What do you think of gun stores which ban carry?

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

What do you think of gun stores which ban carry?

Makes sense as some people unholster their guns.
8%
Wrong to ban carry as it weakens our case to carry elsewhere.
92%

Total votes: 263

ironhrse44

Post by ironhrse44 »

I tell you what I would do! I would ban them and never ever go there again.
ironhrse44

Post by ironhrse44 »

ironhrse44

Post by ironhrse44 »

ironhrse44

Post by ironhrse44 »

GunNut
Silent Operator

Post by GunNut »

apochachuva wrote:Stores here have "no loaded firearms signs" under it it reads "CHL holders exempt" or they have, "keep your weapon holstered, or unloaded, action open and barrel up"
I was in Houston the week of Christmas and visited a couple of gun stores and ranges. I was pleased to see this type of sign. (or no sign at all). Here in GA, you see the unloaded bullshit at almost every store/range.

I CC, so I usually just ignore them if I need to go there, however, I usually steer clear of them and patronize the businesses that fully support the 2nd amendment.

Not to mention, I feel it is more dangerous to require law abiding citizens that could keep their weapons holstered to either unholster and unload their weapon at the door or in their vehicle.....most of which would reload their weapon upon leaving.
GunNut
AAC Aviator, AAC Evo9
SWR Hems 2, AAC M4-2000
MisterWilson
Silent But Deadly

Post by MisterWilson »

rsilvers wrote:They are not afraid of being robbed. They are afraid of negligence.
So knowing that, why bother asking & making the poll?

How many holes in the ceiling before that policy becomes quite reasonable?
Your Mom.
tylermtech
Silent But Deadly

Post by tylermtech »

You see some of the worst gun handling habits ever at gun stores. Its usually the same guy thats talking about filing the firing pin on his AK, and shooting prople with his "sniper" rifle. If I owned a gun store, I would be a little afraid of some of the shoppers that frequent the store.
RX7-2nr
Silent But Deadly

Post by RX7-2nr »

this thread reminds me of an applicable situation-

i was in cheaper than dirt in ft. worth maybe 6 months ago, checking out the handguns.

some customer comes up to the counter next to me, with a set of tritium sights that he picked up off the shelf and asks the guy behind the counter if they can install them. the guys says yes, so the customer pulls up his jacket and takes a Glock out of a holster, and proceeds to inadvertently point it at the guy standing next to him while he ejected the mag and dumped the live round that was in the chamber.

i stood there with a major WTF! look on my face.
razerface
Silent But Deadly

Post by razerface »

Would not purchase anything from a gun shop with that rule unless absolutely neccesary!!

Would carry there anyway.
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

There used to be ONE gunshop around here I know of that allowed carry. They no longer do, claiming negligent draws. The example the store owner told me was the last straw was when a guy drew his gun and proceeded to unload it while pointing it at him. According to the store owner, when confronted with the safety violation, the man replied, "It's ok, I'm a cop." Doesn't matter now, they offered me an insultingly low value on a trade in for a rifle (less than the stock alone is worth).

Anyway, I agree with Robert. Allow carry but have some big signs that saying things like "If you conceal carry, KEEP IT CONCEALED."
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
eazenutz33
Silent But Deadly

Post by eazenutz33 »

my 3 favorite gun shops ENCOURAGE CCW in and out of their store, BUT they have signs everywhere stating that if you need your CCW looked at or anything THEY will clear the gun.

I had an argument with another gun shop owner about not being able to carry my CCW in his shop.......he told me he didnt trust anyone but his guys to carry in his shop. I set down the case of ammo I was going to buy, grabbed one of the cards he hands out for businesses that dont allow CCW's saying "no ccw, no cash" with a pic. I placed the card on top of the case and said I would no longer shop there.

I still dont go back there, but he pulled his sign down. Hard to encourage CCW's and not allow em without looking like a hypocrite!
I got a silencer for my wife.......I think it was a good trade!
ironhrse44

Post by ironhrse44 »

I went to the movie the other nite and they had the sign "no concealed carry". I won't be going there anymore!
eazenutz33
Silent But Deadly

Post by eazenutz33 »

ironhrse44 wrote:I went to the movie the other nite and they had the sign "no concealed carry". I won't be going there anymore!
Did you ask to speak to the manager or leave a business card with the cross out circle over money letting em know you will give no money to a place that prohibits CCW???

I wouldnt go there either, BUT, money talks, and they may change their minds if it isnt a corporate policy.

The local Price Chopper here took their signs down......too many people telling em they would do all their shopping elsewhere because of it. We do have alot of CCW people around here tho (small farm town where people drive to KC to work alot).
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

dr_trav wrote:In my area there is a local gunshop and a national sporting goods retailer that have signs on their doors stating that all firearms must be unloaded, in a case, and checked at the front desk (not checked at the gunshop) and "This does not apply to concealed carry holders". I agree with this policy as it doesn't infringe on anyone's rights, and protects us all from the idiots.

