How do you carry?

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

bigbigpig
Silent But Deadly

How do you carry?

Post by bigbigpig »

I haven't found a good way to carry anything but a Kel-Tec .32 pocket pistol. I tried to carry a Glock 23, an M&P, and a P99 and they're all too bulky. I've tried different holsters IWB and OWB and nothing seems to work for me. The gun is always VERY obvious. The gun shop guys said to just wear a sweatshirt over it, but they're husky dudes and the gun conceals easy. I have a 31" waist so there's not as much real estate for the holster. And I live in Florida, so I don't get to wear jackets and stuff most of the year. And when I do wear a jacket and carrying OWB it sticks out of the bottom of my jacket. What's a good way to carry?
MV10
Silent But Deadly

Re: How do you carry?

Post by MV10 »

I live in FL and I've often carried various smaller, flatter 9mm (like a Khar) IWB at about the 5 o'clock position (right rear kidney). Very comfortable. I prefer a Mr. Softy High-Noon holster for IWB.

You'd be surprised what people won't notice.

On the other hand, my full-time always-on-me carry is an LCP in the pocket. They're just too easy to carry to NOT have one on you.
Modern American political discourse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpAOwJvTOio
bigbigpig
Silent But Deadly

Post by bigbigpig »

I'm pretty sure my Kel-Tec and the LCP are about the same size. I carry that in a pocket holster in my back right pocket. But even that doesn't work some times because some brands of jeans have a shallow back pocket.

I guess I should go get a smaller gun in a decent caliber. If I want to carry a 9mm, 40, or 45 my options right now are M&P, HK USP, Glock 23, Glock 19, P99, Sig 226, and a few others that same size. I most recently tried the Blackhawk Serpa. It says "concealment holster" on the box but it is NOT a good concealment holster. The bottom of the gun hangs out below where my jacket falls on all of my jackets.

I had considered a Sig 229 but maybe I should look into a Kahr or a Sig 938. Thanks for the input.
oilfieldtrash76
Senior Silent Operator

Post by oilfieldtrash76 »

I have a crossbreed IWB holster for my sig p238 and a blackhawk IWB for a Glock 27. Ive carried both under a T shirt with no issues. Ive also carried a fullsize 1911 in a Serpa holster outside the belt with only a light, longtail button up shirt over it. I live in Texas so its usually warm here too. When I first got my CHL and started to carry I was very worried and consious about someone seeing my gun. But Ive been all over and never had an issue. Now its just part of my normal dress.
"Peace, That wonderful moment when everyone is standing around reloading!" Unknown

FFL (07)
MV10
Silent But Deadly

Post by MV10 »

Yeah KelTec's .380 is virtually identical to the LCP. If you really want a 9mm, you can always go with a KelTec P11, I think that's about as small as it gets. I've owned three, they all sucked, but they were my carry guns on and off most of my life.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Adjusting your wardrobe to be CCW friendly would be an alternate solution.

Just saying. :wink:
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

continuity wrote:Adjusting your wardrobe to be CCW friendly would be an alternate solution.

Just saying. :wink:

That's what I did. I don't tuck my shirts and I don't wear them too tight or too short.
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
snapshot
Senior Silent Operator

Post by snapshot »

G19C w/ First Spear "soft belt holster". I cut the thumb break off and only use the retention cord.
"And remember, the most dangerous thing in the world is still ignorance." - RYP
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

As Continuity pointed out...you did get his point didn't you?....If you're serious about carrying a serious weapon then you will have to adjust your wardrobe to fit the gun. I've carried everyday for the past 30 some odd years. I vary what I carry at times but 99 percent of the time it is either an Officers sized 1911 or Glock 19. Always a Summer Special style IWB holster. I recently was able to buy the new S&W Shield in 9MM, this might be an alternative for you since it is slimmer and doesn't have the God-Awful trigger of the Kel-Tec's.
MV10
Silent But Deadly

Post by MV10 »

dtom29 wrote:As Continuity pointed out...you did get his point didn't you?....If you're serious about carrying a serious weapon
My dad lives in PA, and he carries all sorts of stuff that would require a heat-stroke-inducing wardrobe to carry in FL. It's good advice in general, but when it's 98 degrees outside with 89% humidity (which we enjoy in FL as late as November some years), more than your carry piece plays into wardrobe choice.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

MV10 wrote:... but when it's 98 degrees outside with 89% humidity (which we enjoy in FL as late as November some years), more than your carry piece plays into wardrobe choice.
You're being obtuse. If you want to go out stark naked, I understand your dilemma. In that case, the size of your butt crack is gonna dictate gun choice.

