What do you think of gun stores which ban carry?

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Makes sense as some people unholster their guns.
8%
Wrong to ban carry as it weakens our case to carry elsewhere.
92%

Total votes: 263

silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

What do you guys make of gun shops that say no carry inside? I think it is wrong of a gun shop to do that as if they cannot trust gun owners, why should any other business? If you ask them, they will say that people draw their guns to show them and friends in gunstores and would not do that at the supermarket -- so they are a special case.
kalikraven
Elite Member

Post by kalikraven »

Do criminals follow rules, or laws? Restriuctions like this only make it safer for a criminal to rob the place.
Going a little more discrete here due to some of my opinions...
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

They are not afraid of being robbed. They are afraid of negligence.
kalikraven
Elite Member

Post by kalikraven »

Maybe thould should change thier signs to refelct that. I CCW and I go by the don't ask don't tell policy. The only way I should get caught is if I have to legally use my firearm.
Going a little more discrete here due to some of my opinions...
noiseless
Silent But Deadly

Post by noiseless »

I have been in a gun store three times where a customer whipped a gun out and NDed. In one case an employee was hit.

I understand Robert's side of it, but they don't let you put up a sign that says "If your Stupid, don't bring a loaded gun in the store"

In Elizabethtown KY, just outside Ft Knox/Knob Creek there is a gun shop that has a sign at the door that says something like "If you bring a concealed firearm into the store, keep it that way", I think that's a much better sign and Policy
[b]Sharp Knives and Quiet Guns[/b]

Inside Sales - Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9988 (phone)
770-925-9989 (fax)
[email protected]
www.aacblog.com
www.advanced-armament.com
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I would put up a sign "DO NOT UNHOLSTER FIREARM."
I would have small print under it so curious people could read an explanation.
Rob
Elite Member

Post by Rob »

The door of my local gun shop says that concealed weapons are welcomed and encouraged.

It doesn't matter though, I walk right past every 'no guns' sign that I see. They are legally meaningless in Oklahoma. Unless I am looking at a felony conviction if caught, I'm not asking permission to defend myself.

Rob
apochachuva
Silent But Deadly

Post by apochachuva »

Stores here have "no loaded firearms signs" under it it reads "CHL holders exempt" or they have, "keep your weapon holstered, or unloaded, action open and barrel up"
"You'll put yer eye out with that thing"

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." - Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

We don't have signs in MA except at a few gun stores. One of our malls has a rules sign and it says 'no weapons.' I assume they mean 'no illegal weapons' so I ignore it. Also no penalty except trespassing if they ask you to leave and you refuse.
apochachuva
Silent But Deadly

Post by apochachuva »

rsilvers wrote:We don't have signs in MA except at a few gun stores. One of our malls has a rules sign and it says 'no weapons.' I assume they mean 'no illegal weapons' so I ignore it. Also no penalty except trespassing if they ask you to leave and you refuse.
They have signs like that here at our malls, they even say no concealed, but they're not 30.06 signs so they're not considered official notice.
I've even seen some at hotels that had the lettering of 30.06, but failed to meet the minimum size requirement.(they put little tiny ones at the bottom of the door)
"You'll put yer eye out with that thing"

"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual; as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of." - Dr. Suzanna Gratia Hupp
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

rsilvers wrote:We don't have signs in MA except at a few gun stores. One of our malls has a rules sign and it says 'no weapons.' I assume they mean 'no illegal weapons' so I ignore it. Also no penalty except trespassing if they ask you to leave and you refuse.
Same applies in Georgia. "Don't ask, don't tell." If discovered and asked to leave, politely do so to avoid trespass citation.
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

Rob wrote:The door of my local gun shop says that concealed weapons are welcomed and encouraged.

It doesn't matter though, I walk right past every 'no guns' sign that I see. They are legally meaningless in Oklahoma. Unless I am looking at a felony conviction if caught, I'm not asking permission to defend myself.

