Federal CCW Permit ... Bullshit?

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

pneumagger
Silent But Deadly

Federal CCW Permit ... Bullshit?

Post by pneumagger »

Ok, an avid gun enthusist I hang around with has mentioned to me that such a thing called a "Federal CCW" exists and it basically lets one carry wherever they please - preempting state and municipal laws. The concept seems awesome, but does such a thing exist?
I smell BS, and I'm not sure what to believe. I mean, I want it to be true because if so I certainly want one. :shock:
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

BS
Carbinereloaded

Post by Carbinereloaded »

IIRC there is something like this for retired LEO's
Steppenwolf-Arme
BWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWT »

... We'd like to see that passed into law, and they've attempted a few times.

Honestly, the best alternative is your home state and a few states that allow non-residents licenses, like I think N.H. and F.L. do.

The people I know that I plan on getting S.C. and F.L., the reciprocity laws are great, I can carry in Georgia then when I go to see my father, which honestly I'd love to just because, when I go to the city, I'd love to have that option.

ETA: There is a law for all LEO's, I know Active at least, I don't remember if retired or not.
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

Carbinereloaded wrote:IIRC there is something like this for retired LEO's
There is a Fed Law that allows LEOs (and retired) to carry on their LEO credentials, but it does NOT allow them to "carry wherever they please - preempting state and municipal laws."
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

Does anyone know how executive protection details carry when traveling from state to state with their principal?
Wilder
Elite Member

Post by Wilder »

I have heard that federal court judges or retired FCJ's can do this.
Alee Hillbilly
noiseless
Silent But Deadly

Post by noiseless »

renegade wrote:
Carbinereloaded wrote:IIRC there is something like this for retired LEO's
There is a Fed Law that allows LEOs (and retired) to carry on their LEO credentials, but it does NOT allow them to "carry wherever they please - preempting state and municipal laws."
Correct. "HR218" allows active duty officers and qualifying Retired LEOs to carry in any state, but they must follow local restriction laws. Doesn't give them any enforcement ability, just allows them to carry
700PSS wrote:Does anyone know how executive protection details carry when traveling from state to state with their principal?
Private Investigator Licenses in multiple states usually
[b]Sharp Knives and Quiet Guns[/b]

Inside Sales - Advanced Armament Corp.
770-925-9988 (phone)
770-925-9989 (fax)
[email protected]
www.aacblog.com
www.advanced-armament.com
Sniper308

Post by Sniper308 »

I am a qualified retired LEO and do carry under HR218. It is somewhat more restrictive than regular CCW as you must qualify every year to renew it and you are only allowed to carry the gun you specifically qualify with.

Thankfully the department I retired from is willing to allow qualified officers the chance to qualify most anytime and at no charge.
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

It seems like every 15 or 20 years this rumor pops up, don't we all wish it were true. :)
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
digitspaw
Silent Operator

Post by digitspaw »

Hush wrote:It seems like every 15 or 20 years this rumor pops up, don't we all wish it were true. :)

I don't wish it true in the least bit. What the feds giveth, the feds can take away. I'm for states' rights. I would like to see all of the states get onboard with honoring CCW permits just like they do with driver licenses.
That being said, I'm good with having it conditional upon training or at least testing as all states require for their driver licensing.

I don't need to hear how the RKBA is a RIGHT and driving is a PRIVELEGE. Give me a break. If you pass a basic standards test, you should be able to carry in other states as long as you play by that state's rules. Just like driving. IMHO.

Paw

I have a perfect body. It's in the trunk and starting to stink.

NEVADA CCW INSTRUCTOR
kingair76py

Post by kingair76py »

I was a deputy sheriff for 8 years, and now I fly corporate planes/jets.. wish us corporate pilots could get a "federal Flight Deck"license like the commercial guys get .. they can carry anywhere in the cont. u.s. :(~
Alderak

Post by Alderak »

I have to agree with Paw.

Fed gov needs to shrink, not grow. Power, spending, influence, ect. all included.
renegade
Silent But Deadly

Post by renegade »

kingair76py wrote: wish us corporate pilots could get a "federal Flight Deck"license like the commercial guys get .. they can carry anywhere in the cont. u.s. :(~
Not exactly. They are extremely limited where they can carry basically to/from airport and on plane.
Rob
Elite Member

Post by Rob »

I carry all over the country and I stopped checking packing.org years back.

Concealed means concealed.

Rob
silverbulletexpress
Silent But Deadly

Post by silverbulletexpress »

i always thought Federal CCW's were bullshit too. But I then I was showed one, looked it over, they do exist for certain personal. It also stated not to detain this person for any reason. He also had Military ID, at the time he was a bodyguard-Joe Friday for a General. We were on the slick track at Ft Bragg at the time when I made the stupid statement that Federal CCW's don't exist and had to eat my words. Guess you can't believe everything you read in Soldier of Fortune.:oops:
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, 1785
JMC
Silent But Deadly

Re:

Post by JMC »

Sniper308 wrote:I am a qualified retired LEO and do carry under HR218. It is somewhat more restrictive than regular CCW as you must qualify every year to renew it and you are only allowed to carry the gun you specifically qualify with.