If you need to do the GQ thing when out and about, see a tailor. I'm lucky. A friend helps me with such things. Amazing what a good seamstress can do. Even with a wife beater T. Can walk around in flip flops, shorts and a wife beater T, carrying a P226 in a Uncle Mikes inside waistband soft holster, with a cross shoulder support strap, put together by my friend. Unless it's a seasoned observer of such things, no one knows I'm armed. You need such a thing, see your local firearm friendly tailor.

Two options. Carry concealed with obvious printing. Or see a good tailor. Printing isn't necessarily a bad thing, just target advertizement. Most people walk about in condition white anyway. Unless you've got a RPG with a reload pouch slung over your back, few will even notice. I know, when I first started this stuff, I thought everyone just "knew" I was carrying. They didn't, it was just my perception.

In general, a size or so larger whatever, is gonna give you what you need. Live on the edge brotha. Let that shirt ride outside your pants. Just don't do the flower pattern huge Hawaii shirt thing with the 80's fannypack. Dead giveaway.

I'm not going to do your deep concealment holster googlefueing for you. Get a holster system that works for you and your perceived... under duress access... availability. There is an option that is fanny pack like, but it rides under your waistline. Intended to be worn in the front. I suppose a side benefit is that passing meat gazer females, that are looking, might wonder just what kinda other heat you're packing. Who knows, it might work out. :mrgreen:

Watch out for the kids though. Had a 6 yo at a grocery store checkout point at me and ask their parent "mommy, why does that man have a gun?". The little snitch apparently saw the butt of my pistol in my back pocket when I bent over to grab an item at the back of my cart. Mom freaked. The cashier freaked. Lady behind me in line freaked... Hell... I freaked. (the kid took advantage of the adult freaking and grabbed a snickers bar off one of the the checkout line racks and had it half eaten before things calmed down) F'in kids will out you every time.

Peace.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
MV10
Silent But Deadly

Post by MV10 »

I'm not being obtuse about anything, but it's pretty common for people who don't live down here to just wave the hand and suggest different clothing.

That being said, I make this point all the time -- including earlier in this thread:
continuity wrote:Unless you've got a RPG with a reload pouch slung over your back, few will even notice. I know, when I first started this stuff, I thought everyone just "knew" I was carrying. They didn't, it was just my perception.
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

I live in the deep south where it regularly hovers in the 90s with 95% humidity (and sometimes with no breeze) in the summer. I changed my wardrobe for concealed carry (Glock 26 or a Glock 19 in a Fobus OWB holster and a spare mag holster).
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
bigbigpig
Silent But Deadly

Post by bigbigpig »

I'm not sure I'm willing to wear oversized clothes just to hide the gun that I want to carry, but I will probably try IWB with a skinnier gun like a Kahr or Sig 938. Carrying OWB was much more comfortable for me with mid and full size guns but like I said it just hangs too low so the end of the barrel is visible under any jacket. Thanks for the replies.
urban assault
Silent But Deadly

Post by urban assault »

Oh hell, I just slide the barrel of the Para P14.45 in behind my thick bullhide belt on my right side between two close belt loops, and it rides down deep in the change pocket of my jeans.

Hugs very tight to my body, and I seem to be able to get to it quick enough. I only ever wear loose tee-shirt shirts, so it never prints.

When I carry my SP101 .357 it's always right-side jeans front pocket carry, so that's a mite slower. Usually one Speedloader loose in my left pocket, or on the left side of my belt.

I do have a customized A.E Nelson shoulder rig that I wore back in my security days for the Para, a combat knife and two mags, but now that generally only gets used on extended car trips because it's more comfortable and access to the gun is quicker.

It ain't perfect, but I've been carrying like this for years and years now.

