~$1,000 1911 host weapon....suggestions?

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

ol' 30-30

~$1,000 1911 host weapon....suggestions?

Post by ol' 30-30 »

Looking for a 1911 to run with my Tirant 45. ~1,000 (including threaded barrel...thats the kicker). $1,200 would be about my absolute top. I know my budget is going to limit me but can yall point me in a direction. I wish kimber sold a model with a factory threaded barrel. Want a fullsize. I've been looking at the Sig Tac Ops TB and the Scorpion TB. I just decided this week my USP 45 isn't doing it for me. I'm new to the 1911 world. first gun i ever bought was a Springfield mill spec 1911 years and tears ago but I sold it off (still regret it). Are those sigs good 1911's? I own a 226 9mm and love it. Doesn't have to be new so if I can get into a nicer used gun (in great shape) that wouldn't be an issue for me also.
Some people are like slinkies......not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Re: ~$1,000 1911 host weapon....suggestions?

Post by chrismartin »

The Sig's and the Remington R1 Enhanced TB are your only options at that price level.

The Remington (if you can find one or order one) has tall sights, which is a plus.

I'd be getting the Sig Scorpion TB if I were you. I like the FDE/Tan color. If you are more partial to black, to Tac Ops TB.
I run flat triggers in all my 1911's and I like the rail.

Well, If _I_ were buying, I'd get the "carry" version.

There really isn't too many FACTORY threaded barrel models without going custom.
A possible "cheaper" route would be to find a Ruger SR1911 (or a cheaper Rock Island or something) and buy a Storm Lake (or Jarvis, etc) barrel and have it fitted.
$700 or so for the pistol, $250 for the barrel and installed. You aren't really saving much unless you really get a deal on the 1911.
karb

Post by karb »

Eyeballed the remington myself. Coming in right at 1k for threads and raised sights makes
Me look a bit harder though. enhanced for drop in upgrades?

That sig even has a rail! The grip has extra mill work..... I'd say it deserves a closer look ...coming in at 1,100-1,200... Raise sights can be had later
QuIet Noob
Silent Operator

Post by QuIet Noob »

I just bought the Remington R1 and it is now my favorite 45 host.

Cabela's gun library in Allen, TX had two for $819.00 each. They were unfired from a shop that went out of business. I got an additional 10% off on top of that. Nice trigger and great accuracy.

They still had one last Sunday.
ol' 30-30

Post by ol' 30-30 »

it looks like getting a threaded barrel for a kimber is a chore...I can't find many people running kimber with suppressors which surprises me. The more I research the more it looks like my budget is gonna have to go up. I may have to dig through the safe and find another one to sell off....(sigh). I'm going to try and get my hands on a Remington to feel it out.
Some people are like slinkies......not really good for anything but they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

ol' 30-30 wrote:it looks like getting a threaded barrel for a kimber is a chore...I can't find many people running kimber with suppressors which surprises me. The more I research the more it looks like my budget is gonna have to go up. I may have to dig through the safe and find another one to sell off....(sigh). I'm going to try and get my hands on a Remington to feel it out.
There are two issues with the Kimber...

1. Bushingless Bull Barrel
At this point, I think Jarvis is the only one making a bull barrel extended and threaded. Storm Lake used to do it, but no longer. It is said that the bushingless barrels put too much stress on the lower lugs when run with a silencer. Barsto may do it for you as well.

2. If you have a "PRO" model
Not many people make the odd-ball 4" sized bull barrels needed for the Pro models.

If you have a standard size, 5" Gov model Kimber with a bushing barrel, any extended threaded 1911 barrel will work.
If the full sized Kimber you have is a bull barrel, call up Jarvis or Barsto and see if they can make one for you.
ol' 30-30

Post by ol' 30-30 »

chrismartin wrote:
ol' 30-30 wrote:it looks like getting a threaded barrel for a kimber is a chore...I can't find many people running kimber with suppressors which surprises me. The more I research the more it looks like my budget is gonna have to go up. I may have to dig through the safe and find another one to sell off....(sigh). I'm going to try and get my hands on a Remington to feel it out.
There are two issues with the Kimber...

1. Bushingless Bull Barrel
At this point, I think Jarvis is the only one making a bull barrel extended and threaded. Storm Lake used to do it, but no longer. It is said that the bushingless barrels put too much stress on the lower lugs when run with a silencer. Barsto may do it for you as well.

2. If you have a "PRO" model
Not many people make the odd-ball 4" sized bull barrels needed for the Pro models.

If you have a standard size, 5" Gov model Kimber with a bushing barrel, any extended threaded 1911 barrel will work.
If the full sized Kimber you have is a bull barrel, call up Jarvis or Barsto and see if they can make one for you.
It's looking more and more like I'm going to end up with a sig....I've got enough builds going on that I'm still trying to find and I really just want a turn key threaded 1911. I wish I could afford a nighthawk or a Wilson combat but it just isn't in the cards.

Anyone with a sig out there that loves it?

Now it's really a decision on the tac ops or the scorpion I guess....keep the recommendations coming. I'd like to move on something in the next week or so.
QuIet Noob
Silent Operator

Post by QuIet Noob »

Cabela's in Allen, TX still had the Remington R1 Enhanced in the gun library. Unfired. $819.00

I love mine.
kusai
Silent Operator

Post by kusai »

I love the TACOPS TB.
kapkanimd
Silent But Deadly

Post by kapkanimd »

QuIet Noob wrote:Cabela's in Allen, TX still had the Remington R1 Enhanced in the gun library. Unfired. $819.00

I love mine.
Got it, THANKS! Great price ($739 + ship), next cheapest I found was $890... Do you happen to know which thread pitch it has? Also it looks like it is screaming for a mag well, any suggestions..? Can't wait to get it. It will be my first 1911.
AAC SPR/M4, AAC TiRant .45, AAC Prodigy, AAC Cyclone
many, many more to come
QuIet Noob
Silent Operator

Post by QuIet Noob »

I do not know the actual thread pitch but it is the same as my lone wolf Glock barrell.

I hope you like it as much as I do. I am ok without the mag well.
kapkanimd
Silent But Deadly

Post by kapkanimd »

QuIet Noob wrote:I do not know the actual thread pitch but it is the same as my lone wolf Glock barrell.

I hope you like it as much as I do. I am ok without the mag well.
how long did it take for them to ship yours?
many, many more to come
QuIet Noob
Silent Operator

Post by QuIet Noob »

I picked mine up at the store. I am in there about every week and half or so.

I am broke since they opened in Allen.
kapkanimd
Silent But Deadly

Post by kapkanimd »

QuIet Noob wrote:I picked mine up at the store. I am in there about every week and half or so.

I am broke since they opened in Allen.
ahh I see... well thanks for the heads up. I already ordered the .578x28 short piston for it. Hopefully it works, does yours have a long guide rod? I think even if it does, the barrel looks long enough to clear the short piston. If not then I guess I will just have to switch it out.
many, many more to come