Looking to Buy a Crossbow

Moderator: mpallett

jreinke
Silent But Deadly

Looking to Buy a Crossbow

Post by jreinke »

Our glorious leader (Gov. Scott Walker) recently signed a new hunting law that allows anyone to use a crossbow for archery season starting in 2014. Seeing as my shoulder won't let me draw a bow anymore, I figured that I should buy a crossbow. I've been looking at Barnett crossbows for the most part and of what they sell in my price range <$400, the Quad 400 stands out. The only thing that is a negative factor is the weight, which is 9 lbs. Do any of you crossbow users have another brand and model in a similar price range that you would consider better than or equal too the Quad 400 that's a little lighter?

ETA: Went to the local Cabela's and talked to a person in their archery shop. Needless to say, Barnett is off my list, of all the brands that they sell, Barnett was the most returned for repair. Of the wide selection of crossbow on display, I found one that trips my trigger: the Wicked Ridge Warrior HL.

http://www.wickedridgecrossbows.com/war ... Warrior+HL
[url=http://militarysignatures.com][img]http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member1236.png[/img][/url]
ROFuher
Silent But Deadly

Re: Looking to Buy a Crossbow

Post by ROFuher »

If you are already considering it, disregard, but don't overlook a cocking assist device.
Some brands/models integrate them.

My step father moved to a crossbow after a neck injury made one arm unable to support a regular bow and discovered the cocking device to be a nessesity, especially in a tree stand.

Sorry I don't know what he is using, however.
continuity-TROOPER, 2016
whispershot

Post by whispershot »

jreinke wrote: ETA: Went to the local Cabela's and talked to a person in their archery shop. Needless to say, Barnett is off my list, of all the brands that they sell, Barnett was the most returned for repair. Of the wide selection of crossbow on display, I found one that trips my trigger: the Wicked Ridge Warrior HL.

http://www.wickedridgecrossbows.com/war ... Warrior+HL
I see this thread is several months old, so you've probably already made your purchase. I recently bought a Parker Tomahawk. I liked it because of the compact size, and it has proven to be really accurate. The drawbacks are that you can only use Parker or RedHot bolts with a Parker crossbow (don't really like being locked in), and I do have to carry around a cocking rope and de-cocking bolt. Overall the pros outweigh the cons though; I really like my bow. I will say that the guy at Bass Pro Shop highly recommended the Wicked Ridge crossbows you're looking at.
Santander

Post by Santander »

I was looking for an Xbow in the same price range a few years ago. I read too many stories about needing to restring many of them after only a 100 or so shots so I decided save a little more and buy a recurve that I can change the string on myself. I ended up buying an Excalibur Axiom and have been very pleased with its accuracy.
It was loud at first but I managed to silence it and have been taking deer ever since.
whispershot

Post by whispershot »

Cool! Excalibur is a nice crossbow. I love my bow and my crossbow. They're "silent but deadly!"
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

OK, I'm in the same boat, I shot the Quad 400 and didnt like it because it seemed harsh and the trigger was wonky, (Not Wookie, like Chewy) I ended up going with the Barnett Brotherhood. This bow is not widely promoted and is not bought in huge numbers because I was told by someone that the margin is not very high on it. It is smoother than my buddies Mission or his Excalibur. It has a great trigger, requires almost no maintanence and can be had pretty cheap. It shows a $499 retail but the places are selling it cheap because the retail was just raised to 499 but their contract with The Bone Collector and Brotherhood people is running out so they are dumping them. The Buck Commander is the new group that Barnett is putting on their bows so you should be able to get one for about $399 or less. I got a used one for $300 shipped on ebay that had less than 5 shots through it. Trust me, its 7 lbs but it feels solid and is very nice.

Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!
whispershot

Post by whispershot »

Nice crossbow! I thought all crossbow triggers were "wonkey," but I guess that's because none of them have a Geissele. :lol: