Number of Weapon Limitations for CWP

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

BWT
Silent But Deadly

Number of Weapon Limitations for CWP

Post by BWT »

So, I was at CWP class.... awhile ago, Mother's day (I got it with my Mom along with her friend, another +1 for the Pro-Gun side, I need to post pics of that sometime.)

Anyway, the Instructor said that in the state of South Carolina you can legally only carry one firearm at a time with a Concealed Weapons Permit. Now I didn't really plan on carrying more then that, but I was considering looking at a part time job at a gun store, and I was thinking about maybe carrying a revolver in an ankle holster possibly in addition to another firearm if I did go ahead with it.

Anyway, point being, I couldn't find any statutes stating anything regarding that. Was wondering if he was incorrect or if I was in the dark?

Thanks in advance for responses.
Artful
Silent But Deadly

Post by Artful »

You've check the state web site?
http://www.sled.sc.gov/cwp.aspx?MenuID=CWP

and talked to the local CWP holders?

http://www.scfirearms.org

Myself I would want to ask the instructor for the statue that cover's that rule or get a hold of the state Attorney General's off for a letter stating they have no legal objecion to you doing what you plan.
"Trying to tax yourself into prosperity is like standing in a bucket and trying to pick yourself up by the handle." - Winston Churchill
Rob
Elite Member

Post by Rob »

In Oklahoma, we have a handy little booklet that outlines all of our concealed carry and other firearms laws (fortunately they are few.) Your state may well have a similar document available. In Oklahoma, if it doesn't say no, we can.

For what it's worth, I can carry as many handguns as I can conceal in Oklahoma, though I rarely carry more than one. I would carry a J-Frame Smith all the time to supplement my G22, but I have never found a way to carry one as a backup that I really like. I hate ankle carry, and I'm not fond of pocket carry.

Rob
BWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWT »

I'm going to write a letter to SLED, I've done some research and don't see anything mentioning it.

...... You know on second thought, I might contact that organization, they are kind of like the State ATF, writing letters can lead to problems.

I'd hate to get our rights restricted because of the interpretation of an organization that drags it's ass out to the last minute on the "permits may take up to 90 days".
L1A1Rocker
Silent But Deadly

Post by L1A1Rocker »

In Texas there is no limit.
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

I see guns break all the time in comps. Not just jam, but break. I always carry at least one back up gun. Murphy has a way of rearing his ugly head at the worst possible moment.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe
BWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWT »

Davo5o wrote:I see guns break all the time in comps. Not just jam, but break. I always carry at least one back up gun. Murphy has a way of rearing his ugly head at the worst possible moment.
I feel the same way, I'm just working on my first "carry" gun now though. :wink: I'll give a review some time, once it's transferred, etc.

ETA: Thanks for the input, by the way, I did get in touch with a CWP Instructor that's also part of the GOA, JPFO, and NRA at scfirearms.org. He seems pretty squared away, and I figure he's probably familiar with the statutes as well.

Being that he's involved in a legal organization that pushes for legislation (notably right now, carry in places that serve alcohol), I'm sure he'll be familiar, but unless he can give me a Code Number and Law, I'm going to play it safe.

One thing I've learned about firearms, don't take you hear for granted.
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

When carrying a BUG I think it's important that it's compatible with your primary. That way if the primary goes down you can still use it's mag if you need it. Personally I think the G23/27 or G19/26 combo are perfect in that respect.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free." -Goethe
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I have been known to carry a P7 and P7. I have a right hand and a left hand IWB holster.
jppd47
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by jppd47 »

rsilvers wrote:I have been known to carry a P7 and P7. I have a right hand and a left hand IWB holster.
Fantastic.
Both behind you, on either side? Just curious. I have a .357 snub nose I need to get a good IWB holster for or a ankle. I have considered carrying that as well as the glock 23, or PPK. Never gave thought to the same type or same pistol.
pro-gun gun owners are a minority.
Fair Use applies (U.S. Code Title 17 Chapter 1 Subsection 107)
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

rsilvers wrote:I have been known to carry a P7 and P7. I have a right hand and a left hand IWB holster.
That's called the "New York Reload".
BWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWT »

MIT Gangster. :lol:
st33ve0
Silent But Deadly

Post by st33ve0 »

Davo5o wrote:
I had always heard it called the "Texas Reload" don't suppose it matters though... I always carry my Kel Tec P3AT and usually carry something bigger when I can get away with it. I plan on picking up a G19 and either a G17 or G34 to carry in my colossus bag.
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

BWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWT »

st33ve0 wrote:
Davo5o wrote:
I had always heard it called the "Texas Reload" don't suppose it matters though... I always carry my Kel Tec P3AT and usually carry something bigger when I can get away with it. I plan on picking up a G19 and either a G17 or G34 to carry in my colossus bag.
I shot a G19 lent to me by an Instructor at my CWP course, honestly. It's a great gun. It also had some decals similar to stippling, a lightened trigger and Tritium 3 dot sights. I honestly was impressed.