Rob
I agree wholeheartedly and follow the same practice. Unless being discovered will result in a felony, I’ll take the risk of the misdemeanor, should I ever have a problem.
Stu
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stu »

apochachuva wrote:Stores here have "no loaded firearms signs" under it it reads "CHL holders exempt"
That's what my gun store has.
noiseless
Silent But Deadly

Post by noiseless »

700PSS wrote:
Rob wrote:The door of my local gun shop says that concealed weapons are welcomed and encouraged.

Rob
I agree wholeheartedly and follow the same practice. Unless being discovered will result in a felony, I’ll take the risk of the misdemeanor, should I ever have a problem.
Just be sure that there is not an enhancement in your State that ups Misd "Trespass" to Felony "Armed Trespass" when you care carrying a Firearm
[b]Sharp Knives and Quiet Guns[/b]

Inside Sales - Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9988 (phone)
770-925-9989 (fax)
[email protected]
www.aacblog.com
www.advanced-armament.com
Twinsen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Twinsen »

The larger gun shops in my area don't allow you to unbox ammo, it's like no ammo at the gunshow idea. It's not fear of gun owners, it's fear of anti-gunners that are reckless.
evo45
Elite Member

Post by evo45 »

The mall in my area has a no concealed carry sign along with the rest of the do not do's at the entrance but I still carry there. I have yet to be seen with it on and if the day comes that some one happens to notice it I dont dress like a criminal or act like one so I think that helps the situtation of someone not freeking out.
evo45
Dweezil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dweezil »

If you know HOW to carry concealed, how are they gonna know?
"I'm from the government...I'm here to help."
bqnestle

Post by bqnestle »

I work in a national outdoor sports store that sells firearms and the employees aren't allowed to carry, yet CHL holders are welcome. I follow the "don't ask, don't tell" policy too.

We've had 2 ND's in our store in the 4 years it has been open, one by a gunsmith and one by a LEO.

Brad
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

Never saw a gun store like that, but gun shows are. Have been going to Texas Gun Shows for over 15 years, and have personally been present for 6 Accidental Discharges. None were from Concealed Firearm Holders, all were from Dealers.
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

Dweezil wrote:If you know HOW to carry concealed, how are they gonna know?
Anyone who carries a gun can get caught, no matter how well they conceal.
Carbinereloaded

Re: What do you think of gun stores which ban carry?

Post by Carbinereloaded »

rsilvers wrote:What do you guys make of gun shops that say no carry inside? I think it is wrong of a gun shop to do that as if they cannot trust gun owners, why should any other business? If you ask them, they will say that people draw their guns to show them and friends in gunstores and would not do that at the supermarket -- so they are a special case.

Well, you also have to consider (at least out here) their proximity to schools.

There's one school in town that has 3 gun shops within 100 yards.... with our anti-gun/school laws.... noone can have a loaded gun within those shops. Home owners are exempt from this.
Steppenwolf-Arme
dr_trav
Silent But Deadly

Post by dr_trav »

In my area there is a local gunshop and a national sporting goods retailer that have signs on their doors stating that all firearms must be unloaded, in a case, and checked at the front desk (not checked at the gunshop) and "This does not apply to concealed carry holders". I agree with this policy as it doesn't infringe on anyone's rights, and protects us all from the idiots.
Just another bitter man clinging to his guns and religion.
nauss
Silent But Deadly

Post by nauss »

I bought a H&K USP 45 from a store and wore it in weeks later and was asked if it was unloaded and if not do so outside.

I never went back.

That is how I deal with a ban....ban them.
Doctors accidentally KILL MORE people a year than all gun accidents in the USA. Take that Michael Moore
st33ve0
Silent But Deadly

Post by st33ve0 »

When I carry, my firearm never leaves the holster unless someone needs to be shot or I'm at a firing range...it should be common sense that you don't pull a loaded firearm out in public for any reason but an absolute necessity.

Those NDs in gun stores should be completely preventable by anyone who follows the basic rules of firearms safety :roll:

ETA:

If you don't think your customers with carry permits are responsible enough to carry, why would you sell them a firearm?
ironhrse44

Post by ironhrse44 »

I tell you what I would do! I would ban them and never ever go there again.