Holster for Suppressed pistol

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

pmc
Silent Operator

Holster for Suppressed pistol

Post by pmc »

I am looking for a holster for my Glock 30 with suppressor attached. Not a concealed carry holster but one so I can safely holster my weapon while shooting without removing the can. Any uggestions?

Pmc
aroundlsu
Silent But Deadly

Post by aroundlsu »

I've been thinking about this as well. It would be nice to be able to holster my pistol with the can attached while on my property. I was thinking about a long revolver holster might work? Nylon might not be a good idea since they get very hot. Heavy canvas would probably be good.

Something like this but probably not this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Uncle-Mikes-Sidekic ... dZViewItem
Brutaldiver
Silent But Deadly

Post by Brutaldiver »

I cannot remember the name of the mfgr but awhile back I bought a race gun/competition style holster. The holster is made almost entirely out of plastics/polymers with one additional part(s)... Those being what really holds the gun in place. The holster has a trigger retention device that you lift up to engage it around the trigger. It is kind of T shaped... So you can loop your index & middle finger around it to engage.
Anyway....
The part of the holster that would normally cover the slide really is open and flat... That is, the only part near your slide is the length of the holster near your body.... There are 2-4 rare earth magnets set into this area, just low enough that they will not scratch the surface of your slide. There is is a set of adapter plates that you can build up to use with just about any type or size of pistol... These plates run under the dust cover of the gun. So you can holster the pistol by laying it against the dustcover resting area, the magnets snatch the slide and you pull up on the T to engage the trigger retention device... It isn't meant for concealed carry... It holds the pistol in place just fine for range use actually... since there is no cover over the slide/bbl the part that would normally cover the muzzel is removeable. Allowing you to use it with a suppressor i believe...
Damn, I'll have to root through my old gun equipment cases to see if I can find it and maybe post a picture or 2 of this thing. Now you all have given me an idea of how to holster my 1911's when suppressor mounted... Thanks....
If I can think of the mfgr i'll post it as well.. I don't know if they are still being made as this holster is probalby 5+ years old... The only other one I know of was boughtby a previous coworker of mine... He may still have it. I know he wanted it for daily carry and wasn't happy with it for that job... Like I said. really only good for range use... Or race gun mathces I suppose... but then I don't do race matches so I wouldn't know if it was legal or not.
If I find the holster I'll probably need someone to post the pics for me.
OK, I remembered who made it etc, here is a link to the holster mfgr and then to a site that sells it along with access to better pics....
Kind of expensive but the good news is at least you can use the holster for just about every gun in your safe....
http://www.hogueinc.com/getgrip/merchan ... d=5&step=4

Towards the bottom....
http://www.topglock.com/catalog/holsters.htm
Last edited by Brutaldiver on Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
BryantK
CinCity1911Grips
Small Shop 1911 GM/OM Exotic Wood Grip Maker.
email : brutaldiver @ hotmail . com
(all one word-no spaces of course...)
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

viewtopic.php?t=9908&highlight=holster

I still need to post pictures. :oops:
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe
aroundlsu
Silent But Deadly

Post by aroundlsu »

I remember seeing a guy at the range with a race gun and holster like what you mentioned. I will do some research today while at work. Might as well get something done today. That's mostly what I need. Just something to hold the gun in place while at the range or fiddling around at home.

Edit: I think I found it:

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.e ... mid=275525
Brutaldiver
Silent But Deadly

Post by Brutaldiver »

Yup, I found mine as well as remembering who made it etc....
After looking it over again I kind of like it...
My 1911 fits in there very well. I'd post pics but I'm not in any of the pic hosting websites anymore...
The only thing I would do is add another magnet into the open magnet/screw hole area. It has 3 magnets in it now.
They give you additional mounting holes for either a screw to hold the muzzle hood in place or I guess for additional magnets.... The ones that came in it are good enough but if I am going to take off the muzzle hood for a can to clear it I might as well add a little more retention ability.... I forgot how infinitely adjustable these things are.... The body of the holster is made up of these plastic/polymer plates... You add or subtract them to account for the thickness of your particular pistol.... I think I have the 2 for around the trigger guard and 3 in between... They give you a drop holster belt attachment as well as a high ride belt slot attachment...
I don't have my cans to show pics with it but I do believe it'd not only work out just like you wanted but look pretty damned good as well.
Somebody ought to write the maker and tell them to add yet another reason for the design into the product description...!
BryantK
CinCity1911Grips
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3101 »