Cabellas
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
skychaser53
Silent Operator

Post by skychaser53 »

rsilvers wrote:I would put up a sign "DO NOT UNHOLSTER FIREARM."
I would have small print under it so curious people could read an explanation.
The big shooter supply just on thye edge of Columbus lets you carry, but the big notice says "Don't unholster your firearm"....... makes sense to me..
steve7478
Silent But Deadly

Post by steve7478 »

I can see why they worry. There are quite a few people who obtained all their firearm training from "Lethal Weapon" and "Boondock Saints". I have seen a lot of stupid s--t people point guns at each other unintentionally. If you think about the young and dumb that get an adrenalin rush when they are in the store eying up the latest new whatever literally shaking as they hold a $2500 never gonna afford it anyway rifle and then they want to show off their piece that the just had a trigger job on it gets kind of scary for a second or two.
There is an 11 to 17 minute response time to a 911 call. You can either choose to put effective rounds on target, neutralizing the threat, or try to find a telephone. The person who killed you while you were dialing 911 will have enough time to cook a frozen pizza before the "Badged Historians" show up to draw the chalk line.
eazenutz33
Silent But Deadly

Post by eazenutz33 »

steve7478 wrote:I can see why they worry. There are quite a few people who obtained all their firearm training from "Lethal Weapon" and "Boondock Saints". I have seen a lot of stupid s--t people point guns at each other unintentionally. If you think about the young and dumb that get an adrenalin rush when they are in the store eying up the latest new whatever literally shaking as they hold a $2500 never gonna afford it anyway rifle and then they want to show off their piece that the just had a trigger job on it gets kind of scary for a second or two.
so what you're saying is.....I SHOULDNT have learned to shoot from movies???
I got all my lessons taught to me while watching Wanted! I'm still trying to curve my shots around half a pig before I make my wife stand in front of it. jk of course
steve7478
Silent But Deadly

Post by steve7478 »

Dude come on curving bullets in flight is simple. Just tie a 30 foot piece of dental floss to the bullet, fish it down the barrel after having been tied to a tree at a 90 degree angle to the bore and presto you will have the most kick ass game of tether ball ever.
There is an 11 to 17 minute response time to a 911 call. You can either choose to put effective rounds on target, neutralizing the threat, or try to find a telephone. The person who killed you while you were dialing 911 will have enough time to cook a frozen pizza before the "Badged Historians" show up to draw the chalk line.
nauss
Silent But Deadly

Post by nauss »

I'll say it again....ban the store...very easy
Doctors accidentally KILL MORE people a year than all gun accidents in the USA. Take that Michael Moore
1911pilot
Elite Member

Post by 1911pilot »

I usually ignore those signs anyway. Concealed is concealed. Of course the legality of this may depend on your particular states laws.
Colt 1911: The original point and click interface.
ArevaloSOCOM
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by ArevaloSOCOM »

1911pilot wrote:I usually ignore those signs anyway. Concealed is concealed. Of course the legality of this may depend on your particular states laws.
+1

Same for Zip tiying my gun at agunshows/knob creek.

Uh..........no thanks.
NFAtalk.org
eazenutz33
Silent But Deadly

Post by eazenutz33 »

here in MO its a $100 AFTER they ask you to leave and you refuse. Second offense is another $100 and they suspend your CCW for a bit.

I've carried in A LOT of places with signs up and never had an issue before.....even carrying in areas most would never believe, including TWICE in one stadium where they pat you down before you can go in. As said above, concealed is concealed!
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

Not allowing CCW in a gun shop is absurd but I've got an even better one. How about a shooting range with no CCW? Yup. I shot a mid-range high power match last fall at a "gun club" in Cincinnati, OH. Posted directly on the front gate to the club is the no CCW sign. The following is a direct quote from their forum by their NRA High Power Match Director dated 5-31-08.

"The no CCW rule is a safety issue period. If you were to check most other ranges in the country you will find that that they have the same rule. The idea is that a firearm is to be uncased/unflagged and loaded only at a firing point and that when you leave the firing point that the firearm is unloaded and cased or flagged safe, no one wants to wonder if the guy that just got out of his car with a handgun already has it loaded or not. This is especially true at pistol matches and for people that are practicing for pistol matches where people regularly have a holstered handgun. On the rifle ranges there is no need to have a loaded handgun on your person at all, with rare exceptions you would not be able to accurately hit the target at those distances anyway.

Yes the club supports CCW and we did offer a service to our members when it first started but even our instructors who are already licensed didn't and still don't carry on club property because they know that it is not safe. We do not set the rules for insurance, if anything they are dictated to us. Check it out and see how easy it is to get insurance for a gun club, we've had a different policy/carrier almost every year for the past six years. As far as how to unload, use some common sense, lock it in a case at the gate, find an unoccupied range or other safe place."

Unfortunately, it's a nice place overall and the closest range to shoot at 600 yds. No, I still haven't joined - would be hypocritical at best.
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
Armorer-at-Law
Silent But Deadly

Post by Armorer-at-Law »

Unfortunately, it's a nice place overall and the closest range to shoot at 600 yds.
Ah, so you speak of Miami Rifle & Pistol Club. I left Fairfield Sportsmen's Club for similar reasons (plus their "no fun allowed" policies). The sign went up at Miami before I could complete my membership obligations, so I just let it drop.

Found any alternative range to join?
Send lawyers, guns, and money...
Armorer-at-Law.com
07FFL/02SOT
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

How about shooting ranges that allow ONE round in a magazine. Common around here.