Sig p226 slides not locking back after the last round.

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Queso Grande
Silent But Deadly

Sig p226 slides not locking back after the last round.

Post by Queso Grande »

Any ideas one what might be going on here. I bought it used and its not newish. I streached the mag springs because they felt loose but that didn't help. If i just pull the slide back it locks. Any ideas?
Sometimes your the pigeon and sometimes your the statue.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Re: Sig p226 slides not locking back after the last round.

Post by 66427vette »

what ammo you shooting? reloads?
mk23
Silent But Deadly

Post by mk23 »

usually weak ammo
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

If I bought a used gun that didn't lock back, I'd assume that it was shot enough to cause spring fatigue.
I'd hit up wolff springs, pick up a recoil spring and a couple of +10% mag springs.
I'd also probably pick up a few new magazines (MECGAR or Sig) and for sig stuff, I usually order from Top Gun Supply.
If they had a spring kit or something, I'd probably just get that. I think they sell a refresh kit with all the springs and such.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig_p226-9mm_parts-kit.html

15rd mag spring:
http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-magazin ... _p226.html

http://www.topgunsupply.com/mec-gar_p22 ... t-afc.html
http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig_p226-9m ... azine.html
Queso Grande
Silent But Deadly

Post by Queso Grande »

chrismartin wrote:If I bought a used gun that didn't lock back, I'd assume that it was shot enough to cause spring fatigue.
I'd hit up wolff springs, pick up a recoil spring and a couple of +10% mag springs.
I'd also probably pick up a few new magazines (MECGAR or Sig) and for sig stuff, I usually order from Top Gun Supply.
If they had a spring kit or something, I'd probably just get that. I think they sell a refresh kit with all the springs and such.

http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig_p226-9mm_parts-kit.html

15rd mag spring:
http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig-magazin ... _p226.html

http://www.topgunsupply.com/mec-gar_p22 ... t-afc.html
http://www.topgunsupply.com/sig_p226-9m ... azine.html

Thanks I will try that, others asked about the ammo. I used factory load.
mk23
Silent But Deadly

Post by mk23 »

What factory loads?

Winchester White box for example is very underpowered
Queso Grande
Silent But Deadly

Post by Queso Grande »

mk23 wrote:What factory loads?

Winchester White box for example is very underpowered
It was Wincherster ? grain and Federals 115 grain all FMJ. Is unperdictalbe. Replacing the springs sounds like a good idea, do they come with some instruction?
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

The recoil spring is the easiest obviously and you've already taken apart the magazines.

The other springs can range from easy to hard. There should be full tare down instructions on SigForum.com and other places on the web. I would concentrate on the slide stop lever spring and trigger return spring (trigger bar spring).

Found this on youtube. It's a P228, but they are pretty much the same

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH5KUP9qoaw&sns=em

I don't know if I would even bother with the hammer/spring/sear/ejector or the magazine catch stuff.
Queso Grande
Silent But Deadly

Post by Queso Grande »

chrismartin wrote:The recoil spring is the easiest obviously and you've already taken apart the magazines.

The other springs can range from easy to hard. There should be full tare down instructions on SigForum.com and other places on the web. I would concentrate on the slide stop lever spring and trigger return spring (trigger bar spring).

Found this on youtube. It's a P228, but they are pretty much the same

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NH5KUP9qoaw&sns=em

I don't know if I would even bother with the hammer/spring/sear/ejector or the magazine catch stuff.
That was a great video. What gets me Is its unpredictability. I can't recreate it. I am going to start with basic changes before I gut it for sure.
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

Well, I'd start with some new magazines (or new mag springs at least). You'd be surprised at the inconsistency that a bad magazine will create.
GBI96
Silent But Deadly

Post by GBI96 »

One other thing to make sure of before you go and spend any money. If you are an experienced Sig shooter, then disregard, if not read on.

When I grip most semi-auto handguns, I typically use my "1911 grip" where I have my thumb riding on top of the safety. I tend to put my thumbs in the same position when I shoot other handguns as well. When I first started shooting Sig 226's/229's the slide would never lock back. I realized I was resting my thumb on the slide release; therefore, the problem was me and not the gun.

Just something to check if you have not shot Sig's before. I have never had this problem with any other manufacturer due to the slide releases being more forward.
Queso Grande
Silent But Deadly

Post by Queso Grande »

GBI96 wrote:One other thing to make sure of before you go and spend any money. If you are an experienced Sig shooter, then disregard, if not read on.

When I grip most semi-auto handguns, I typically use my "1911 grip" where I have my thumb riding on top of the safety. I tend to put my thumbs in the same position when I shoot other handguns as well. When I first started shooting Sig 226's/229's the slide would never lock back. I realized I was resting my thumb on the slide release; therefore, the problem was me and not the gun.

Just something to check if you have not shot Sig's before. I have never had this problem with any other manufacturer due to the slide releases being more forward.
This is my first sig and I did notice that, its a great thought. I have been trying not to touch that slide release at all. I am not sure I have been 100% successful.
Beretta Steel
Silent But Deadly

Post by Beretta Steel »

Mine will not lock back with blazer brass, Fiochi blue box (sp?) works well as do my reloads. Even ones I load to the min usually lock back. good Springs and good quality ammo are your answers.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

If it's not the ammo it's your thumb, have a buddy watch to see if it's riding the slide lock.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Queso Grande
Silent But Deadly

Post by Queso Grande »

I changes the Mag springs and that did the trick. I got bought Sig 20 round mag and now that one jams FTF on the last round only. I looks to me the the Mag follower is shaped different than the other 15 round ones.