Yeah, I wish Steve from Battlecloth would get busy on some holster/can designs...
Mr. Burns: This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you.
Smithers: You are noble and poetic in defeat, sir.
Conqueror
Elite Member

Post by Conqueror »

CR Speed, Limcat, and Safariland all make similar competition holsters.
Griz
Silent But Deadly

Post by Griz »

Conqueror wrote:CR Speed, Limcat, and Safariland all make similar competition holsters.
All of those (plus the Ghost holster) are better than the Hogue one.. I've seen 2 guys dump their $5000 AP Open guns on the ground and get DQed with the Hogue magnet holster... Never heard of anyone dumping one out of any of the others (and the Hogues are rare in the AP circuit). One guy swore he had locked it in, but he said the locking mechanism feels mushy sometimes so it's not reliable... He uses a Safariland now. :)
suppress-it
Silent But Deadly

Post by suppress-it »

If I recall correctly, I purchased a holster for my AAC intergrally-suppressed Ruger Mark II (Phoenix) from AAC but I don't recall who manufactured it. When I get to the house I will check...maybe they can make something for you. It would seem that as popular as suppressors are these days, someone would make an open-bottom holster for them. I dunno...maybe a flap-arrangement on the bottom of the holster so that you can open it when the can is mounted to the pistol and keep it closed when you are carrying the pistol without the can?
If it's too LOUD, you're too OLD, and you probably need another SUPPRESSOR
Brutaldiver
Silent But Deadly

Post by Brutaldiver »

suppress-it wrote:It would seem that as popular as suppressors are these days, someone would make an open-bottom holster for them. I dunno...maybe a flap-arrangement on the bottom of the holster so that you can open it when the can is mounted to the pistol and keep it closed when you are carrying the pistol without the can?
Justy about every holster I have used or seen has had an open bottom.... The only thing you may require is that the bottom of the holster doesn't have the edges pushed inwards towards the center & or is actually larger than the muzzle of the host weapon (aren't most cans larger in diam than the muzzle of the host?)...
Also, I don't think it is a matter of an open bottom holster for a suppressor as much as a way to pull it from a holster without having to pull the pistol up like you are scratching your armpit just to get it out....

As far as guys dumping their $5,000 holster out of the Hogue Speed version all I can say is that that sucks... Well, that and.....
I've seen guys miss the mouth of their holster (while reinserting it) completely as well... I wouldn't tell them that is necessarily the holster's fault (unless it is an IWB)...
And as to it feeling mushy? That is one word that never came to mind in describing how it feels when pushing or pulling the T Lock handle/device.. My sample snaps/clicks up and down....
When I first got my Hogue Speed Holster I carried a 1911 in mine for several months for plainclothes situations, court appearance, etc...
During all the qualification shoots, requal shoots and training shoots I never managed to drop it out of the holster. That was while using it with a covering garment in the way, running from stage to stage, standing & kneeling... Granted I'm not trying to draw and fire like some do in competition but I am (or was anyway) under a time limit. I was doing it in a manner that was like I was in a life or death situation... and it worked...
Yeah, it sucks that it happened & I don't doubt for a moment that it has. I'm sure it was embarassing as hell... But this person saying they "know they pushed/pulled on the trigger lock" & it fell out is kind of like the guy that swears he checked his gun to make sure it was unloaded before he pulled the trigger and it went boom.... or bang... whatever....
If he put the pistol in that holster and pulled up on the Trigger lock handle then it would not have fallen out..... He either didn't put the holster in where it was supposed to go or he didn't pull up on the trigger lock device... Or he had some piece of his equipment that managed to push the TLock device back down into the unlocked mode... Maybe he has a belly and it "Dun Lopped" over the handle??? :wink:
Besides, the OP wanted the holster for carrying his suppressed pistol around at a range, etc.... Not for using it in speed/competition events.... Is it really that hard to shoot your mag of suppressed ammo, drop the gun to below eye level, admire your grouping (or whatever) and then casually place the suppressed pistol in the holster and pull the TLock device up... Maybe even then wrapping your hand around the frame of the pistol in the holster to make sure it was in there securely? I know every time I ever put a pistol back into a holster I manage to pat the weapon just to make sure all is well....
It's more than likely that if you're in an actual life/death engagement and your wrestling with somebody you might very well not have the time or opportunity to pat the holster, etc like I do/did but then again I think in that situation you have other things to worry about...
I guess I just think that in trying to holster a suppressed pistol the most convenient method would be having the side and or front of the holster exposed makes the most sense for ease of inserting it and withdrawing it...
The Hogue certainly isn't the only way to go but then it must be doing something for quite a few people for the company to keep it on their lineup for this long...