The single complaint I have, is I just can't find peace with the caliber 9mm.
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

BWT wrote:
st33ve0 wrote:
Davo5o wrote: That's called the "New York Reload".
I shot a G19 lent to me by an Instructor at my CWP course, honestly. It's a great gun. It also had some decals similar to stippling, a lightened trigger and Tritium 3 dot sights. I honestly was impressed.

That's why they make them in all the other pistol calibers as well.

Just pick you flavor.
eazenutz33
Silent But Deadly

Post by eazenutz33 »

always carry two here in Missouri......that ALWAYS includes my KelTec P3AT in a pocket or over my wallet, and whatever flavor of the day I feel like carrying.

Lately the FN57 pistol has become one of my favorites....its larger than my glock 17 but super lightweight and I'm fat so guns are easy to conceal. Plus, 21 rounds in the normal mag and chamber and a 30 round mag in my left pocket.....lotta ammo at my disposal!

The Glock 17 has ridden along from time to time.....keeping a 33 round mag in the truck and a spare 17 round mag with me.

Ol' Trusty Taurus PT145SS rides along alot and will never be sold (helped me once and earned its spot in my coffin!). But 11 rounds of .45acp with a spare 10 round mag, and more accurate than my Glock 17.

If I could find a way to carry my Judge with a 6.5" barrel concealed, I would! lol
I got a silencer for my wife.......I think it was a good trade!
steve7478
Silent But Deadly

Post by steve7478 »

Every state is different. You won't get in trouble if you ask the AG for clarification on the law and I would trust them over a group or org. Only carry as many as you can keep on you at all time.

Keeping different guns hidden throughout your house and car doesn't make you any safer. Keep it on your side, practice frequently, and keep it concealed.

sprinkling guns and ammo all around your castle will only add to the confusion when you actually need to use one to defend your home or family. Lock up all guns and ammo not in use by you. That way you will not accidentally arm any body else.
There is an 11 to 17 minute response time to a 911 call. You can either choose to put effective rounds on target, neutralizing the threat, or try to find a telephone. The person who killed you while you were dialing 911 will have enough time to cook a frozen pizza before the "Badged Historians" show up to draw the chalk line.
BWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWT »

Davo5o wrote:
BWT wrote:
st33ve0 wrote: I had always heard it called the "Texas Reload" don't suppose it matters though... I always carry my Kel Tec P3AT and usually carry something bigger when I can get away with it. I plan on picking up a G19 and either a G17 or G34 to carry in my colossus bag.

That's why they make them in all the other pistol calibers as well.

Just pick you flavor.
I can't get over no manual safety, I was eying the XD .45ACP model. Steel Magazines are a big +1 for me. The 13 round magazines were alluring.

But after handling and shooting a DW CBOB for a few hundred rounds, I'm love struck. Funny thing is, I always though I'd end up with a 5'' 1911 with a FLGR. I guess as my knowledge progressed, so did my tastes.

Thanks for the input, I haven't received any information back yet, I'm going to probably mail the AG as you guys suggested next week, when I get back in town.

ETA: I have fired a few hundred rounds through my Dad's G21. It was nice, complaints being, grip width, trigger pull, and the trigger itself. You get used to it, but it takes some time. Works great, but, It's allso way too boxy for me for it to be a gun I would carry.

That's the one concerns I had with the 1911 platform, magazine capacity. But I figure if it really bothers me, I could carry a 8 round in the gun, one in the chamber of course, and two spare Chip McCormick's 10 round mags. If I wanted, I dunno, we'll see how it pans out.

Thanks for the input.
Davo5o
Silent But Deadly

Post by Davo5o »

I think the G23 is probably the best all round CCW gun. It carries 13 rds of 40 in a very small package, and you can carry 15 rd back up mags. Seems to be the most popular model of the glocks. Double Tap makes 200gr JHP XTPs going 1050fps, and is almost on par with a 45acp in a much smaller package.

