Style over economics for SD/CCW weapon

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

any solution to the slide bite other than getting a Sig P229?
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Hold it lower?
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

My grip is like your first picture. I tried to hold it high like your second, but really couldn't. If you can't adjust your grip, you would not have that problem with the P229 due to the MUCH higher bore axis, but that also leads to more felt recoil (muzzle flip)
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3101 »

your hand will figure it out....after a few stitches anyway.....
Glock is an excellent choice, but I musta missed it...you end up with a 19 or 23....????
Mr. Burns: This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you.
Smithers: You are noble and poetic in defeat, sir.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I am still debating which of my Glocks I should make un-new and consider for carry.

I know I decided my G36 was too small. I know I don't like the G26 or G27, even though most people love them.

I already have a G20, G19, G22, G34, G35, and G32 in service. My G19 is from 1988 and while it probably has under 1000 rounds on it, it started acting up and I need it gone-over.

So I can either play with the G22 and G32 more or open a new G23 or G17. I am pretty accurate with the G34 but I do notice the side when I sit in the car. I would prefer the G23 to the 32, but I already have the G32 in use.
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

rsilvers wrote: So I can either play with the G22 and G32 more or open a new G23 or G17. I am pretty accurate with the G34 but I do notice the side when I sit in the car. I would prefer the G23 to the 32, but I already have the G32 in use.
The G22 == G17 for size and carry
The G32 == G23 for size and carry

So, in the end you know what each should "feel" like from a carry perspective by carrying the ones that you have in service. Really, the only decision to make is on the cartridge you want to carry and shoot. Now, the only way to get a feel for that is to crack one open and go shoot it, unless you want to buy a factory barrel for the G32 to convert it to .40, that would be an option if you really didn't want to open up the G23. There isn't really a substitute for the G17, though I doubt it shoots much different than the G19/34.

I carried my G17 last weekend while working on the house (painting, fixing drywall, etc.) It carried well, even for the 2.5hour drive to my other house (CompTAC CTAC holster) I had no problems with the barrel length, though I did wish it had a shorter grip. It didn't seam to print badly or anything, unless I bent over at the waist. Even then, most guns will print a little. You know what the grip length for the G17 is (from carrying the G34) and I found the G17 barrel length to be just fine.

I'll end up with the G19 in the end, but I have other things to buy first. Until then, I'll carry the G17 (or my HK)

I have an aversion to .40s&w (I've said that many times) if I already had the .357sig in place, I would not switch that for .40. I can shoot .357sig better than .40, but neither as good as 9mm or .45 (That's what I have the most trigger time on.)
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Today I am just shooting 9mm and will see if I can hit better than .40.

But yes, I can carry the G22 and see if the grip length is a problem. Of course sometimes it is.
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

3101 wrote:your hand will figure it out....after a few stitches anyway.....
Glock is an excellent choice, but I musta missed it...you end up with a 19 or 23....????
:lol:

23,it is a perfect package,not too small or too big.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I shot my P210 today and I got hammer-bit.
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

Ive got 2 options.

1.Keep it and use it for it's intended purpose as a SD weapon,I doubt I will care about any slide bite after a SHTF situation and with the monies I save get a can.

2.Get the P229 and be able too shoot it more comfortably.
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3101 »

you can't go wrong with the 23, good choice......
Mr. Burns: This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you.
Smithers: You are noble and poetic in defeat, sir.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Keep it and use it. You will adapt to it. If you don't then you can consider other options.
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

rsilvers wrote:Keep it and use it. You will adapt to it. If you don't then you can consider other options.
Will do,I sit on this for awhile and if this doesnt pan out Ill be getting the P229,I can also order another holster for my M-Tac when I need one.I was thinking about getting one for my 226.

Chris,I know what you mean by Sig's muzzle flip,my P226 had more muzzle flip than the G23 but the Sig was alot easier to control and handle.
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

P229 is heavier and has a long first trigger pull. It is not all roses. I own both.
cyclone72
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by cyclone72 »

rsilvers wrote:P229 is heavier and has a long first trigger pull. It is not all roses. I own both.
good to know,I think the G23 is a good one for me.
rsilvers wrote:Hold it lower?
I have just now tried this and it may work.Ill need to feild test it though.I usually let the gun fall into my hand at it's most comfortable position plus the closer your grip is to the axis of the bore the better control you may have.So I moved it down 1/4 of an inch I shouldnt lose much of anything cept the sldie bite. :D .Lot cheaper solution thangetting the 229 thats fer sure.Now to figure out which can to get,lol.
thunderhole
Silent But Deadly

Post by thunderhole »

G19. (notice the period)
"A long time ago being crazy meant something. Now everybody's crazy."-Charles Manson
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

thunderhole wrote:G19. (notice the period)
My wife just bought me a G19 for my birthday. I am very impressed. It carries well and shoots very well. I put it through its paces a few nights ago and ran through a bunch of random ammo without a hickup. It shot the center out of the target without any problems and feels great when shot.

It is my new carry weapon.
thunderhole
Silent But Deadly

Post by thunderhole »

I love mine. It's the best handgun I've ever owned.
"A long time ago being crazy meant something. Now everybody's crazy."-Charles Manson
digitspaw
Silent Operator

Post by digitspaw »

rsilvers wrote:Don't get 22 mags. They will be a sloppy fit.

If you want more rounds, buy a Glock brand (not aftermarket) +2 baseplate and only use it with extra-power magazine springs. But I would not even do that. It just makes the grip print more on your shirt and may decrease reliability. A G23 holds 15+1 which is a lot of rounds as it is.
A standard G23 mag holds 13 rounds of .40 S&W.

A standard G19 mag holds 15 rounds of 9mm.

I agree with Mr. Silvers. Go with the standard magazine because of of the concealment factor. I would bet a years salary that in your lifetime, you will never need that much ammo in a self defense scenario.

Paw

I have a perfect body. It's in the trunk and starting to stink.

NEVADA CCW INSTRUCTOR
digitspaw
Silent Operator

Re: Style over economics for SD/CCW weapon

Post by digitspaw »

cyclone72 wrote:My conundrum is choosing between platform and then caliber,such as:

I have 1000 bucks to spend on a SD weapon.If I get a 23 or 30 Ill have money left over for ammo and a holster,If I get either the 220 carry or the 229 than Ill be flat broke.So my choices are as follows;

G23+1000 rounds of .40,.40 SD rounds and a CCW holster preferrably a IWB.A G30 with the same.Or I get the Sig Elite 220 carry or 229 in 40 and thats it.

The SIgs are alot more stylish than the Glocks but Ill definitley have more moneys to play and train with,what would you do.

I would love to own the Sig but I'd rather carry the Glock for a SD weapon.
The Glock is lighter, has only 35 parts, easier to breakdown and clean, and needs zero break in time.
On the other hand, a stainless steel Sig is a work of art as far as fit and finish goes.

I look at a self defense gun as something that I'm not afraid to drop on concrete or bump into furniture and walls. The SD gun is merely a tool on my belt and I have no emotional attachment to it. It's a throw away tool if necessary. I wouldn't feel that way about carrying a Sig. YMMV.

My daily carry is a Kahr K40. It's as thin as a 1911 with no external safeties to remember. Just point and squeeze. That's it.
I carry it in a Milt Sparks Watch Six IWB holster and it melts into my chubby little body. :mrgreen:

Paw

I have a perfect body. It's in the trunk and starting to stink.

NEVADA CCW INSTRUCTOR