I'll have to locate this Ghost Holster as I don't know anythign about it... I asked Steve @ BCloth about why he hadn't done one and he mentioned things that just enver occurred to me... Think about how large the Diameter of a (say) .45 can is compared to the muzzle of it... To get it into the suppressor covering part you have to pass through the part that contains the frame and slide of the gun... Being as large as it would need to be makes it a rather sloppy loose fit... After talking with him I undrstand it is a little tougher than one might think...
I know was trying to think of making some kind of ClamShell type version from kydex in my shop. Finally putting that kydex press to work... Something you could just push the pistol through while inserting it but when drawing just pulling out the front... The suppressor would be exposed while in it... hmmm, I dunno....
Till he comes up with something I'll just stick to using this Hogue version...
BryantK
CinCity1911Grips
aroundlsu
Silent But Deadly

Post by aroundlsu »

The Hogue might actually be the only way to go for an HK USP.

I checked out all the speed holsters mentioned above but none of them are made for the HK USP. The Limcat looks awfully cool but it's more than $350.

I'm going to try out the Hogue. Midway has a return policy if it doesn't work. I will post pics in the artistic section when the Form 4 comes in if I can get my g/f to model with it. Unless you guys want to see it strapped to me? Didn't think so. :)

Again, this is just for range work and occasionally getting my girlfriend to dress up like Tombraider when I'm feeling lucky.
Brutaldiver
Silent But Deadly

Post by Brutaldiver »

aroundlsu wrote:I checked out all the speed holsters mentioned above but none of them are made for the HK USP. The Limcat looks awfully cool but it's more than $350.

I'm going to try out the Hogue. Midway has a return policy if it doesn't work. I will post pics in the artistic section when the Form 4 comes in if I can get my g/f to model with it. Unless you guys want to see it strapped to me? Didn't think so. :)

and occasionally getting my girlfriend to dress up like Tombraider when I'm feeling lucky.
That I'd like to see.... The Tombraider pics.... That is....
Heck if you can get your FFL CII guys to let you "try out" the can, on your pistol, @ their place of business, with the holster and (most important here) get a few pics of your GF in her TR outfit I may even agree to send you my Hogue Speed Holster for a little while!!!!
I think you'll be fine with it. Looking it over agian last night and not only did mine come with 3 magnets but there at least 2 other holes avail for magnets as well as 2-3 more locations where you could epoxy in some more thin magnets if you really wanted to lock it down.... The extra holes are there for the little muzzle hood attachment. Which you probably won't use with the can in place...
Again, I need to check out this $350 Limcat....
BryantK
CinCity1911Grips
USMC0351
Silent But Deadly

Post by USMC0351 »

suppress-it wrote:If I recall correctly, I purchased a holster for my AAC intergrally-suppressed Ruger Mark II (Phoenix) from AAC but I don't recall who manufactured it.
London Bridge Trading, but they did not have them listed on their website the last time I checked.
-R
pmc
Silent Operator

Post by pmc »

Keep the comments coming guys. I e-mailed Battlecloth but they only do stuff for 22's currently.

Pmc
aroundlsu
Silent But Deadly

Post by aroundlsu »

The Limcat:

http://www.speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?ID=LM4L

Looks badass to me. It says they make custom models. I sent an email asking if they can make one for the USP. If I think about it long enough I'll end up dropping the cash.

The kind of Tombraider pics I want to do I don't think they'll let me shoot in the store.... :)
Brutaldiver
Silent But Deadly

Post by Brutaldiver »

aroundlsu wrote:The Limcat:

http://www.speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?ID=LM4L

Looks badass to me. It says they make custom models. I sent an email asking if they can make one for the USP. If I think about it long enough I'll end up dropping the cash.

The kind of Tombraider pics I want to do I don't think they'll let me shoot in the store.... :)
Every store has a closet.... Just let them pat you down for any ammo and tell them you'll be right back.... :wink:

As far as that holster, yeah, I found that same site after a quick search. Looks nice... Pretty bare bones/skeletonized.... Although the one I found on their site wasn't $350??? I swear it said Limcat under the pic though...

They had a few nice looking race/comp looking holster rigs...

If you wanted to get realllly bare bones you could go for the old (can't remember the actual name) rig where you put a frog/stud on the pistol, body side and and a clip on your belt or body wherever it is you wanted the pistol to be drawn from.... :wink:
Much like the way our old radios hung from our duty belts... Make the clip into something like a thumb rest and get it to perform more than one function for you... I dunno...

