Semi auto 22lr rifle host with threads out of box?

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Nuclear
Silent Operator

Semi auto 22lr rifle host with threads out of box?

Post by Nuclear »

So I want to buy a semi-auto 22lr rifle that is properly threaded right out of the box. I do NOT want a 10/22. So what are the recommendations?
ick
Silent But Deadly

Re: Semi auto 22lr rifle host with threads out of box?

Post by ick »

Nuclear wrote:So I want to buy a semi-auto 22lr rifle that is properly threaded right out of the box. I do NOT want a 10/22. So what are the recommendations?
Colt, M&P, GSG5 all requre a relatively simple thread adapter. I think you might be out of luck if you are looking for "out of the box" 1/2 x28 threads.
-----
Ick
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

I'm not trying to be a dick, but why is the 10/22 off your list? You can build those into just about any form-factor, they're cheap, and notoriously reliable.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
GBI96
Silent But Deadly

Post by GBI96 »

Spike's Tactical ST-22 dedicated upper works awesome. It is made from a mil-spec receiver so all standard AR accessories will work on it and it comes with a 1/2 x 28 threaded barrel. You just need your own lower or they will sell a fully assymbled rifle as well.
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

Cz makes .22's with threaded barrels but iirc they are 1/2 x 20 so you'd need an adaptor.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
Diomed
Silent But Deadly

Post by Diomed »

I'd love to know why this isn't common. Do manufacturers really not see a demand?
Hush wrote:Cz makes .22's with threaded barrels but iirc they are 1/2 x 20 so you'd need an adaptor.
Does CZ make semiauto .22s?
Ron of Va
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ron of Va »

The CZ512 is a rimfire, but no threaded barrel, and I don't think it has been released yet.

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/cz-512/
kalikraven
Elite Member

Post by kalikraven »

Sig Sauer 522
Going a little more discrete here due to some of my opinions...
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

Sig 522LR (SWAT):

Nuclear
Silent Operator

Post by Nuclear »

Selectedmarksman wrote:I'm not trying to be a dick, but why is the 10/22 off your list? You can build those into just about any form-factor, they're cheap, and notoriously reliable.
A number of reasons. First off, I've had Rugers (not 10/22s) in the past, and the triggers were universally bad. Second, when I last owned one, you could not get parts from Ruger to save your life. Third, their political actions in the past (although they have been better since the old man died). Fourth, I understand that Ruger has gone more and more to cheaper parts on the 10/22. Lastly, I don't want to screw around with another project gun. I want one I can buy, clean, lube, attach the suppressor, load and fire. If Ruger has a 10/22 that fits that description (and the trigger doesn't suck), I'll buy it.
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

All solid points, Nuclear. I recently built up a 10/22. I bought a cheap new one, was disgusted with the crappy parts (replaced the important ones with aftermarket), and just mentally blocked Bill Ruger's politics. Of course, it's my only 10/22 and I think everyone should have one simply because of the plentiful parts availability.

I wish the GSG-5's were 1/2x28 from the factory.
I've got Honey Badger Fever.
*Add this to your sig if you've got the fever, too!
jbsf3

Post by jbsf3 »

How about a Smith & Wesson MP-15 22LR, 1/2 x28 threads right out of the box.
cyclesarge
Silent But Deadly

Post by cyclesarge »

jbsf3 wrote:How about a Smith & Wesson MP-15 22LR, 1/2 x28 threads right out of the box.
This is what I was going to suggest. BTW, I hate adaptors, 2 out of the 3 that I bought were "off", not bad enough to cause a baffle strike but enough that I wasn't comfortable in using them more than a few rounds before buying another one. Every barrel I've bought (threaded in the proper pitch) has been perfect, this includes 3 Tactical Solutions, Storm Lake barrel, ER Shaw, a used Tornado Tech threaded .22lr rifle, and even my Masterpiece Mini Mac measures out near perfect. I don't know if I've just been unlucky with adaptors or if they just aren't to be trusted, I know I won't buy another barrel or gun that needs to be adapted.
Doc
Silent Operator

Post by Doc »

I would second the S&W 15-22, but I would also suggest checking out a Ruger SR-22. It is essentially a 10/22 in an AR's clothing. It has a Mini-14 flash suppressor on a 1/2x28 threaded barrel, so it's can-ready from the get-go. As far as the trigger, I never minded my 10/22 as much, but when I took a roll of the dice on the SR-22, I was pleasantly surprised at how light it was in comparison to the 10/22.

The S&W has a polymer body, the Ruger has metal. The operates like an AR, the Ruger like a 10/22. One of the big reasons why I went towards the Ruger was the metal construction and the fact that I already had 10/22 mags (which are cheap anyway). Of course, I would've had to wait on a threaded 15-22, since not all models are threaded.
David Hineline
Silent But Deadly

Post by David Hineline »

NFA shooters blow their load with only one pull of the trigger.
Flipz
Silent But Deadly

Post by Flipz »

My vote goes to the Sig 522, I love mine.