Another run in with the cops with my gun.

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Wyatt9k
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wyatt9k »

lol heh cant carry one of you, thats funny, even if I could carry one of them I still wouldnt trust them with my life. I dont think they should take your pistol and check it or whatever if you have a valid CCW.. (Heh one time I was goin like 75 in a 45 one time at night and when I came over this hill I saw the two yellow signal lights on a cop car that was sitting to the side waiting for people like me speeding to give tickets too, I was like ah s--t, and I told him why dont he actually get out and patrol the streets than sit on the side of the road and wait for speeders. Which I was going to slow down anyways I didnt plan on going 75 all the way. He said if I said anything else he was going to take me down to the station.)
dae.edorian
Silent But Deadly

Post by dae.edorian »

Huh, that's interesting. I'm pretty sure in my state (Maine) you cannot have ANY gun loaded and within easy reach of passengers unless you have a permit. Even then, it must be a handgun. I don't think it's ever legal to have a loaded long gun in a moving vehicle.

Incidentally, I just got my permit last week, but I have nothing worth carrying. All my handguns are either too big, or .22s. I like the CZ P01, but I'm a tall, thin sorta guy, and even that might be too big to easily conceal. I think I am going to start keeping my P226 in my car, though.
Stu
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stu »

dae.edorian wrote:Huh, that's interesting. I'm pretty sure in my state (Maine) you cannot have ANY gun loaded and within easy reach of passengers unless you have a permit.
Oh I hear that ALL the time here. I hear it from cops, guys working at the gun store, guys working at the shooting range. I don't even bother to ask anyone anymore.
dae.edorian wrote: Even then, it must be a handgun. I don't think it's ever legal to have a loaded long gun in a moving vehicle.
The law in my state is that the long gun can be loaded, you just can't have a round chambered.
dae.edorian wrote: I like the CZ P01, but I'm a tall, thin sorta guy, and even that might be too big to easily conceal. I think I am going to start keeping my P226 in my car, though.
You should pretty easily be able to conceal either of those, and if you can't, who cares if it prints?

1) No one will notice.

2) You have a CCW now so you can just show the permit and make who ever smell your ball sack.
Cortland
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Cortland »

I've been stopped for speeding three times since I've had my CHP. In Virginia, your CHP status is tied in with your vehicle registration, so while there is no duty to inform that you're carrying, the cop is going to know when he runs your registration. In every case, I have in fact been carrying, but the officer never brought it up and neither did I ....
Stu
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stu »

I found this on Opencarry.org for you.

http://www.opencarry.org/me.html

And here are some state specific statutes for you. I just searched "firearm" in the text.

http://www.mainelegislature.org/legis/s ... search.asp
dae.edorian
Silent But Deadly

Post by dae.edorian »

Stu wrote:You have a CCW now so you can just show the permit and make who ever smell your ball sack.
Ha, good point. The Maine permit is pretty rinky-dink. It's a little folded piece of paper and all the info on it is handwritten. I got mine laminated to add a shred of legitimacy if I ever have to show it to a non-LEO, and of course to keep it from disintegrating in my wallet.

It was real easy to get though, and I suppose that's what matters.

Yeah, I was just looking at that opencarry page a minute ago. Pretty much stuff I already knew. I just graduated college, but I'll probably be going back soon for a masters, and it really upsets me that I can't carry on campus. It seems to be one of the places that really NEEDs sane armed people, considering recent events.

I'm skimming through the Maine statutes. Looks like I can carry in a bar unless there's a sign, but I can't carry while drunk. Damn.
Brian HHI 7265
Silent But Deadly

Post by Brian HHI 7265 »

dae.edorian wrote:
Stu wrote:You have a CCW now so you can just show the permit and make who ever smell your ball sack.
Ha, good point. The Maine permit is pretty rinky-dink. It's a little folded piece of paper and all the info on it is handwritten. I got mine laminated to add a shred of legitimacy if I ever have to show it to a non-LEO, and of course to keep it from disintegrating in my wallet.

