Shoot arrows with your 10/22 or 77/22.

Moderator: mpallett

User avatar
smcharchan
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 2268
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:06 am
Location: VA

Shoot arrows with your 10/22 or 77/22.

Post by smcharchan » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:58 pm

Image

http://www.swivelmachine.com/html/rimfire.htm

I have been eyeballing this thing for a couple years now.

Sooner or later I will get one.

User avatar
redtazdog
Elite Member
Posts: 2432
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:30 am
Contact:

Re: Shoot arrows with your 10/22 or 77/22.

Post by redtazdog » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:58 am

smcharchan wrote:
I have been eyeballing this thing for a couple years now.

Sooner or later I will get one.
.
I have made a few of the barrels, this one I made to use on diferent
22Lr guns.
Image
Image
Image

diablito
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 614
Joined: Tue Jun 17, 2008 12:41 pm
Location: Florida

Post by diablito » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:34 pm

gotta get one of those!!

User avatar
smcharchan
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 2268
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:06 am
Location: VA

Post by smcharchan » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:49 pm

redtazdog, that thing is sweet.

Thanks for taking the time to post pics, but you must share some video!

User avatar
DethRokRyan
Silent Operator
Posts: 51
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:02 am

Post by DethRokRyan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:57 pm

To breath some life into this seemingly dying post...

Better yet, shoot arrows with your AR. More quietly than with a 10/22 or 77/22, too!

Image

User avatar
smcharchan
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 2268
Joined: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:06 am
Location: VA

Post by smcharchan » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:52 pm

It fascinates me that when an arrow/bolt with fletchings passes through the whisker biscuit it is still accurate. In that add they are claiming same hole accuracy to 40 yards, and it has a whisker biscuit.

User avatar
redtazdog
Elite Member
Posts: 2432
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:30 am
Contact:

Post by redtazdog » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:17 am

smcharchan wrote:It fascinates me that when an arrow/bolt with fletchings passes through the whisker biscuit it is still accurate. In that add they are claiming same hole accuracy to 40 yards, and it has a whisker biscuit.
$1400 for that thing :shock:
I like my build for under $10 and very little time to make :wink:

CrazyDoc
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 300
Joined: Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:14 pm
Location: NW FL

Post by CrazyDoc » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:24 am

smcharchan wrote:It fascinates me that when an arrow/bolt with fletchings passes through the whisker biscuit it is still accurate. In that add they are claiming same hole accuracy to 40 yards, and it has a whisker biscuit.

I never had a Problem with accuracy with mine I dont see why they would.


Toole
"If hooking a cat up to a car battery will help cure cancer, I have one thing to tell you. Red is positive and black is negative.

I will say no more."

User avatar
chingon
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 488
Joined: Sun Sep 16, 2007 6:34 pm

Post by chingon » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:28 pm

redtazdog how does that "barrel" work exactly and how much would you charge to make me one.
I always tell the truth, even when I lie

User avatar
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad
Posts: 6635
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:16 am
Location: KY

Post by Selectedmarksman » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:50 pm

I wonder if you could use shorter bolts in your rig, Redtazdog. You'd only have one shot but that would surprise the F--k out of a mugger or home invader, less lethal than shooting with a bullet, too, I'd imagine. The psychological shock of being struck with an arrow would probably end any confrontation.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!

User avatar
redtazdog
Elite Member
Posts: 2432
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:30 am
Contact:

Post by redtazdog » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:24 am

Selectedmarksman wrote:I wonder if you could use shorter bolts in your rig, Redtazdog. You'd only have one shot but that would surprise the F--k out of a mugger or home invader, less lethal than shooting with a bullet, too, I'd imagine. The psychological shock of being struck with an arrow would probably end any confrontation.
The bolts I have are long for a rifle length barrel I made many years ago,
I could cut that thread on barrel down in size like maybe 8 inch and make
some short bolts for it.

BWPerdue
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 809
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:06 pm

Post by BWPerdue » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:49 am

I would also be interested in this...

st33ve0
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 3864
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:47 am
Location: Chattanooga, TN
Contact:

Post by st33ve0 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm

So do you just use those nailgun .22 blanks for that? That's pretty darn cool...might be a lot of fun on a bolt action .22 rifle as well if the center tube was permanently attached...hmmm.

pdemos
Elite Member
Posts: 1946
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:38 pm
Location: OR

Post by pdemos » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:45 pm

redtazdog wrote:
Selectedmarksman wrote:I wonder if you could use shorter bolts in your rig, Redtazdog. You'd only have one shot but that would surprise the F--k out of a mugger or home invader, less lethal than shooting with a bullet, too, I'd imagine. The psychological shock of being struck with an arrow would probably end any confrontation.
The bolts I have are long for a rifle length barrel I made many years ago,
I could cut that thread on barrel down in size like maybe 8 inch and make
some short bolts for it.
Dude you have some serious tech. skills, ever thought of going into business.
I know I want one, very cool !!

