Nighthawk, Ed Brown, or Wilson?

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Which 1911 should I get?

Wilson Combat CQB Elite
25%
Ed Brown Special Forces
26%
Nighthawk Enforcer
40%
Wildcard .....Wilson Combat CQB Elite in 10mm.
9%

Total votes: 68

Rob
Elite Member

Nighthawk, Ed Brown, or Wilson?

Post by Rob »

Looking for a 1911 that I will likely suppress. I have been looking at Nighthawk Enforcer, Ed Brown Special Forces, and Wilson CQB Elite. The Ed Brown is the least expensive of the three and can be had with no wait. Does anyone know the lead time on getting a Nighthawk or Wilson? To the average shooter, are they worth the better part of a grand more? I am willing to pay for quality if there is a difference. I will be carrying this gun concealed.

I am undecided on the rail as yet. While I have a few 1911s, I have never owned one with a rail.

Thanks,
Rob
Snake-eater 1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Snake-eater 1 »

You left off Les Baer. Several of my friends have purchased a Baer in the last several years, none have been disappointed.

I have a Wilson CQB, an early one. I wouldn't trade it for anything, but I bought it used at a great price (half normal).

I think you'll be pleased with any of the top names. They didn't get their current reputations by building junk.

The fact is, however, that my carry gun is s Colt Delta Elite in 10mm. So, I have to vote for the wild card--suppression might be an issue though.
"Our drills are bloodless battles,
Our battles are bloody drills."
A saying of the Spartans
diablito
Silent But Deadly

Post by diablito »

I have good experience with NH having owned several models... currently I posses a Dominator with a NH threaded barrel... great gun... without getting into a plethora of adjectives, its simply great... I've never really found use for a rail but then again I'm not on the field...

as for there being a difference... you bet your ass... from fitting to finishing... contact Only The Best Firearms in Pompano FL... they have a large in stock inventory of NH and Eds... no waiting!
ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThePatriot »

Springfield TRP?
"With a girl, there's a lot left in the girl's body without a head. Of course, the personality is gone."

-Edmund Kemper
TigWiz
Silent But Deadly

Post by TigWiz »

I voted Nighthawk. One of the nicest pistols you'll ever find.
Rob
Elite Member

Post by Rob »

Yeah if I decide to do 10mm I will likely not worry about suppressing it.

Rob
Baboon
Silent But Deadly

Post by Baboon »

Snake-eater 1 wrote:You left off Les Baer. Several of my friends have purchased a Baer in the last several years, none have been disappointed.
I bought a Les Baer SRP the only thing that sucks about it was the wait time in having it built. A buddy of mine who always sucked at pistol shooting bought a Baer TRS after shooting my SRP. His pistol shooting has improved with a little coaching from me.
Cry 'Havoc,' and let slip the dogs of war;
That this foul deed shall smell above the earth
With carrion men, groaning for burial.
diablito
Silent But Deadly

Post by diablito »

ThePatriot wrote:Springfield TRP?
not in the same league...
ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThePatriot »

diablito wrote:
Explain. I don't know much about 1911s. Is it the quality of parts, lower numbers manufactured, custom specs, checkering. I haven't heard of anyone with a TRP that didn't love it. It seems like guys get caught up in high end, high priced 1911s and buy based on names. I could be wrong but I doubt that high end Springfields are any worse than the guns in the poll.
"With a girl, there's a lot left in the girl's body without a head. Of course, the personality is gone."

-Edmund Kemper
TigWiz
Silent But Deadly

Post by TigWiz »

A Honda and a BMW will both get you from point A to point B reliably (good mechanical parts), but the BMW just has a higher level of refinement and high quality components built in. A Springfield 1911 is a great gun, but a Nighthawk or similar just have a higher level of refinement and higher quality components on the inside.

A plus whenever you purchase a 1911 from a custom shop is the customer service. The fact that we have a member or two from Nighthawk on this very forum, is enough to swing my vote in their direction. If a problem ever came up, they would most certainly take care of it right away.
DoctorSolo
Silent But Deadly

Post by DoctorSolo »

ThePatriot wrote:
diablito wrote:
Explain. I don't know much about 1911s. Is it the quality of parts, lower numbers manufactured, custom specs, checkering. I haven't heard of anyone with a TRP that didn't love it. It seems like guys get caught up in high end, high priced 1911s and buy based on names. I could be wrong but I doubt that high end Springfields are any worse than the guns in the poll.
A TRP is not a high end Springfield. Look up the Springfield Pro...now yer talkin'!

The high end guns have an attention to materials and fitting that are just not possible in a 1K gun these days.
ThePatriot
Silent But Deadly

Post by ThePatriot »

Thanks guys. I just thought I would ask. I just looked up the professional and it is pretty sweet. I see what you're saying about attention detail and overall quality of a complete gun. Pardon my ignorance, I guess my years of being a Glock freak have led me to not pay much attention to high end handguns out of my price range and too pretty to beat up. When I think about it I could have answered my own question by asking myself a question. If I could own any 1911 what would it be? Answer: Nighthawk Enforcer or Predator.

-Edmund Kemper
Rob
Elite Member

Post by Rob »

Does anyone know whether or not Nighthawk will build me an Enforcer in 10mm? I may call them in the morning.

