What do you carry? & pic thread

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Zephyr
Swift Silent Deadly

Post by Zephyr »

GlockandRoll wrote:No, but I would like to someday; I am afraid of reliability problems using a can on such a small auto.
Let us know when you do :)

Frank
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

- Ernest Hemingway, April 1936
bp_968
Silent But Deadly

Post by bp_968 »

ZephyrNewYork wrote:
bp_968 wrote:
ZephyrNewYork wrote:Trust me man, I know a thing or two about carrying in the heat. When I was in a certain sandy country overseas three years ago, a lot of the time (thankfully not all the time), I carried an M16, Beretta M9, associated gear, etc., while wearing a kevlar helmet and Interceptor vest (exterior body armor) AND a concealable Level IIIA vest inside. The day before I flew back to the States, it had gotten up to 118 degrees F. It wasn't even full on summer yet. I'd rather wear all that stuff and sweat than be cool and get shot. How hot does it get where you live in TX? ;) That wasn't the last time I carried in the heat either.

Frank
Why did you wear a IIIA vest under a IIIA vest (the interceptor is rated a IIIA if tested by the full NIJ standard)? I wonder if even 70+ layers of kevlar (2 IIIA vests) can stop a rifle round. Did you have rifle plates as well? If you go back I would contact these people, www.bulletproofme.com they sell side and shoulder plates. More comfortable then 2 vests and more protection.
That's what I wore. Believe it or not, I never got issued SAPI plates (Small Arms Protective Inserts) for my Interceptor. I had to BUY MY OWN ceramic plates at a gun show before we left California. SAPI plates don't provide full coverage; if you want to read more details, send me a PM.

At first, they told us that all the weapons and SAPI plates had been sent forward along with the rest of the stuf, and that we wouldn't get ours until we arrived in country. That's when I raised the BS flag and decided to buy a Glock and my own plates. But in Cali, you have to wait the silly ten day waiting period. I told them that I might be flying to a combat zone before the tenth day, which is what ended up happening. They didn't care-- I had to obey California law. I ended up getting issued an M16 and M9 anyway, just before we deployed. But sling, magazines, etc., were a different story. All this stuff had been sent forward for real. I tried to get some mags for the 9 and the 16, but all they had were the low cap mags since the Clinton Ban was still in effect. They still didn't care that I was about to leave for a combat zone. All the stalls at the gun show and all the gun shops near our base said they could only sell high caps to LE. I ended up buying some decent slings and kept one for myself, gave the others to some of my buddies. Once we arrived in country, we went around the camp scrounging for mags and other stuff. Just in time for The Push...

Have you noticed the difference between Level II and Level IIIA? The THICKNESS. There are more layers or Kevlar, Spectra, etc. in the higher levels, thus providing more protection. Also, early this year, or late last year, reports came out stating that the Corps had fielded a bunch of Interceptors that hadn't passed muster. Did you hear about that? It's better to wear something and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Needless to say, I made it back safely. Last summer, when I was stationed in Virginia, I took leave for several days. When I returned to VA, I discovered that my house had been broken into. Criminals stole a lot of my stuff, to include electronics. Among my belongings that were stolen were the plates that protected me during the war, and my bayonet. The other stuff didn't bother me much, but I was really pissed about the loss of those two items.

Frank
Thats some serious BS about the problems getting the gear you want. Honestly you should be able to buy and take with you anything you want (all civilians should be able to own any weapons they want.).

They level II I have is much thinner then the IIIA interceptor, but both are not bad at all. I'm sure if I add plates it will be much bulkier and heavier. Its all just for fun anyway, I *hopefully* won't have to worry about armed conflict anytime soon. I guess you never know when the SHTF though so its never hurts to have :twisted:

Sorry to hear about the theft :(
Zephyr
Swift Silent Deadly

Post by Zephyr »

It's all good. They'll get theirs...

Frank
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter."

hoss
Silent But Deadly

Post by hoss »

rsilvers wrote:
I carry a P7PSP in it now because I feel it is the safest gun ever made. If I leave it in a bathroom by mistake and someone finds it, they are very unlikely to shoot themselves -- or if a BG takes it from me.

Did you get Comptact to make a holster for the PSP? I live an hour from them and the best they ever offered was for me to bring my PSP by the shop and they would try to remold something for it.

I am NOT knocking Comptac. I too carry a P7M8 in the CTAC. But, I carry my PSP in a Sparks VMII. The VMII is more comfortable but isn't tuckable.
Hoss
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I bought one for the P7M8 and then took a heat-gun to it and a silicon oven mitt and then just pushed the plastic into the trigger guard. It worked out perfectly.

I would take them up on the re-mold offer. They will do what I did, but if they mess it up they will deal with it.

I do not tuck with this holster. I like the holster for comfort, etc.

Here is the VMII:

Here is the Ghurka:

Zephyr
Swift Silent Deadly

sniper vs. 3 vests

Post by Zephyr »

bp_968 wrote:Why did you wear a IIIA vest under a IIIA vest (the interceptor is rated a IIIA if tested by the full NIJ standard)? I wonder if even 70+ layers of kevlar (2 IIIA vests) can stop a rifle round. Did you have rifle plates as well? If you go back I would contact these people, www.bulletproofme.com they sell side and shoulder plates. More comfortable then 2 vests and more protection.
bp,

Check this out. Have you seen this?