User avatar
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad
Posts: 6635
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2005 6:16 am
Location: KY

Post by Selectedmarksman » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:50 pm

A short bolt version for the Ruger Charger would be pretty awesome if you ask me. Have you tried to Chrony your rig, redtazdog? I would love to see some 'ballistics' data on this.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!

User avatar
redtazdog
Elite Member
Posts: 2432
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:30 am
Contact:

Post by redtazdog » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:31 pm

st33ve0 wrote:So do you just use those nailgun .22 blanks for that? That's pretty darn cool...might be a lot of fun on a bolt action .22 rifle as well if the center tube was permanently attached...hmmm.
.
Yes I use the 22 cal nail gun blanks and the first barrel I made was
a turned down 10/22 barrel that I threaded the ouside back around the 3 inch mark on the chamber end then threaded the inside of a 1" tube
for the outer shroud, almost like making a integral seppressed barrel.
I was thinking a single shot TC contender barrel would be fun.

BWPerdue
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 809
Joined: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:06 pm

Post by BWPerdue » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:36 pm

Oh, man...my MKII, shortened Charger, and soon-to-be 10/22 SBR would rock with one of these!

User avatar
redtazdog
Elite Member
Posts: 2432
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:30 am
Contact:

Post by redtazdog » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:40 pm

Selectedmarksman wrote:A short bolt version for the Ruger Charger would be pretty awesome if you ask me. Have you tried to Chrony your rig, redtazdog? I would love to see some 'ballistics' data on this.
.
I need to check the weight on the bolts and croni some with the #5 blanks.
This thing sounds very close to the same DB's as using a can on a 10/22
but a diferent tone.
At first I was having a problem keeping the bolt insert and target tip in the end as they would blow out on the second shot with each bolt, but I found a fix for that.

User avatar
redtazdog
Elite Member
Posts: 2432
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:30 am
Contact:

Post by redtazdog » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:04 am

pdemos wrote:
Dude you have some serious tech. skills, ever thought of going into business.[/quote]
.
Maybe :wink: but my full time job sorta gets in the way.
Sometimes after work and on the weekends i jump on the machines
and make a batch of barrels.
.
These will be AR 1:16 twist 22 lr barrels for pistols and sbr's
Image

pdemos
Elite Member
Posts: 1946
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:38 pm
Location: OR

Post by pdemos » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:34 am

redtazdog wrote:
pdemos wrote:
Dude you have some serious tech. skills, ever thought of going into business.
.
Maybe :wink: but my full time job sorta gets in the way.
Sometimes after work and on the weekends i jump on the machines
and make a batch of barrels.
.
These will be AR 1:16 twist 22 lr barrels for pistols and sbr's
Image[/quote]

Nice, what kind of job could get in the way of building guns. Make sure you let us know if you do go into business. Very cool, 8)

User avatar
Hush
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 65404
Joined: Wed May 18, 2005 8:07 pm

Re: Shoot arrows with your 10/22 or 77/22.

Post by Hush » Sun May 23, 2010 8:33 pm

When we were kids we fooled around with crimped blanks in many ways, in slingshots against brick or cement buildings, one day I found an old knitting needle, just under .22 cal. I built it up in a couple of spots with scotch tape to fit snugly in the barrel of my .22 rifle after removing the bolt (bolt action) and put a crimped blank behind it and fired at a 1" pine board, it penetrated about 8 or so inches, iirc the needle was 10 or 12 inches long.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.

User avatar
silencertalk
Site Admin
Posts: 33985
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:31 am
Location: USA

Re: Shoot arrows with your 10/22 or 77/22.

Post by silencertalk » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:47 pm


User avatar
silencertalk
Site Admin
Posts: 33985
Joined: Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:31 am
Location: USA

Re: Shoot arrows with your 10/22 or 77/22.

Post by silencertalk » Sat Jun 12, 2010 1:49 pm


User avatar
redtazdog
Elite Member
Posts: 2432
Joined: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:30 am
Contact:

Re: Shoot arrows with your 10/22 or 77/22.

Post by redtazdog » Sun Jun 13, 2010 9:09 am

.
I thought about the PSE but the price tag helped me to forget about it
+ I get more speed and energy with the archery barrel with 22 blanks.

jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly
Posts: 2076
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2008 9:15 am
Location: NC

Re: Shoot arrows with your 10/22 or 77/22.

Post by jlwilliams » Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:48 pm

Nice barrels. I've been thinking about trying something like that on an airgun.

Post Reply