Educate me on this p226 question.

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Liver
Silent But Deadly

Educate me on this p226 question.

Post by Liver »

I have no experience hence the question.

I've been reading that the p226 in 40 is built stronger than the 9mm version. That most likely is a moot point.

Wouldn't that be the ideal gun for suppression? I mean get a conversion Bar Sto barrel in 9mm, it has extra meat on it because it's converting from 40 to 9. On top of that, it can shoot 9mm 357 sig and 40.

Aside from expense, any issues? I don't consider any of this hobby to be inexpensive.

Thoughts?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Educate me on this p226 question.

Post by Bendersquint »

Liver wrote:I have no experience hence the question.

I've been reading that the p226 in 40 is built stronger than the 9mm version. That most likely is a moot point.

Wouldn't that be the ideal gun for suppression? I mean get a conversion Bar Sto barrel in 9mm, it has extra meat on it because it's converting from 40 to 9. On top of that, it can shoot 9mm 357 sig and 40.

Aside from expense, any issues? I don't consider any of this hobby to be inexpensive.

Thoughts?
I have had both, still have the P226 9mm. I couldn't see the extra meat I was told about.

Whats wrong with the 9mm P226? Why would it be weaker and why wouldn't it be ideal?
Liver
Silent But Deadly

Post by Liver »

I guess you missed the "moot" issue. Only from what I've read, no real world experience, the Bar Sto conversion barrel is thicker. That's all.

The gun would be more ideal (if that even exists) only because it would have the ability to shoot three different rounds. If that is really an advantage is yet to be decided.

Any significant draw back?
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

Thicker doesn't always mean its better. Something tells me the 9mm barrel that Sig makes for the P226 is thick enough to not be a downfall. ;)

I don't see any significant drawbacks. I don't care for multi caliber pistols but thats just me. If I want a caliber I buy the gun for it.
Liver
Silent But Deadly

Post by Liver »

Part of my motivation is I can possibly get a 40 at a decent price. I'd like to shoot it suppressed and I'm not looking to get a 40 or 45 suppressor. In fact I'm most likely done with any additional suppressors.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

Liver wrote:

Yeah. When you put a .40 to 9mm conversion barrel in you run the risk of out of battery fire. The extractor can smack the primer and cause the weapon to be destroyed and possibly harm the user.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

poikilotrm wrote:
Liver wrote:

Yeah. When you put a .40 to 9mm conversion barrel in you run the risk of out of battery fire. The extractor can smack the primer and cause the weapon to be destroyed and possibly harm the user.
New one to me.
Liver
Silent But Deadly

Post by Liver »

poikilotrm wrote:
Liver wrote:

I'd consider that a significant disadvantage.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

Frankly, I would just get a 9mm 226 to go with my .40. If you want to get fancy, get a .357 SIG barrel for your .40, and you will get +P 9mm performance without any risk or loss of reliability.

I want to get a Glock 40 and get a .40 barrel for it.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Bendersquint wrote:
poikilotrm wrote:
Liver wrote:

New one to me.
Since I actually own this conversion and shoot it almost exclusively in the 9mm configuration to the tune of thousands of rounds I can say I have no idea what the f*k this is talking about.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Liver
Silent But Deadly

Post by Liver »

Since I actually own this conversion and shoot it almost exclusively in the 9mm configuration to the tune of thousands of rounds I can say I have no idea what the f*k this is talking about.
Bar Sto barrel or someone else? What recoil Spring are you using?
I'm planning on getting some 20 round mec gar. Like 2.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

BarSto.

I forget what spring, I bought a 9mm spring for the 9mm barrel. It's overdue for replacement I think.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Joker31D
Silent But Deadly

Post by Joker31D »

I carried a 9mm barrel in my 226 ON DUTY that was originally a 357 Sig issued when I was sent to DHS post 9/11. It worked well and was provided by Sig to our Armorers, I took it with me to Sig Classes and had it checked out numerous times by Sig. It was fine, never a trace of misfire or of any malfunction. When I worked Stateside I carried 357 Sig, when I went to afghanistan or "Other Places" I didnt have support for that Caliber so my entire team carried 9mm barrels. When we worked in 2 man teams one of us carried 357 the other carried 40 caliber so Ballistics would know who shot what. When OCONUS we all carried 9mm. Toward the end of my Career I carried an M11.
Visit my Wounded Hunter Project Blog!
https://woundedhunterproject.wordpress.com/

It has a beard and its climbing mountains ... it must be a billy goat! wait, it has a Rifle!