New best pistol is - PPQ 9mm.

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

silencertalk
Site Admin

New best pistol is - PPQ 9mm.

Post by silencertalk »

I have been struggling to find a better carry pistol than the HK P7 PSP. I love how it is safe when you put it down, but ready to fire when you draw it. I love that I can shoot it better than most other pistols due to the trigger and sights. The only centerfire pistol that I can shoot better than a P7 is the Sig P210. The P210 has some hammer bite and a long reach to the safety though - not to mention it is heavyish and only 8 shots.

I love my G19, but could never shoot it as well as the P7 and certainly not as well as the P210.

I just did something that I should have done years ago - took 10 pistols that I may want to carry, and shot them all unrested at 50 feet - 10 groups of 10 shots each, and then scanned the targets and calculated the average mean radius, and sorted that into Excel. I compared the PPQ 9mm M2, P210, Glock 19, P8 PSP, Glock 22, P30-V1 9mm, Shield 9mm, Glock 42, LCP, and Para Executive Carry 45. I don't like anything DA (what is now often called DA/SA) because from a user-interface perspective, you want the same shot on each pull. In my opinion, DA/SA pistols are obsolete (even though I am fond of the P228).

The primary candidates to replace my P7 for a main carry pistol are the G19, P30, and PPQ.

The results are not fully in, but so far, I am shooting the PPQ even better than the P210 and P7! Shocking! A decent capacity combat-style 9mm that seems to be no compromise. I never thought I would find the perfect pistol, but the PPQ M2 seems to be it.

So why is the PPQ better than the P30-V1? The P30 has the following problems:

1. The trigger pull is too long - not as bad as a Kahr, but not optimal.
2. The reset is too long.
3. The mag release inside the trigger guard feels odd when I pull the trigger and brush up against it. I don't like it protruding into the guard as it does with mine.

So even for the same price, the PPQ is better than the P30-V1 (and the V1 is the best P30). But the P30 is about $350 more.

My current opinion is that the G19 is best factoring in price, but the PPQ is the best carry pistol cost no object, and not overpriced at all.
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Re: New best pistol is - PPQ 9mm.

Post by chrismartin »

How is the PPQ size-wise to the G19? (Grip height, conceal-ability, etc)

I've always liked the PPQ when I pick them up at the gun stores. My friend has two P99's and a PPQ, I haven't had a chance to shoot the PPQ yet. He loves it.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I think of it as a G19 size pistol but is it 0.236 longer.

Both hold 15+1.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

This guy says it's all about the trigger and if you're looking to replace the P7 with something out of the box it looks like you're on the right track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlPjHf7lq3E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

I also wonder about the HK VP9 (striker fired version of the P30).
I think it's cheaper than the P30 and might fix the trigger issues of the P30.
However, it's still not as cheap as the PPQ.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

The VP9 is getting good reviews. Some say it has less flip than a PPQ. Others say it ha a higher bore axis.

It is larger than a PPQ, but not as large as a G17.

It costs more than a PPQ but I think of it as a PPX competitor for some reason.

I would like to try one, but I think it is unlikely it will be better than a PPQ.
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

If I didn't already own and carry a G19, I'd have already bought the PPQ.
It looks like the perfect 9mm compact sized hand gun for CCW and general use and at a great price point too.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Life was good when I had just an AR15, 10-22, and Glock 19. To think it took 25 years for a pistol to be made that could beat it is amazing. And even then, the PPQ is $100+ more.
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

silencertalk wrote:Life was good when I had just an AR15, 10-22, and Glock 19. To think it took 25 years for a pistol to be made that could beat it is amazing.
Very true. The 19 is hard to beat. With each new model that started trying to compete with the Glock 19, they always (for me) fell short. The M&P was either the size of the 17 or a lower capacity (competing more with the 26). Same with the XD really. All of the HK's were either too large and/or had smaller capacity for the size and were insanely priced. The polymer sigs never did anything for me (being DA only or DA/SA) until perhaps the new P320 striker fired model.
And even then, the PPQ is $100+ more.
Not a huge difference where I live as glocks are now ~$575 new (gun shop prices). I could order a PPQ, pay shipping and transfer fees and be right around there. Shops are also starting to carry the PPQ as well. Even at Bud's gun shop online, the price difference is really around $50. That's HUGE!

Damn... Really makes me want one again :)

Have you looked at the prices of the XD-M series lately? They are nuts! They are selling for $750-850!
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I love so may guns, but I am sure that I would never want to own an XD even for $200. I am also sure I don't like Kahr (I did own one for a bit). I would't buy a Kahr for $200. They just don't align with what I look for.

S&W M&P I am open to owning. In fact, I have a Shield 9mm and think it is very good. But I don't emotionally like it. I don't like the warning engraved on the side. I don't like the manual safety (though it is easy enough to ignore on the Shield). I am not enamored with it like I am the G19 or PPQ.

I have always been fond of the P225 and P228 even though I no longer like DA pistols (often called DA/SA now).