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot24.htm

Frank

bp_968
Silent But Deadly

Re: sniper vs. 3 vests

Post by bp_968 »

Zephyr wrote:
bp_968 wrote:Why did you wear a IIIA vest under a IIIA vest (the interceptor is rated a IIIA if tested by the full NIJ standard)? I wonder if even 70+ layers of kevlar (2 IIIA vests) can stop a rifle round. Did you have rifle plates as well? If you go back I would contact these people, www.bulletproofme.com they sell side and shoulder plates. More comfortable then 2 vests and more protection.
bp,

Check this out. Have you seen this?

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot24.htm

Frank
I emailed him to see if he can test some sapi plates someday. :)
Zephyr
Swift Silent Deadly

Post by Zephyr »

Nice. Let us know what he responds with.

Frank

Zephyr
Swift Silent Deadly

Post by Zephyr »

I got an email back from OP. He needs plates to test...

Frank

bp_968
Silent But Deadly

Post by bp_968 »

Zephyr wrote:I got an email back from OP. He needs plates to test...

Frank
Yup. Same response I got. If I had some extra cash to test plates I'd do the shooting ;)
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

bp_968 wrote: What I need to do is find a small light weight reliable pistol that I can pocket carry when I can't carry the glock. Due to medical problems (UC) I sometimes don't carry the glock because tightening the belt enough to keep the gun off the ground becomes very uncomfortable. A nice, light, pocket gun would be better then nothing in those cases.

Any suggestions?

bp
Stiff belt with suspenders -belt for holster to attach and suspenders to keep belt from falling down as it wouldn't be that loose. :wink:
Go see a leather shop and he can set you up with a nice matched set with buttons inside the belt for the suspender to attach too.

Pocket pistol - how small do you have to go - smallest I have is AMT 380 backup (single actiion w/ safety) or for .22LR berretta 21 - DA/SA w/safety. Some are suggesting Keltec 32 but I go Seecamp for 32.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
Zephyr
Swift Silent Deadly

Post by Zephyr »

Screw that, man. I'd much rather shoot someone else's plates for free ;)

Frank

soohwa
Silent But Deadly

Post by soohwa »

My current carry piece, need to get a Kahr or a G26 for summer carry. Holster is a Milt Sparks VersaMax II, I have no idea why I don't have a pic of it.

Zephyr
Swift Silent Deadly

Post by Zephyr »

soohwa wrote:My current carry piece, need to get a Kahr or a G26 for summer carry. Holster is a Milt Sparks VersaMax II, I have no idea why I don't have a pic of it.
Nice pic. Coincidentally, the G30 is half my carry package. And exact same ammo too! :)

Frank

Barry in IN
Silent Operator

Post by Barry in IN »

I usually carry a full-size 1911 in a Sparks Summer Special, and a Kahr PM9 Covert in a pocket holster.
If I don't have a 1911, then it's a HiPower. Same kind of holster.

If I don't feel I can conceal the 1911 under what I'm wearing, I go to my HK P7M8 in a BladeTech IWB.

I'm glad to see a few people on here who also carry P7s. Makes me feel at home. That's the easiest to shoot gun I've ever had. I also like being able to pop the striker/firing pin/spring out easily if I have to leave the gun unattended with little notice (running into the courthouse to take something to my attorney once is a good example).
Shhhhhh
MadDogDan
Senior Silent Operator

Post by MadDogDan »

My daily carry is a Springfield Lightweight Champion 45ACP in a Tucker OWB holster with one spare mag.

MadDog :lol:

WWJWD (What Would John Wayne Do?)
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

Springfield s.s. compact in a Milt Sparks summer special which will also hold a S&W 3913 if Im in the mood.
Also a S&W .38 spec. hammerless airweight in a pocket holster.
Maybe the 3913 tucked in a back brace like a belly band with a western shirt with a snap front for quick access or a sweat shirt untucked.
If lazy a NAA mini derringer in a pocket holster, but I always carry something, always a 1911a1 in the truck. :D
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

I carry a HK USPc in 9mm

I use 40cal mags, USPc mags, to get a 15+1 capacity instead of the usual 13+1

I use Blackhawk's IWB leather holster.

Had Bruce Gray perform a Match trigger job on it, since the Match trigger is only on HK fullsize, it was custom.

Then Put MMC adjustable night sites on it for low light encounters.

Loaded it up with 85 grain Corbon hollowpoints.

3 spare mags when it's cold out, none when it's hot.

:wink:
NFAtalk.org
MadDogDan
Senior Silent Operator

Post by MadDogDan »

Changed my carry gun from a Springfield Champion 4" 1911 to my Springfield XD-357 sig 4" Service model. Added the TFO sights which are just as bright at night as they are in the day. Like having 25 rounds of 357 sig with the spare mag.

MadDog :lol:

WWJWD (What Would John Wayne Do?)
dumapus
Silent But Deadly

Post by dumapus »

HK P2000sk in 40 w/ Bullman (looks just like a VMAXII).
Got the LEM trigger - love it.

MadDogDan - Champion is a nice looking piece.
bp_968
Silent But Deadly

Post by bp_968 »

I finally got my new carry gun:

-----------------------------

This space for rent.
Wiley
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wiley »

You must have huge pants! :wink:

Wiley
Always cheat, always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.
mpallett
Elite Industry Professional

Post by mpallett »

bp_968 wrote:I finally got my new carry gun:

I bet that weighs more that you do.

I can say it, because I bet I am about twice as heavy.
1911pilot
Elite Member

Post by 1911pilot »

I'll bet the bad guys cross the street at a sprint when they see you coming.
bp_968
Silent But Deadly

Post by bp_968 »

Palletts right. If I tried to shoot it hand held the barrels would be stationary and I would spin around the gun at high speed.
-----------------------------

This space for rent.