Easiest combat caliber pistols to suppress

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

DanielWilson
Silent Operator

Easiest combat caliber pistols to suppress

Post by DanielWilson »

As I start stamp collecting, I will probably want to suppress a pistol. I currently shoot 9mm's and 40's, but all of mine have a tipping-barrel design (e.g. Glock) and I believe would require a Nielsen device.

Should I just get the Nielsen device when I get the can? Or would I do better to get a fixed-barrel pistol like the Beretta 92/96? Are there any models that really shine for suppressor use? I'd consider 9mm, 40, 10mm, or 45ACP.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Easiest combat caliber pistols to suppress

Post by Bendersquint »

DanielWilson wrote:As I start stamp collecting, I will probably want to suppress a pistol. I currently shoot 9mm's and 40's, but all of mine have a tipping-barrel design (e.g. Glock) and I believe would require a Nielsen device.

Should I just get the Nielsen device when I get the can? Or would I do better to get a fixed-barrel pistol like the Beretta 92/96? Are there any models that really shine for suppressor use? I'd consider 9mm, 40, 10mm, or 45ACP.
What is a combat caliber pistol?

Get the LCD/Neilson/LID and be done with it, then you can shoot it on anything and everything!

1911's and Sigs are awesome suppressed. the Beretta 92F is sweet as well.
DanielWilson
Silent Operator

Post by DanielWilson »

By "combat caliber" I meant to say I was not looking for the absolute quietest pistol. No doubt a .22LR would be, but that's not what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the suggestion of the Nielsen. Threaded barrels are readily available for Glocks, so that sounds sensible. Sometimes I overthink these things.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

DanielWilson wrote:By "combat caliber" I meant to say I was not looking for the absolute quietest pistol. No doubt a .22LR would be, but that's not what I'm talking about.

Thanks for the suggestion of the Nielsen. Threaded barrels are readily available for Glocks, so that sounds sensible. Sometimes I overthink these things.
Quietest pistol versus combat caliber pistol......how did you confuse those?

Saying COMBAT CALIBER is no better than the garbage we are dealing with with AW's. Look at it how the media would interpret this. This forum is open for perusal without login, they do see our posts. We don't need a new ban to be introduced for combat caliber pistols whatever they are.

Glocks suppress well, in my opinion not as well as Sig's though. In .45 I have a hard time deciding which is quieter the 1911 style or the Sig P220.

Best to not overthink things, just delays you from buying what you need and heading to the range for some fun.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

"combat caliber" and already quiet as hell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

DanielWilson wrote:As I start stamp collecting, I will probably want to suppress a pistol. I currently shoot 9mm's and 40's, but all of mine have a tipping-barrel design (e.g. Glock) and I believe would require a Nielsen device.

Getting a new gun for a silencer instead of getting a silencer for a gun is the tail wagging the dog. If you shoot Glock 9's and 40's, then get a can that functions well on Glock 9's and 40's. Yes, that would most likely mean getting one that uses a booster (or a very very light silencer).

And seriously... "Combat Caliber"? Yeah, you're going to catch a little s--t for that fresh little neologism. :lol:
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

9mm is the quietest.
Bendersquint wrote:Saying COMBAT CALIBER is no better than the garbage we are dealing with with AW's.
The cartridge is 9×19mm Parabellum....

Parabellum is Latin for "war."

The 9mm is a combat pistol cartridge - and the best one at that.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

silencertalk wrote:9mm is the quietest.
Bendersquint wrote:Saying COMBAT CALIBER is no better than the garbage we are dealing with with AW's.
The cartridge is 9×19mm Parabellum....

The 9mm is a combat pistol cartridge - and the best one at that.
You are right Robert but I wouldn't call the 9mm cartridge a combat pistol cartridge unless you want to call the 1911 a war pistol.

No different than assault pistol, its a made up term that puts a bad taste in the scared publics mouth.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Pistols are primarily defensive weapons, so call 9mm, 40, and 45 Auto self-defense cartridges.

But when he said combat, I knew he did not mean 380. Had he said self-defense, then I would have thought 380 was in the running.

Had he said hunting, then I would be thinking 44 magnum, 454, 500 S&W, and even 357.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

silencertalk wrote:...
Technically "prepare for war" I think.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Google translate says prepare for war.
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

Bellum means war in Latin. Hence "antebellum" meaning before the war because of the prefix "ante". Use the prefix "para" meaning "for" or "along side" and you get parabellum. As usual, the abstract meanings aren't always exactly parallel. (see what I did there)

The popular Latin reference to: "Sic vis pacem, parabellum" is often translated into: "If you want peace, prepare for war". I personally think that this takes some liberties.

To me, it seems to be closer to: "A force of peace is (a force) of war." I'm not a language expert though.
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
vike
Silent Operator

Post by vike »

Many or most pistols were designed for military combat. My favorite Combat pistol and caliber is the Sig P220 Combat 45acp. With it I can use a Neilsen device or not. A slightly lighter recoil spring may be needed for a nonboostered can for 100% cycling(18lb). Like the Beretta 92, the Sig is a easier cycling pisol than say a Glock or HK which requires a Neilsen device. Of course the 9mm P226 Combat would likely be quieter than a P220 Combat as long as you use 147+ grain subsonic, but the 45acp is a more effective and accurate cartridge in my experience. If funds are an issue then you can't beat a Glock in a combat caliber with aftermarket threaded Wolf barrels that go for about $125.
If President Obama uses an executive order soon and bans magazines over 10 round capacity then seeking full size combat caliber becomes a narrowed field and the 45acp is the superior choice. Unless you dont mind a full size 9mm with 10round magazines.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

To answer the original question... 9mm is the easiest to suppress. However, 40 S&W and 45 ACP are also easy to suppress, and if you have a preference for one of those over the other two, you'll be just fine. If you have NO preference, go with the 9mm.

Which pistols suppress best in those calibers? I don't know that any particular one does significantly better than any other, but the easy list is GLOCK, Beretta, Taurus, Sig, HK, etc.

No revolvers.

No "blow-back", which rule out the vast majority of 380.

Best results with sub-sonic, so if you don't handload, you'll want the heaviest 9mm: 147 gr or 158 gr. 180 gr in 40, and 230 in 45. This also rules out 357 Sig and 10mm. Some people do suppress their 5.7, but it will be supersonic, and not as quiet.

Most all of the handguns that fire 9mm, 40, or 45, utilize a tilting lock-up, so you'll want to buy a silencer that has a Nielsen device - AKA "booster" - in it. After that, the only real limitation is ensuring that your chosen pistol has a threaded barrel to accept the silencer. Because of this, a lot of people (myself included) buy a GLOCK, and use an after-market, drop-in threaded barrel like one from Lone Wolf Distributors (usually referred to as "LWD" on this website).

The appropriate silencer for your choice is a different topic, and one best explored in a different thread. My setup is a GLOCK 17 (9mm) + LWD drop-in, threaded barrel + AAC Evo-9. This combination works with 147 grain 9mm without problem, and is about as plug-and-play as you are going to get in a 9mm handgun these days. No gunsmithing required, no 'fitting' parts, no 'fine-tuning', just drop in the barrel, screw on the silencer, and shoot 147 grain quietly.