Zero ing optic problem

Talk about them here.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Ronzo
Silent But Deadly

Zero ing optic problem

Post by Ronzo »

I recently bought my first ACOG used from SWFA, a used grade B to put on a recently bought flat top 11.5 inch barreled COLT upper.
I mounted the ACOG on my Colt upper and it was shooting 13 inches below point of aim at thirty yards. I ran all the adjustment up on the ACOG till the elevation turrent became difficult to turn as I did not want to break the optic. So it only brought it up to 8 inches below point of aim at thirty yards. My brother suggested shimming the back of the optic in the mount but I haven't done this .
Has anyone had this problem? I need some suggestions what to do next. The flat top upper zero'd fine with the removable carry handle and the BUIS. Any help would be appreciated, Ronnie.
lostwasthechild
Silent But Deadly

Post by lostwasthechild »

ACOG's are awesome sights, but they are not immune to breaking. As an experiment, I zeroed one on a 14.5 inch upper using the 300m stadia line at 25 meters. I then put it on a 10.5 inch upper and shot it again at 25 meters using the 300 meter stadia line. The result was 12 inches low. If you cannot adjust the optic any more, I would say it's damaged. I have never known any optic(ACOG or Spectre DR) to become "difficult" to adjust. Either it has clicks, or it doesn't. As far as shimming a high perfomance optic, Im not to sure about. You can try completely bottoming the sight out and then backing it back out all the way. Do that a few times to get the internals working properly incase it's previous owner did not use it properly.
firefighter509
Silent But Deadly

Post by firefighter509 »

just sited my ta31f in yesterday and it was spot on form the get go I only had to adjust it 2 in up and I was set (zero is at 100 yards)
I MAY DIE IN A DITCH, BUT I WILL BE LYING IN A BED OF BRASS!
LIKE REGAN WATCH THIS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49zqB6qV7hI&feature=related
studly do-right
Senior Silent Operator

Post by studly do-right »

firefighter509 wrote:just sited my ta31f in yesterday and it was spot on form the get go I only had to adjust it 2 in up and I was set (zero is at 100 yards)
How does this help him?

Call SWFA and tell them about it. They may not offer to do anything because it's B grade. If they won't help than call Trijicon and see if they'll fix or replace it. No need to tell them how you got it :wink: .
Do not expose to excessive heat, vacuum, blunt trauma, immersion in liquids, disintegration, reintegration, hypersleep, humiliation, sorrow, or harsh language?
rob_s
Silent But Deadly

Post by rob_s »

Ronzo, when I encounter that issue I always start with taking the optic back to mechanical zero. Take the adjustment all the way to one side, then all the way back to the other counting the clicks the whole way, and then back again half the number of clicks. Same thing for elevation.

Starting in the middle is the best place to begin.

This isn't to say that there isn't something wrong with the optic, but at least it will give you a chance to start from scratch.
WWW.TACTICALYELLOWVISOR.NET
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

I would remove it completely and make sure everything is mounted to the rail correctly. Then start over from Zero.

I would call SWFA and see what they say, as well as Triji.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe
Ronzo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ronzo »

I tried what you suggested Mr. Rob. No Dice. I just got off the phone with SWFA and they are going to let me return the optic and exchange it for a brand new TA01. That is what I call fantastic customer service. I am going to overnite mail it insured and wait for the new one. Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it, Ronnie .
firefighter509
Silent But Deadly

Post by firefighter509 »

studly do-right wrote:
firefighter509 wrote:just sited my ta31f in yesterday and it was spot on form the get go I only had to adjust it 2 in up and I was set (zero is at 100 yards)
How does this help him?

Call SWFA and tell them about it. They may not offer to do anything because it's B grade. If they won't help than call Trijicon and see if they'll fix or replace it. No need to tell them how you got it :wink: .
Ok buddy ill bite,

I though I would just add my experience on how when I went to site in my acog it was pretty much dead on zeroed in. My reason for mentioning this is because it seem that the acog was dead on from the factory and really only needed minimal adjustment for zeroing. Might have been a fluke but that was my recent experience. Or it could show that he is really having a problem and that it is not him.

By the way how does telling him to call trijicon or SWFA help? like he does not know from a life time of experience as a consumer to call and or contact the distributer / manufacture about a defective product? WELL NO s--t

But to each there own.

J
Last edited by firefighter509 on Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I MAY DIE IN A DITCH, BUT I WILL BE LYING IN A BED OF BRASS!
LIKE REGAN WATCH THIS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=49zqB6qV7hI&feature=related
Ronzo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ronzo »

I called SWFA and told them about the problems I was having with the ACOG and that I wamted to exchange it for a new TA01. I overnited the old scope and my new ACOG just got delivered, they billed me 145 dollars for the upgrade. SWFA has been great through this whole affair.
Now to get a flat top mount and a trip to the range. Thanks again for all the replies, Ronnie.