Another real life CCW comes in handy

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Stu
Silent But Deadly

Another real life CCW comes in handy

Post by Stu »

This is from my local board. Thought you guys would like to check it out. Good read. Happened the other day in Colorado Springs, CO.

http://www.co-ar15.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19009
Wow,
Talk about a scary incident. For those who don't like to read, bottom line is I'm okay and 3 fools are off the streets (at least until they post bond and are out in 6 hours).

Ok, so if you don't know me, I'm a big boy. About 6 foot and 320 pounds of pure good ol' American farm boy. I personally think I'd be the last type of guy to get mugged (big, semiconfident, look you in the eyes, smart, martial arts, trained, etc). Boy was I wrong. I came home from a late night (about 3 a.m.) from a family function (wife's mom, brothers, and sister live in town). We do not live in a wonderful part of town due to finances, but hopefully that'll change come May-ish when a job in my field may open up and I can get some student loans paid off.

So, we pull up and park. Wife gets out and heads up the stairs (apartments) and into the house. I'm cleaning out the trunk. Three spanish-speaking brown-skinned Americans (I think they were Americans, lol) walk up to me behind me (that's a no-no in my book)about 10 yards away. I hear them and caught a glimpse in the periphial vision. I stand up and turn around.

Me: Hello
Them: Hey vato, nice car.
(I drive a '97 honda civic with no front bumper, no suspension, and no electronics... nice car? What've they been smoking? Alarms sounding in head, gut getting tight... familiar feel of adreialine from my martial arts days)
Me: Thank you.
(Guy in middle pulls a knife)
Them: We'll take your wallet now homie.
Me: Okay, relax, no need for the knife.
(By this time I have positioned myself on the passengers back side panel of car, they are across the trunk, still about 10 yards off. They are still standing together as a group, bad idea folks.)
I take off my watch, set it on the trunk hood.
I take out my wallet, set it on the trunk hood.
I take out my car keys, set it on the trunk hood.
Me: There it is guys, no need for violence. Anything else?
Them: What else you got cracker?
(Me thinking: Thank God I don't have kids and that my wife is already inside. If she sees me, hopefully she's smart enough to stay inside and call the cops...)
Me: Well...
(pull out my CCW and hold it at my side, not drawn down on them yet - this could've been a major mistake if they were carrying...)
Me: Just this.
Them: Oh @#$^! Naw man, we just be messing with you. We good, we ain't gonna do no @#$^%.
(They start backing away.)
Me: (Now I draw down, yelling and sight braced on the trunk) DROP THE WEAPON!! GET ON THE GROUND!! HELP, CALL THE POLICE, I'M BEING MUGGED!! (repeated... this worries me as I had them on point... I obvisouly was not being mugged any more.)

Lead guy drops the knife, he gets on the ground, legs and arms extended. One guy runs off, but was caught later. Two police arrive moments later and draw down on me (understandable) and handcuff everyone. Story is explained. I'm checked out and released. Press charges, they head off to jail Wife was witnessed. Apparently she saw the confrontation, called the cops and was standing on the porch (overhead behind me, I couldn't see her facing the muggers) with the shotgun. Good wifey, I love her!

Later after we calmed down, I asked her about getting the shotgun (we never discussed this scenario - another mistake). She said she thought it would be a better deterrent than her pistol (recently bought her a G26). I asked that didn't she know that it was loaded with birdshot and it was likely she would've hit me too? She said nope, "I thought about that and unloaded it to put in the slugs."! WOW, I love her! lol. I've taken her to the range several times and I would like to think I'm taught her halfway decently.

So any analysis/discussion on better ways to do things etc would be appreciated. Yes, I am aware it is time to move... no need to point out the obvious. Talk about scary though, wow. I only had one other scary incident like this (that I'd prefer not to talk about) but that was years ago in my undergrad when I had a job (stupid idiot that I am sometimes) of being a bouncer.

So in closing, we (wife and I) are safe, three idiots are in jail (at least for a night). Happy New Year! *Here's to hopefully a few more years before something else happens!*
Black
Silent But Deadly

Post by Black »

Thanks for sharing that. He used his head and did everything right, I'm glad that it worked out the way it did.
"God is not on the side of the big battalions, but on the side of those who shoot best." - Voltaire

[url=http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj315/Montaska/Firearms/]My Photobucket[/url]
Lindenwood
Silent But Deadly

Post by Lindenwood »

I think he did everything well, placing his items on the hood to let them think they had won and thus letting their guard down. The only thing I might have done differently was to not taunt them with the "just this" part.

I see the logic in thinking they might be carrying, but realistically I think if they had guns, they wouldn't have one guy pull a knife from 10 yards away. If they were high or something, they could have likely bumrushed him before he could have raised the weapon and fired more than a shot or two. In that position, at that point, I probably would have drawn and immediately began the "get on the ground" schpeal. The justification for that would be "that they did not just want to take what I offered and leave led me to believe they were wanting or willing to hurt me to take more from me."

Glad he made it out safe.
tomahawk84
Silent But Deadly

Post by tomahawk84 »

+1 good job well done it's tough to stay calm in those situations..

wife did a good job too no matter what was loaded up in the shot gun.
N/A
Snake-eater 1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Snake-eater 1 »

Major kudos to the wife, she did everything right. He got a good one there!
"Our drills are bloodless battles,
Our battles are bloody drills."
A saying of the Spartans
Lindenwood
Silent But Deadly

Post by Lindenwood »

Oh and definitely kudos to the wife!!!
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

Very well done. I can only hope I do as well if ever confronted in the same way.

When you pull your wallet out and place it on the hood.....they are semi-distracted and looking at the wallet......then the proper thing to do is draw your weapon.... and immediately then go into "Drop the knife! Help I am being mugged!"?
-----
Ick
Snake-eater 1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Snake-eater 1 »

yell Fire!, Fire!. In some ( many?)neighborhoods, you're more likely to get help with Fire! than with Police! or I'm being mugged!. With Police or Mugged!, someone may be more likely to video you than call help for you. To help you themselves, out of the question.
"Our drills are bloodless battles,
Our battles are bloody drills."
A saying of the Spartans
Wyatt9k
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wyatt9k »

shiiiit naw, id've shot first, asked questions later :twisted: ...no way would someone pull a knife on me or any other weapon. Worthless bastards starting problems for decent people.
yellowfin
Silent But Deadly

Post by yellowfin »

Looks like that guy has one AWESOME wife!
"You can't stop insane people from doing insane things with insane laws...it's insane!"-- Penn Jilette
http://www.NYShooters.net
DoctorSolo
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoctorSolo »

yellowfin wrote:Looks like that guy has one AWESOME wife!
Plus won!

If someone pulled a knife while staring at me at less than 10 yards I'd cease conversation, and commence shooting...No need to be witty.

21 foot rule anyone?