And yeah, pmc.... that's what I did.... I ran what seemed like several ideas by him all of which sounded good to me but he managed to explain how bad each one was... Or at least how they really wouldn't work.
I guess if it was that simple somebody would have already done it... I still want to get an afternoon or 2 down in the shop to try the clamshell type idea with some kydex... Now if I could just get my wife to get on board.... :roll:
BryantK
CinCity1911Grips
suppress-it
Silent But Deadly

Post by suppress-it »

Brutaldiver wrote:Also, I don't think it is a matter of an open bottom holster for a suppressor as much as a way to pull it from a holster without having to pull the pistol up like you are scratching your armpit just to get it out....
Maybe some type of thigh-mounted (drop) holster would be appropriate for that use?
USMC0351 wrote:
suppress-it wrote:If I recall correctly, I purchased a holster for my AAC intergrally-suppressed Ruger Mark II (Phoenix) from AAC but I don't recall who manufactured it.
London Bridge Trading, but they did not have them listed on their website the last time I checked.
-R
That is correct - it did come from London Bridge Trading. FYI - the phone number for London Bridge Trading is 757/498-0207. I called them a few minutes ago with no answer...since they are in Virginia, I believe they have closed for the day.
If it's too LOUD, you're too OLD, and you probably need another SUPPRESSOR
Brutaldiver
Silent But Deadly

Post by Brutaldiver »

suppress-it wrote:Maybe some type of thigh-mounted (drop) holster would be appropriate for that use?
I've thought about that. The only thing I can foresee - problemwise - with that would be dependent upon how far down the thigh one wears their holster as well as how long the OAL of the suppressor and host is...
As long as it doesn't extend past your knee....
I still think, for me, drawing such a relatively long item from a holster would be a relatively slow and delicate maneuver... Again, slow being a relative term. But since the OP was about finding suitable for simple range carry, why not...
BryantK
CinCity1911Grips
hairy78
Silent But Deadly

Post by hairy78 »

Check with www.shootersconnection.com they have several holsters that will fit firearms with cans. I currently use a Limcat for competition but I know he has open bottomed holsters for Berettas, Glocks, and such. He should be able to set you up with a belt mount holster for damn near anything. If you have any questions PM me and I will point you in the right direction.
pmc
Silent Operator

Post by pmc »

I decided to tinker with a few ideas. Ordered some kydex sheath kits from knifekits.com . When they get here I'll work up a few ideas to see if I can make a holster that works for what I want. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Pmc
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

Finally Pics!!

This is what I've been using with great success.

This is the Blackhawk serpa G17 holster that works really well with the P22 and a 1" can. It can be mounted anywhere with all the blackhawk adapters.

This is the Blackhawk universal chest harness. Works great with all types of gun and lays nice under my arm when riding 4wheeler, snowmobile, and hiking.

This is the Blackhawk drop leg platform with Molle holster w/light, pop flare pouch for can or 33rd mags, smaller mag pouch, and SOG daggert. Evo-40 is in the pouch.

Same set up with evo mounted and M6X laser/light combo attached. Must be worn high on leg or top at your waist to keep from letting muzzle of can get past your knee when crouching.

This is the same molle holster mounted on a web belt, and can be mounted anywhere with molle loops. There is also a velcro flap that is tucked in for now, but can be pulled out for greater coverage and security.

All of these examples I use regularly and have never had a problem.

Hope this helps.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe
pmc
Silent Operator

Post by pmc »

Thanks for the pics. Those ideas will help indeed.

Pmc
Brutaldiver
Silent But Deadly

Post by Brutaldiver »

Here is a Kimber Custom Tactical II in the Hogue Power Speed setup.. With Gemtech Blackside in place... Just in case you run across one or are interested in something like it.. The great thing about these (again) is that you can rebuild the holster in a minimum amount of time & effort into a holster for a Glock 17 or Glock 21 (different Glock frame sizes as an example) or for a Sig Sauer, or for a Beretta or for.....
Oh, and don't mind the inclusion of my foot in the 2nd pic... :roll:

By brutaldiver
By brutaldiver
BryantK
CinCity1911Grips
jag609

Re: Holster for Suppressed pistol

Post by jag609 »

Anyone have personal experience with the Super Ghost Ultimate? I can't find any solid reviews, videos of it in use and can't find a place to BUY that will accommodate glock 21

http://www.ghostinternational.com/index ... 25&lang=en