Personally I won't carry my Kimber pro carry anymore because I'm worried I'll forget to take the safety off when the s--t hits the fan.
steve7478
Silent But Deadly

Post by steve7478 »

+1 for the G23

Perfection

I use G22 mags for the added lip you get. I can rip them out if they stick in the magwell. I am not a big fan of the +2 extensions.
There is an 11 to 17 minute response time to a 911 call. You can either choose to put effective rounds on target, neutralizing the threat, or try to find a telephone. The person who killed you while you were dialing 911 will have enough time to cook a frozen pizza before the "Badged Historians" show up to draw the chalk line.
steve7478
Silent But Deadly

Post by steve7478 »

The only manual operated safety needed on a pistol would be the knuckle joints in your trigger finger.

If you had a safety lock or manual operated safety would you leave it lay on the coffee table while your kids were home? I hope not.

Keep your finger off the trigger until you have it pointed at what you are going to destroy.

Keep a round in the chamber because chances are you will not be able to use both hands during an attack.

Keep the loaded chambered firearm on you at all times. Get a quick access safe for it when you sleep.

practice, practice, practice. Just because you own a plane does not mean you can fly a plane.
BWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWT »

steve7478 wrote:The only manual operated safety needed on a pistol would be the knuckle joints in your trigger finger.

If you had a safety lock or manual operated safety would you leave it lay on the coffee table while your kids were home? I hope not.

Keep your finger off the trigger until you have it pointed at what you are going to destroy.

Keep a round in the chamber because chances are you will not be able to use both hands during an attack.

Keep the loaded chambered firearm on you at all times. Get a quick access safe for it when you sleep.

practice, practice, practice. Just because you own a plane does not mean you can fly a plane.
Every gun in my house is loaded with one in the chamber, or a round prepared to fire at the pull of the trigger. Every Single One. Shotguns, Rifles, Revolvers, Semi-Autos.

I just don't want something to snag the trigger, or get inside the trigger guard. That simple. I like something more than just a trigger pull, and honestly, I like the short resets and quick breaks of a 1911 trigger, I like that lighter trigger, it's great for follow ups.

Let me ask you this, do you guys want your Glock triggers around 3-4 lbs?

It's all about where you place your priorities.
steve7478
Silent But Deadly

Post by steve7478 »

I love the trigger on a 1911. I own a Kimber and a Colt 70's NM. 1911's are great guns and truly the standard by which all others are judged.

BUT...

I like having 15 rounds in a smaller package with a slightly stiffer trigger that doesn't rust for my everyday carry. To me a carry piece is a tool to get the job done.

I had a 3.5 connector for a while but I took it out because I like the 5 pounder. Truth be told it gives me more peace of mind.

I like my Sigs and Kimber better than Glock but I carry a G23 because it offers everything I need in a carry weapon. It is stupid simple, accurate, cheap, reliable, weather resistant, small, holds plenty of ammo, and very safe(absolutely can not be fired without pulling the trigger).

BWT

I guess you don't have any kids yet. Because when you do things change quick. The .45 XD with tac light in the bedroom nightstand...gone. The 8 shot 870 in the hall closet...gone. The PPKS in the kitchen...gone. Not to mention that when I had people over for a get together + drinking I always had to watch out for my friends. My close ones knew where they were and would get them out and F--k with them. Now there is only one or two out of the safe at a time and only if they are on me. It actually lowered my stress level a few points because it is less to worry about.

I have friends that have multiple loaded guns spread around their house and I get the draw on them every time because mine is always on me.

I find that being familiar with the function and operation of any and all firearms is a bonus but picking one to become exceptional with is a must. All pistols will point different and recoil different. I have a colt 38 with a 1.5 pound trigger. If I shoot my G23 with the stiff 5 pound trigger and then switch to the 38 I have to be very careful not to accidentally pull the trigger on the 38. I have had more ND's because of my finger being inside the trigger guard while acquiring a new target than I care to admit.
eazenutz33
Silent But Deadly

Post by eazenutz33 »

steve7478 wrote:The only manual operated safety needed on a pistol would be the knuckle joints in your trigger finger.

AMEN!

as for a 3-4# trigger in a glock carry piece..........my Glock 17 has the 3.5# connector and I've polished all metal surfaces in the gun as well, smoothing it out a bit more, and noticeably lowering the trigger pull just a bit. I DO carry in a molded leather S.O.B. holster that does not allow anything near the trigger. When I return home it goes WAY out of my sons reach and away from where anyone is allowed in our house.

The number one safety feature for anything is located between your ears. I wouldnt leave a loaded gun OR unloaded gun sitting out anywhere, anytime......regardless of safeties, kids, company,......guns are either on me or locked away.

EVERY gun I own, with the exception of my deer rifle and hunting shotgun (sit with chambers open and oiled the 8 months a year they aren't used), is kept loaded at all times.

An unloaded gun is nothing more than an expensive club!
I got a silencer for my wife.......I think it was a good trade!