Para Executive Agent

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

silencertalk
Site Admin

Para Executive Agent

Post by silencertalk »

I just ordered one of these:

Why?

It is a forged stainless slide with IonBond - that is the best way I can think of doing a slide.

It is IonBond over the barrel - also awesome.

Night sights.

EGW non-MIM internals (not that there is anything wrong with MIM).

Full size grip (8+1), which I like, but bob tail, easier for carry.

Aluminum frame - forged.

3 inch barrel.

G10 grips.

It is not cheap, but IonBond/EGW costs a lot.

It costs less than a Kimber SuperCarryUltra+, and seems nicer due to the IonBond, all black, composite grips, and no MIM (NTTIATWWT):

http://www.kimberamerica.com/1911/super ... ultra-plus

Hey, with the new 7 round magazine limits coming, I may have to carry a 45.
JohnnyC
Silent But Deadly

Re: Para Executive Agent

Post by JohnnyC »

3" 1911's aren't the most reliable guns on the market to begin with, then put that up with Para's track record for reliability, I can't say that it's a purchase I would ever make.
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

The only thing I would change would be the trigger (I like flat triggers on my 1911's)

I recently worked on a friends Kimber 3" gun. I've had to work on three so far (Two of my friends and one of mine). I would not pay the price premium for a Kimber high end model. On paper, they have all the features, but after dealing with three of them that all had similar problems, I would not pay that much money for a gun that needed work immediately (improperly fit firing pin stop, incorrect extractor tension, improper beveling on extractor hook, improperly fitted magazine catch, poor finish durability)

Like you, I don't mind MIM, that has not been the issue, however, it seems that Kimber just drops in bulk parts and away they go. My firing pin stop was so loose, it would move when the hammer hit it. This caused the extractor to clock.

I like the 4" barreled 1911's. I bought a Kimber Pro Carry. It's the same size as my Glock 19, aluminum frame, full sized grip. I think it is a great size 1911 and pretty light too. With the slide being IonBonded (IonBound? :) ), the Para sounds nice. Most other 1911's in that size, you have to deal with painted slides. I'd much rather have IonBond or Nitride/Melonite/etc.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

JohnnyC wrote:3" 1911's aren't the most reliable guns on the market to begin with, then put that up with Para's track record for reliability, I can't say that it's a purchase I would ever make.
They have all been through Remington testing now. Any previous track record is irrelevant. The very fact that it made it through the testing and is for sale is why I do expect it to be good. And the fit/finish is amazing.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Para has a low cost version of this with a nitride slide and still a forged aluminum lower.
Flex01

Post by Flex01 »

looks good to me.
So, about my sammich....
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Seems like a 4 inch barrel is the sweet spot:

Not saying this barrel should be 4 inches. Just saying there are good arguments to be made about 4 inch barrels in 45 Auto.
dtom29
Silent But Deadly

Post by dtom29 »

You've Quantified what I've always felt was the best barrel length in a 1911. I have always bought Officers sized frames with barrels as close to 4 inches as I could get. I think the 45 ACP needs the extra inch(inch and a quarter) over the 3 inch barrel both for the reliablity and the velocity.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I don't know enough about them to speak on the reliability issue. I have heard of 3 inch 1911s not being reliable, but I think that may have to do with designs that used a bushing. I will just shoot this and if it is reliable, it is reliable.

A 4 inch 230 grain is 78 fps faster than a 3 inch. So a 3 inch at the muzzle is equal to a 4 inch at 95 yards!

But a 4 inch at the muzzle is equal to a 5 inch at 30 yards.

As you can see, 4 inch is much better than 3 inch, but 5 inch is not much better than 4 inch.

So - 4 inch is where it is at.

A Glock 36/30 has a 3.78 inch barrel.

One thing to point out - 230 +P ammunition in a 3 inch matches the velocity of normal 230 in a 5 inch. So I may end up carrying 230 +P.
tylermtech
Silent But Deadly

Post by tylermtech »

Robert,
How has the Para treated you? Is is reliable? how is it to carry?

Thanks