including the can)? I recall reading on this forum a long while back that it was not entirely suitable for use with a silencer. Is it quieter than an AK? My suppressed AK is still rather loud. Can us lefties shoot it without the bolt handle touching the face? Thanks.

Ranb
SilencerTalk was a place I could disccuss making registered silencers without being told I was a criminal. That is no longer true. http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=132&t=99273
Rumnhammer

Post by Rumnhammer »

No weight at all was added, in fact it shifts the weight back, so it handles much better, even with the a heavy silencer on it. I haven't fired it suppressed yet so I can't tell you how much it quiets it.

The 7.62x39 is a loud round no matter what it comes out of, I gather it probably is just as loud as the AK.

This kit is a no go for leftys, that brass would be coming out into your face.

Glad you like it, really didn't have to do too much to the rifle, to make it this way. But it sure is a different rifle now.

Chris Rummel
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

Very nice. Hadn't seen that stock before. It ain't exactly my style, but that doesn't mean you didn't build a really neat project. Nice paint/camo too. Makes the god-awful looking SKS at least bearable to my eyes.
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
DanielWilson
Silent Operator

Post by DanielWilson »

Trigger sloppiness is the bane of many bullpup kits. How's the trigger on this one? And who's kit is it?

I love the concept & yours looks great. I just want to be sure of the trigger before I plan one similar.
piglatinhater
Senior Silent Operator

Post by piglatinhater »

That looks AMAZING