Thankfully the department I retired from is willing to allow qualified officers the chance to qualify most anytime and at no charge.
+1 on HR 218 carry.

A local Sheriff's Office here in Central FL offers HR 218 quals twice a year, free of charge. At the last qual date in June there were 30+ retirees in the morning session alone. They even supply a free lunch. :)
continuity
Elite Member

Re:

Post by continuity »

silverbulletexpress wrote:i always thought Federal CCW's were bullshit too. But I then I was showed one, looked it over, they do exist for certain personal. It also stated not to detain this person for any reason. He also had Military ID, at the time he was a bodyguard-Joe Friday for a General. We were on the slick track at Ft Bragg at the time when I made the stupid statement that Federal CCW's don't exist and had to eat my words. Guess you can't believe everything you read in Soldier of Fortune.:oops:
"Mhmmm" a quote from the Deputy that stopped the Fed. who at the time was doing his best to slalom the centerline dashes with his vehicle carrying plates that didn't "come back" when checked. This piece of work had special (hell, he had a whole wallet full) of special Id's... military do not detain, special person, etc. on him. Got a free ride in a cruiser anyway. Will admit that upon arrival at the local pokey, and after a call to the office he was a part of, a couple of suits that looked like they ate small children for lunch showed up inside 60 minutes. They had a local judges release for this clown in hand (at 0230 hrs.) and "took responsibility for him". The charges disappeared. No sanctions for the Deputy. Whole thing just went away.

Point being, no matter who you are, or what documents you have on you, if you're acting the fool, expect special treatment.

BTW, only the POPO Federal CCW license for retired POPO's, the Pilot permits, or the appropriate PI documents are recognized as "legal", in the central Ohio area anyway. So are consulate document carriers. Even then, questional behavior will assure one of unwelcomed attention, and at least time spent while verification is made. Verification can take a while, and may need to be made in other than the stop/contact location.

Having said all that, depending on the LEO, casual contact that results in possession awareness without reason to act otherwise, has a high probablity of being all good.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Re: Federal CCW Permit ... Bullshit?

Post by David Hineline »

Why is it we scream for state's rights, but when the state's take one away, we scream for federal override of state's rights, and if the fed's block something we scream for God Given Rights.
NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
mtl272

Post by mtl272 »

as a 15 year member and activist for the NRA i can tell you, you(we all) Do NOT want carry permits at the federal level, i can't remember where i heard it ,but i heard that it was suggested that the Obama admin. could claim that it is necessary to national security, and issue an executive order suspending all state issue carry permits. to be replaced by a national federal issued permit FREE :evil: of charge , the catch is that you would have to register the firearm you will be carrying, if caught carrying any other gun would be a federal offense. ....Can anyone say back door registration. i'll try to find where i heard this, i will some times go on liberal websites from my work computer so i have a different ip and spy on the anti gun groups.

i'm reading Broke by glen beck, love it!
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

David Hineline wrote:Why is it we scream for state's rights, but when the state's take one away, we scream for federal override of state's rights, and if the fed's block something we scream for God Given Rights.
Because first and foremost are the rights of the people. States cannot violate the rights of the people, the Federal Goverment cannot violate the rights of the States or the rights of the People. At least, that's how it's supposed to work.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
Jon89

Post by Jon89 »

silverbulletexpress
i always thought Federal CCW's were bullshit too. But I then I was showed one, looked it over, they do exist for certain personal. It also stated not to detain this person for any reason. He also had Military ID, at the time he was a bodyguard-Joe Friday for a General. We were on the slick track at Ft Bragg at the time when I made the stupid statement that Federal CCW's don't exist and had to eat my words. Guess you can't believe everything you read in Soldier of Fortune.

years ago when my dad was still in the army he had something similar to this. i remember picking it up and asking about it. he explained to me that it was basically a do whatever i feel "necessary to protect my VIP" badge. he still has it sitting around somewhere in one of his i love myself books i will try to find it next time i am home from college and take a picture of it to post. he did say that he was only authorized to carry the badge while on the job or traveling for "business" related trips
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart »

David Hineline wrote:Why is it we scream for state's rights, but when the state's take one away, we scream for federal override of state's rights, and if the fed's block something we scream for God Given Rights.
I never want to see "permits" at the federal level. I hate the NFA registry, Form 1s, Form 4s, etc. and never want to see it or anything like it extend to other forms of firearms or rights.

I do want to see the feds affirm that the 2nd Amendment shall not be fucked with and that anyone in the US can carry wherever the hell they want to, with very few exceptions, like private property and jails.

Basically, the feds guaranteed us certain rights that *ALL* legislators need to respect. The feds should only do those things that the states cannot do for themselves. Not the things that the feds believe they can do a better job of providing or controlling.
"And by the way, if you're gonna take up a hobby of letter writing, you might want to learn how to spell "writing" you stupid F--k." - Nighthawk re kwikrnu