Rob
Poacher
Elite Industry Professional

Post by Poacher »

I am pretty sure I can get some one there to build you an Enforcer in 10mm :wink:

That would be a power house!
"The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary."-- Vince Lombardi

Director of Training & Special Initiatives
Nighthawk Custom
[email protected]
877-268-4867
diablito
Silent But Deadly

Post by diablito »

Poacher wrote:I am pretty sure I can get some one there to build you an Enforcer in 10mm :wink:

That would be a power house!
I alwasy love when peoples thoughts can turn into realities... separates talkers from doers... lets see if it get made! Hope so, it'll be sweet!
FB3
Silent But Deadly

Post by FB3 »

I have owned several Wilsons, Browns, Pros, and one Baer. The Baer is the only one that I would never buy again. Brand new TRS with terrible fit on grip safety- cut the daylights out of the web of my thumb, front sight problem, and just obscenely tight. Metal on metal hard binding on barrel bushing when trying to remove. Baer actually thinks this is good. It is not necessary for accuracy. He just doesn't spend the time necessary to properly fit the pistols and wants the buyer to "break it in for about 1000 rounds" and finish the work that should have been accomplished during manufacturing.

Horrible customer service. However, this was about six years ago, but I will never ever deal with them again.

Don't have any experience with Nighthawk, but they seem to have a good reputation.

My favorite is the Wilson. They just fit my hand and shoot so well for me.

Any full size 1911 is a little difficult to conceal, even with a Milt Sparks VM2 holster. I just never dress appropriately for IWB carry.

Don't think that you can go wrong with any of your choices, and yes, I feel that they are worth the cost. Once you get one you will understand.
USMC0351
Silent But Deadly

Post by USMC0351 »

DoctorSolo wrote:
ThePatriot wrote:
diablito wrote: not in the same league...
A TRP is not a high end Springfield. Look up the Springfield Pro...now yer talkin'!

The high end guns have an attention to materials and fitting that are just not possible in a 1K gun these days.
The TRP may not be the highest cost Springfield or 1911, but I am of the opinion that it is just as high end in function as many others you consider out of its league. I only wish my Les Baer was finished as nice, cycled as smoothly, and was fitted as well as the 2001-vintage TRP I had up until recently. The only drawback I saw to the TRP was the locking MSH and the word "Tactical" billboarded on the side. I've shot the issued Pro model Springfields and not seen any functional improvement over the standard TRP to justify double the cost. The Springfield custom shop is one of the best anywhere, in my opinion, but the Pro just isn't all that much different from the TRP, but that was only limited by the specs in the request for proposal.

Springfield TRP:

Baer Super-Tac:
Rob
Elite Member

Post by Rob »

I carried a full-size 1911 for about five years IWB under clothes as light as a teeshirt. I'm not huge, but I'm not small either.

I think that I have decided on the Nighthawk, but now the dilemma is 10mm or .45 and rail or no rail.

I have .45 ammo and I am setup to reload it. I could reload 10mm too but I have never had one. I have however, always been fascinated with 10mm. Any thoughts?

Rob
USMC0351
Silent But Deadly

Post by USMC0351 »

The 10mm is a neat cartridge. I would not hesitate to rely on it for self defense. I load my 10mm with 180gr. Hornady XTP JHPs. However, for self defense, I see no benefit to the 10mm over the .40, and think the .40's shorter case is bound to be a little easier to clear the ejection port. It may not matter, but that's the only thing I could think of differently. Granted, you can load the 10mm up to .41 Mag levels (hunting rather than the police load), but that's a lot for self-defense, whereas the .40 provides the same ballistics at the defense level and is much more readily available. I have always had a thing for the 10mm, but I find it at home best with my hunting Glock, at least for now. As I'm sure you already own .45 1911s, might as well go for it with the 10mm. If you're going to carry it, I'd go without the rail.
Rob
Elite Member

Post by Rob »

I have always managed to talk myself out of a 10mm every time I think about them. I primarily shoot .45 and .40 but I can't help but think that maybe a 10mm would get some more grins at the range. On the other hand, I don't have a .45 can, and an Enforcer with a TiRant would be a sweet setup.

Decisions decisions.

Rob
BWT
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWT »

I wanted to ask what you'll be using it for, is a magwell a necessity, but honestly, the Enforcer looks the best to me.

It looks like everything a fighting pistol should be.

With the Magazine well integrated into the frame, you don't see an increase in Overall Height from what I can tell.

I know I want one :lol: .

I'd go with .45 ACP, I don't think you're going to see an appreciable difference by going to 10mm. I mean energy is what it is. But I haven't seen in the material I've looked at anything to suggest to me, for what I want (12-14'' penetration with maximum expansion) that a 10mm will do better than a .45 ACP.

That being said, I dropped by the Night Hawk booth at the Silencer Shoot, they were more than accommodating, and I'd only consider the Ti-Rant for this project, especially after the MSRP reduction to what it is now.

They let me dry fire one of their pistols, I was impressed, extremely impressed with the quality.

I didn't want to look too long, it's hard enough visiting their website.

I don't know about the light rail, I'd mention it to Night Hawk once you get the caliber figured out, they're a pretty innovative bunch, they might have some proprietary part or be aware of something that might be able to accomodate you.

I personally don't want a light or rail on a carry gun, and it looks like what you want. If I was a police officer and could carry it in a holster at 3 o'clock, this would be a different discussion.
TOPO-sniper
Silent Operator

Post by TOPO-sniper »

I like everything I have ever seen about Nighthawk, but, it does not look like they undercut the trigger guard and just a personal preference I like this done. I got the SF and really like it, so much I sold my Yost 1* as I never shot it again after getting the EB. I'd like to shoot a NH sometime to feel the difference, will fill the "void" between my EB government and Robar Officer sometime and considering NH.
Rob
Elite Member

Post by Rob »

I'm sold on an Enforcer, and I am pretty sure that it will come in .45 and with a threaded barrel. Now I just need to be home long enough to get everything lined up. I may sell a P7M8 that I never shoot to help fund it.

Rob