The 20 is an actual Sig Mag. The p226 is an older one, has Sig Change the followers for newer ones.
fstbk65
Silent But Deadly

Post by fstbk65 »

I have the same problem with a brand new S4. Others shot it and it locks back though. I'm betting it's my high thumb hold from all the 1911 shooting I've done is the problem but haven't been able to test it yet. Hard to break old habits and muscle memory... I have the same problem with Glock 17's but not any other Glocks so I don't think it's the grip on those. This is my first Sig BTW.
Queso Grande
Silent But Deadly

Post by Queso Grande »

Now the silly thing wants to jam up after about 60 rounds. I bought the 100 round white box everything went well for a while but about the last few mags the shell would hang going up the ramp.

The 9mm round is real vertical going up the ramp, is polishing the answer to this problem. Just looking at it the barrel and the front chassis ( locking insert) are not as smooth as they could be. Any suggestions?
Queso Grande
Silent But Deadly

Post by Queso Grande »

Anybody?

On an other thread, the knowledge cup runs over, Any ideas here
mk23
Silent But Deadly

Post by mk23 »

The 100 round pack of winchester white box is pretty much the worst 9mm out there

Underpowered, dirty, etc...

I would trouble shoot with better ammo.
MD3C
Silent Operator

Post by MD3C »

My Sigs are '92-98 vintage, and I have never had any negative issues with them.
P226
P220
P228 X2
P239
P232 X2
USE OF DEADLY FORCE AUTHORIZED
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

I have 2 P-226's one old all German mfg ans a new S4, both will stay back on the last round with both factory and MEC 18 round mags.

Some lube is needed on the rails .. If you are shooting it dry add some oil. That might help.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
Queso Grande
Silent But Deadly

Post by Queso Grande »

I feel like have tried all the stuff it know how.

1. Change mag spring
2. Use three different kinds of ammo
3. Keep my thumb off the slide release

My biggest problem is FTF . The round is almost vertical ( nose up ) when the slide catches it.

What do you guys think about sending it to Sig, worth the money or not?
GBI96
Silent But Deadly

Post by GBI96 »

Man I have been shooting Sigs for a very long time and I have never had the issue that you are describing. Here are a couple of other things to think about:

1. Is it a factory barrel? If it is not, was the feed ramp machined to the proper angle?
2. Are your 15rd mags working correctly? When people use extended mags they sometimes let their
hands get on the front of what is hanging out and there is enough play in the mag well to
change the angle of the mag; therefore, causing malfunctions. I have seen this with extended
mags in Glocks and Sigs.
3. Light recoil/cycling could still be an issue. Has anyone put a heavier recoil spring in the pistol?
There is no need to have a heavy recoil spring in a Sig unless you are going to shoot a lot of +P or
+P+ rounds.
4. Try a few mags of quality HP rounds. They recoil more strongly and are usually held to a little
better quality control standards. Personally, mine eat everything I put in them, but I have also
never put anything but factory weight springs back in them.

That is all I have for you. I am really curious on the recoil spring though because that could be causing your slide to not lock back due to short stroking the slide and a short stroke can cause other malfunctions as well.

I hope this helps. Try the guys at Sigforum.com if this doesn't do it for you.
Queso Grande
Silent But Deadly

Post by Queso Grande »

GBI96 wrote:Man I have been shooting Sigs for a very long time and I have never had the issue that you are describing. Here are a couple of other things to think about:

1. Is it a factory barrel? If it is not, was the feed ramp machined to the proper angle?
2. Are your 15rd mags working correctly? When people use extended mags they sometimes let their
hands get on the front of what is hanging out and there is enough play in the mag well to
change the angle of the mag; therefore, causing malfunctions. I have seen this with extended
mags in Glocks and Sigs.
3. Light recoil/cycling could still be an issue. Has anyone put a heavier recoil spring in the pistol?
There is no need to have a heavy recoil spring in a Sig unless you are going to shoot a lot of +P or
+P+ rounds.
4. Try a few mags of quality HP rounds. They recoil more strongly and are usually held to a little
better quality control standards. Personally, mine eat everything I put in them, but I have also
never put anything but factory weight springs back in them.

That is all I have for you. I am really curious on the recoil spring though because that could be causing your slide to not lock back due to short stroking the slide and a short stroke can cause other malfunctions as well.

I hope this helps. Try the guys at Sigforum.com if this doesn't do it for you.

1. Factory Barrel yes numbers matching
2. 15rd mags same issue
3. looks like the factory to me, twisted wire look?
4. I will try that.

Go you think this would be covered under the warranty. It not new its a 2000 I think.
GBI96
Silent But Deadly

Post by GBI96 »

The appearance of the spring will be the same with the braided wire. There is usually a little coloring on the spring like green, orange, etc.that will indicate the pounds the spring is rated for. Plus, Wolf's springs are braided too and they make extra power springs. There is no telling what a previous owner may have done.

As far as warranty, I would say it isn't, but they will work on it for a charge.