Sig 1911 w/ Blazer Brass issues

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

oilfieldtrash76
Senior Silent Operator

Sig 1911 w/ Blazer Brass issues

Post by oilfieldtrash76 »

Ive shot about 100 rounds of Blazer Brass through my Sig 1911. Lots of rounds will fail to go into battery with some leaving a small dent just below the bullet. Have shot other brands with no issues to speak of. Im shooting a Larry Vickers pistol course this weekend and after shooting 100 round of Federal with no issues started shooitng Independence 45 acp, which after having a few malfunctions noticed the rounds are marked "Blazer" on the headstamp. The pistol was well lubricated but I stopped and added more jic, still had a few more. Ive cleaned her up real good and will shoot some American Eagle I have in the morning. Will post an update when done.

Has anyone else has issues with Blazer Brass 45 ammo?
"Peace, That wonderful moment when everyone is standing around reloading!" Unknown

FFL (07)
strobro32
Silent But Deadly

Re: Sig 1911 w/ Blazer Brass issues

Post by strobro32 »

Yes. Blazer brass is under powered. It's crap.
If it doesn't splatter, shatter, burst or explode, it's not worth shooting.
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

Different 1911 magazines have different feed lips, which change the angle and release point of the round. You may be able to buy a few different brands of mags to test with that may improve feeding.

The ones to try would be:
Wilson (I'd get the new ETM 500-HD with their new square spring, but if you can't find them, the ETM or 47 would work)
Checkmate hybrid feed lip
Chip McCormick power mags
Tripp

I have also noticed that my sig 1911 has a rather tight chamber. If the blazer is a little on the large side (loaded too long or not crimped enough) the chamber might not like it. I have a batch of 45acp that I loaded that works in everything except my sig P220 and sig 1911. I started seating the bullet just a little bit more and crimped it a little more and no more issues. Not really anything you can do with the factory rounds, except find a brand that works and use that instead.
oilfieldtrash76
Senior Silent Operator

Post by oilfieldtrash76 »

Day two I shot 300 rounds of Federal/ American Eagle with zero malfunctions. I remember having the same problem when I started out reloading for the .45. Seated and Crimped to Wilson Combat recommendations and had no problem after that. I try to stay with Wilson Combat mags, pistol performed flawlessly with them.
I did find that the Sig has some rather sharp edges on the bottom of the beavertail though. Tore up the web of my hand pretty good. Overall im happy with the performance of the Sig 1911 and it makes a mean looking host for my Ti Rant!
Will test the Blazer ammo in my other guns and post an update first chance I get.
"Peace, That wonderful moment when everyone is standing around reloading!" Unknown

FFL (07)