German Sigs vs. ?????

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

libertyman777
Silent But Deadly

German Sigs vs. ?????

Post by libertyman777 »

I've been seeing some of these listed for sale. I've noticed that they don't have an accessory rail underneath but are there any other differences? Trigger, slide, etc?

Thanks,

Paul
Remember............ You're Special, Unique, One of a Kind.............Just like everyone else.................
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

The theory would be that the German sigs will be better due to the attention to detail, proofing requirments, etc. Since sig started building them in the US and then even manufacturing the frames and slides, so
e feel that they are less reliable or less accurate. I personally would not pay a primium for then German ones, but I would not hessitate buying one either.

The reason for the lack on the rail is that they typically are older models. Sig did not produce railed models until rather recently. Other than that though they will be functionally the same and may end up being a better gun that a brand new one.

There maybe be some differences depending on model but that will have more to due with age than US vs German. For example older p226's had a stamped steel slide rather than a stainless milled one. But you will find us stamped ones and german ones as well as the stainless.
AZshooter

Post by AZshooter »

The German manufactured 226 in 9mm that I own is very accurate and never misses a beat from 115gr pills to 147gr loads when the Trident9 is attached.
There isn't any appreciable differences between this and my new 229 w/rail, both run very well.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Older German Sigs may have a stamped (folded) steel slide instead of a milled stainless slide ... pre 2008 I think. There should be a stamp to indicate such if so. Some think folded is mo-betta.

There may be some difference in the frame material or manufacturing process as well but I don't recall.

My P226 is more accurate than me and even if it were more accurate I doubt I'd notice.

I believe Sig switched to the milled stainless slide primarily when the P229 .357 Sig and .40 came around. I seem to recall someone saying the older slides could not stand up to the beating.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
JC Weaponry
Silent But Deadly

Post by JC Weaponry »

Don't fall into the hype. The new SIGs are just as good as the old models.

The older models do weigh less, and that does appeal to some, but not all people.

Most other differences have already been covered by the other posters above.
SIGnature SIGsauer Dealer
01/03 SOT
Newberg, OR
1911pilot
Elite Member

Post by 1911pilot »

I have a few German Sigs and one American Sig. The American Sig is a P226R, which is my Evolution host. The Stamped slides might be a bit lighter but I've never held a stamped and milled gun of the same model at the same time.

I'm not a handgun rail fan in general, especially for CCW, but for my host gun/bedside gun its great.
Colt 1911: The original point and click interface.
aml
Elite Member

Post by aml »

From what I was told at the armorer's school, they switched over to CNC machined stainless slides because it was more cost effective from a business standpoint than folding and welding the old two piece carbon steel slides together (ETA: and could tolerate the chamber pressures of .40 and .357 SIG).

As far as anything you are likely to encounter (if you were to even go so far as to do this), the only difference would be found when completely stripping the weapon to its base components for a service inspection. The roll pins used to retain the firing pin in the older carbon steel slides are much easier to remove and install than the firing pin retaining pins used in current production models.

Both types will serve you well, but parts are starting to dry up for the older versions (had to purchase a buncha stuff Friday when the Sig rep told me that).