It was real easy to get though, and I suppose that's what matters.

Yeah, I was just looking at that opencarry page a minute ago. Pretty much stuff I already knew. I just graduated college, but I'll probably be going back soon for a masters, and it really upsets me that I can't carry on campus. It seems to be one of the places that really NEEDs sane armed people, considering recent events.

I'm skimming through the Maine statutes. Looks like I can carry in a bar unless there's a sign, but I can't carry while drunk. Damn.
Having had a CCW for over 25 years in Maine...

You're correct, no loaded long gun. It's ok to have a loaded mag that one can instantly pop into the rifle though- go figure.

Yuppers on the CCW holder being in control of the weapon. If you step out you'd better have it on you, or have another CCW holder in control of it. My wife has a permit for that reason alone.

BTW, unless you're grandfathered there is now a course one must attend in order to have a permit, as well as pass the small investigation. When my wifes last permit ran out it was years later that we realized it, we just went to the PD and since we were known to them it was just a matter of paying the $ and coming back to pick it up. It might be rinky dink, but that's one of the benefits of living in a state with low crime and population, where most folks know each other. If you want a more "involved" system, by all means move to a crime ridden state, where no one knows anyone else, and you'll get your wish. BTW, I preserve mine as well. A spray can of Krylon Acrylic coating lasts a very long time. 2 spray coats and it lasts forever. It's found at any art supply store.

One thing I didn't know... I always thought it wasn't a good idea to carry in a bar. Then I thought it had been made illegal. A bailbondsman that I know real well infomed me that it wasn't. I never believed him. OK, so I was wrong, but I still won't carry in a bar- just not a wise move IMHO. Heck, I stay away from where I can't carry anyway- mostly.

BTW, I carry in post offices, just how in hell will they know unless I need it to save lives? Carried correctly, they never know.

Pre 9/11 I was waiting for my wife to come in to Portland jetport. I was scruffy, needed a haircut and a shave, and was a LEO at the time. Wearing a field jacket over a full size 1911, OWB holster, yes, if one knew what to look for it could be seen. Little did I know I was under surveillance. The wifes plane had a bomb scare in Newark or NY. When I got up to greet her and pick up the luggage, security came to check "our" IDs. It wasn't to check hers, but mine. I flashed my CCW permit and we were all old friends.

I have no idea what would happen today. Probably the same thing, as I wasn't trying to get on board, but I don't know. Anyone?

BTW, long ago ex LEO, but some of the folks at the PD still remember me. When I went there for my prints for the suppressor it was like "coming home" day.

Enough of my rambling.
Stu
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stu »

I plan to make photo copies and laminate each copy of the CCW. Then go to the good will store for some old wallets, tear them up and sew pockets onto the inside of every holster that I have. That way I don't have to worry about having a copy on me.
Brian HHI 7265
Silent But Deadly

Post by Brian HHI 7265 »

Stu wrote:I plan to make photo copies and laminate each copy of the CCW. Then go to the good will store for some old wallets, tear them up and sew pockets onto the inside of every holster that I have. That way I don't have to worry about having a copy on me.
Can it be done so that you won't have to remove your piece to get at the permit? Maybe a separate and obviously seperate place on the gunbelt for permit storage? If not, you might want to rethink and get a separate holder (kept with the gun so as to remember) and another in your "photo file" in your wallet. Even someone brain dead (ME) can rememeber redundant systems. Trust me on this... You must make it redundant and "fool proof" to make up for those days when we have other things on our mind. How many cops will allow us to remove our piece to get to the permit? I wouldn't count on it. "Hands on the wheel!" .

Just my ramblings.
Stu
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stu »

That's a good point, not to mention the increased chances of the gun getting caught on it when drawing and holstering. I guess with an IWB holster, it wouldn't at all be a big deal sew the pocket onto the outside and put a zipper on it.