-urban
Last edited by urban assault on Tue Jan 08, 2013 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

I've lived where it's hot year round. A good IWB holster will keep things cancelled under an untucked t-shirt with no problem. Try the S&W Shield, it is a nice weapon that is just the right size for the problem you're having.
Now, if you want to carry but feel the threat level is low, the KelTec p3at or the P32 in the back pocket of your shorts works well. I also have carried my Kahr PM9 in the back pocket of my jeans with no one the wiser.
SER

Post by SER »

I too am new to full time concealed carry and live in the south east. I have been considering a holster like the one in this link. Scroll down past the hiked skirt and nice legs. :lol:

http://www.firearmstalk.com/entries/Con ... sters.html
Never mistake my silence for submission
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

To be honest, I don't think you'll like it. but then, anybody that has carried for any length of time has a box full of "looks good in the catalog" holsters. Stick with the proven methods. IWB is king, pocket carry is also good with the right gun. You will be suprised what you can conceal under an untucked T-Shirt.There are a lot of small, controlable handguns in 9MM that conceal very well. Kahr PM9, S&W Shield, Keltec PF9(trigger sucks), etc. It's really not as hard as it seems. As was said already, it doesn't have to be foolproof because most people never have any idea of there surroundings and never notice anything.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

as a thought, once one is past the stage of trying to conceal carry a 50 AE Desert Eagle when in the speedo swimwear mode, it's the body language that becomes important.

If one is in the secret service, I'm a badass, sunglasses in the theater mode, you're gonna draw attention. Yep, everyone is gonna be checking you out for... anything.

Cripes, be that guy with the artillery to wipe out a marine squad, that is smiling at everyone, holding doors for the elderly, and generally coming off as everyone's unca bob.

Lose the tough guy body language right up until the point that you, absolutely, positively, need to project force in efforts to reestablish situational control. No really!!!
MV10
Silent But Deadly

Post by MV10 »

dtom29 wrote:but then, anybody that has carried for any length of time has a box full of "looks good in the catalog" holsters.
:lol:

If my wife only knew how much I've "invested" in unused carry holsters...

I just remembered this unique option... "crotch carry," basically.
I know some people who swear by them:

http://www.smartcarry.com/
ariwhiteboy
Silent Operator

Post by ariwhiteboy »

Good advice Continuity...

My standard carry rig is either a Glock 26 in a "MIC" holster or a Colt 1911 in a Galco IWB tuckable holster. I carried the Colt for a long time, now I find myself grabbing the Glock more often. I've tried all different rigs, but those two in the small of my back work best for me in terms of comfort and confidence.

The really nice thing is that my "Work Clothes" make CC very easy. I wear a sport coat year round to work, only taking it off inside my office.
It is a very sad man who requires his opinions to be validated by those around him.

SWR Spectre II (Pending)
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

bigbigpig wrote:... when I do wear a jacket and carrying OWB it sticks out of the bottom of my jacket. What's a good way to carry?
A couple simple questions. Does your jacket actually fit? And what are you trying to carry? Is it a full sized or compact weapon.

A simple slide holster and the Bianchi foldaway are two of my favorite holsters for my P229 and I never have a peekaboo problem under a jacket. When I'm not using these I'm using a fobus paddle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
bigbigpig
Silent But Deadly

Post by bigbigpig »

Sorry I left this thread abandoned for a while... forgot about it.

So like I said I live in Florida on the gulf coast so even in the winter it's not really that cold. I like to wear 1/4 zip pullovers, like this:
http://www.southerntide.com/products/1% ... ollar.html

So the gun does peekaboo quite a bit, and if I do IWB it imprints pretty dramatically.

I appreciate everyone's input and advice here. I believe the bottom line here is that if I'm not willing to alter my wardrobe then I should just be satisfied with a pocket pistol.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

A simple slide holster and the Bianchi foldaway are two of my favorite holsters for my P229 and I never have a peekaboo problem under a jacket. When I'm not using these I'm using a fobus paddle.
ImageThe second photo of the suppressor along the spine was how I carrried for over a decade. When I gained weight and my clothes got too tight to avoid imprint, I switched to Crotch Carry. If you adjust if right, it just looks like you have a sweet package. :shock:
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314