Even though you have a good point, I'd just suggest to the officer that they have me get out of the car and remove the gun for me, then I'd be glad to get the permit. BUT, I'd always have another copy in my wallet anyway; and I always get my wallet out before I stop to avoid reaching places that make cops nervous.

I was thinking about the pocket on the holster would be most beneficial for times when I don't have my wallet, like when I'm jogging or something. And again in that situation, I'd just suggest the officer remove the weapon so I could provide the paper work. I think they'd understand wanting to travel light while jogging, but I can't imagine what situation I'd come across the cops while jogging unless I already had to blast someone.

Well, yes I can. I run at night a lot.
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

I've been pulled over twice, once for speeding (guilty), and once for failure to dim (bullshit). In each case I turn the dome light on and pass the CHL with my DL and registration. I keep the CHL right behind my license in my wallet. They ask if I'm carrying, and where the roscoe is, and that is it. They know when they run the DL anyway, and this way is upfront. Traffic stops at night are nice times to do what you can to make the cop feel secure.
The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.
Thomas Jefferson

USPSA FY60903...B-class SS, B-class L10, B-class Prod.
IDPA A30195...Expert CDP, Master SSP
Brian HHI 7265
Silent But Deadly

Post by Brian HHI 7265 »

The last time I was stopped the A--hole cop tried to pinch me for not having my seat belt fastened.

I asked the clown just how the hell he thought my wallet got out of my hip pocket and into my hand? I was pissed!

And that didn't include the fact that my vehicle was stopped and out of gear. Next time I think I'll just let the retard stand in the right hand lane on I-95 and dodge the traffic while I get my documents out. I drove at least a mile so that the brain dead smokey could have a safe spot to approach me. Some folks just don't get it.

BTW, the A--hole stopped me because he was tailgating me and I gave him the finger. Good stop, he causes me to get pissed off, then pulls me over. I wanted that to go to court! Last I heard, being not more than 10 feet from the car in fronts bumper @ 65 mph was illegal. Giving a cop the finger isn't. That's just part of the job.

BTW, he let me walk- no surprise there. I eagerly anticipated seeing him in court though. To see how he'd try to talk his way out of precipitating the event and his endangering of me.

I didn't identify myself that time. He had more than enough on his plate and was a few cards short of a hand. But that's my take on state troopers in Maine.

The previous one I "ran into" was at the range. My buddy and I are on the handgun range and this clown pulls up. He unloads his gear and get this... I'm shooting a .375/06 JDJ and my buddy is shooting an AK. This trooper walks ahead of the firing line and starts shooting. Of course I call a cease fire, which he ignores. I guess he though his bullet resistent vest was proof against an elephant gun. What a maroon. As I wrote, just a few cards short of a deck. I didn't know they had to meet a low score on the entrance exam, but it certainly appears they do. No, I don't inform them of anything, they can't handle it if my experience is any judge.

Now local cops, that's different.
steve7478
Silent But Deadly

Post by steve7478 »

I was arrested for child endangerment and my PPKS was taken and kept for a whole month. After a million phone calls to the court and PD they released the gun without my silver tips. Can they keep the ammo?

Oh and just to clear my name the reason I was arrested was that I pulled into a gas station left my son sleeping locked in the car in a car seat at the front of the station and bought him a gallon of milk. When I stepped outside 2 minutes later with that gallon of milk a cop asked “is this your car sirâ€
There is an 11 to 17 minute response time to a 911 call. You can either choose to put effective rounds on target, neutralizing the threat, or try to find a telephone. The person who killed you while you were dialing 911 will have enough time to cook a frozen pizza before the "Badged Historians" show up to draw the chalk line.
.357sigger
Silent But Deadly

Post by .357sigger »

Where in STL did this happen? Just out of curiosity...and how long ago?
My circle of friends include: BENELLI, BROWNING, GLOCK, LMT, REMINGTON, RUGER, SIG, SPRINGFIELD, S&W, and I always try to find more friends...
steve7478
Silent But Deadly

Post by steve7478 »

St. Peters, Last Christmas
There is an 11 to 17 minute response time to a 911 call. You can either choose to put effective rounds on target, neutralizing the threat, or try to find a telephone. The person who killed you while you were dialing 911 will have enough time to cook a frozen pizza before the "Badged Historians" show up to draw the chalk line.
.357sigger
Silent But Deadly

Post by .357sigger »

hmm...was it a Saint Charles county sheriffs deputy that had the hard on to lock you up? I am not surprised that they reacted like that...there is nothing else to do. Most of what I know about St. Peters cops is that they are pretty cool. STL city cops could give a rats ass what law abiding citizens do. Most of SLCPD is the same way...esp in the north.
My circle of friends include: BENELLI, BROWNING, GLOCK, LMT, REMINGTON, RUGER, SIG, SPRINGFIELD, S&W, and I always try to find more friends...
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

I'm surprised. Most county SDs I've been around have been tolerant with regular citizens & "community-policing" type, and townie cops are more often the "cite & fine", HS 2nd-string offensive lineman type.
The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground.
Thomas Jefferson

USPSA FY60903...B-class SS, B-class L10, B-class Prod.
IDPA A30195...Expert CDP, Master SSP
steve7478
Silent But Deadly

Post by steve7478 »

yep St Charles Co was the hot head. I grew up in St Peters and they don't F--k around so when the Sheriff told me he was going to leave it to them I got a little scared but when St Peters showed up they were pretty laid back. You are right about SLCPD they are the s--t. I owned a Car Dealership in Dist 7 and they treated me pretty good. I know several SLCPD cops and all are good people.
steve7478
Silent But Deadly

Post by steve7478 »

St Louis cops have a difficult job. They actually get shot at on a regular basis. When they pull people over it is usually with their shotgun out and for a damn good reason. In north City it is a fucking Jungle. Cops have to try to do their jobs with their hands tied while watching all the arrests from the night before get let out the next day without charges. I had a guy at gun point and the cop walked into my line of fire to put the cuffs on. He did not freak out that I had a gun and was behind his back. If that would of happened in St Charles I would have been shot with a taser and SWAT called to “Clear the areaâ€
.357sigger
Silent But Deadly

Post by .357sigger »

Amen to the city cops...all of the ones that I know are great guys too and definitely dont take s--t from anyone...

I grew up in the Ballwin/Wildwood area...and all those guys are the same way...I am in the process of trying to get in to SLCPD's academy but do to all the budget cuts and other crap I may not be able to get in. I have a few other options on the table but with the way things are looking I may end up working for the city. I just have a bad feeling about having to live there for 7 years...the old saying of dont s--t where you sleep comes to mind :?

Where about do you live at now, I am right around 270-40. What range do you like to go to? Maybe we could meet up for a day of plinking...
steve7478
Silent But Deadly

Post by steve7478 »

The guy to talk to would be Blake Tucker. He has a lot of pull at the Academy. He going to be Chief one day. I live in O’Fallon MO and frequent Reifschenider (SP) state park. The unmanned outdoor ranges are better for me. Bush is too controlled. Bullseye feels like I am shooting inside my closet with the lights off.
.357sigger
Silent But Deadly

Post by .357sigger »

I hate busch and wont go there because of too many idiots....and yeah I know what you mean about feeling like a sardine at bullseye. Where is that other range that you go to? It sounds nice since there is no one there to tell you what to do...
steve7478
Silent But Deadly

Post by steve7478 »

from where I am at it is about another 45 minutes west. Warren County. To me it is worth the drive because it is a cool place. There are going to be idiots at any range but I don’t mind so much. I use to be an idiot. Some might argue that I still am. I have never heard about anything bad happening out there. We got harassed a little last time we were out there because we were using political yard signs to put our shoot n’ sees on. One was for the sheriff of that county. Oops. He was just pissed that nobody picks up their trash when they are done and some people bring s--t like old TV’s and computers to shoot at. You are only supposed to shoot paper targets.
.357sigger
Silent But Deadly

Post by .357sigger »

Sounds like fun...