So, I need a silencer host...

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

CKxx

So, I need a silencer host...

Post by CKxx »

I'd like to pick up a USP 9 for my Trident. I ended up on the USP because I don't like striker-fired (staple) guns, and I liked the way it shot for the 50rnds I got to use one. My other option is a Beretta 92, but I think I like the USP more despite the need for a LCD.

Anyway, the point of this post is that I'm not too familiar with the USP line and I am wondering if I should get a USP 9SD or a regular USP 9, then purchase a threaded barrel and tall night sights. I like the stock USP 9SD save for the fact that they skimped out on a set of night sights. (At nearly $1000 retail you'd think they could have thrown that in.) Would it be better to get a stock USP and swap the barrel and sights, or a USP 9SD and swap the sights?

Is there anything else I am overlooking? Any general advice is appreciated.
chase
Silent But Deadly

Re: So, I need a silencer host...

Post by chase »

I bought an HK factory Tactical barrel and O-rings from Midway for my stock USP40 and put Meprolight tall adjustable night sights and have never looked back. My gunsmith worked the front of the slide a bit to keep it from shaving O-rings (a concern you will NOT have with the 9mm) but it has worked flawlessly. Here is your barrel:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=528972
(Sorry - out of stock!)

and sights:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?p ... ber=539234

Enjoy!
Chase

suppressortools.com
CKxx

Post by CKxx »

Awesome info. That seems like a better plan since id spend roughly the same amount and end up with better sights.

Could you elaborate about this o ring?
chase
Silent But Deadly

Post by chase »

Sure. The 40 and 45 Tactical and Expert USPs have a circumferential groove at the front of the barrel with a green high-temperature O-ring in it that engages the slide at the front, improving lock-up tolerance while wiping away debris that would otherwise jam it if it were a high-tolerance metal bushing. The 9mm versions (SD in lieu of 9mm Tactical, of course) do not have it.
Chase

suppressortools.com
<Mach1
Silent But Deadly

Post by <Mach1 »

Something else to keep in mind it the 9SD has a match trigger which is quite different than a standard USP.
Before you commit to converting a standard try a tactical just to feel trigger pull & sear break. Any cal tac has a match trigger except the compact (.45).

Personally I have all the USP's in all cal's & I've gone to lem's w/Heine sights for the tacticals, even the ct after some effort. Truly deluxe w/cans
chase
Silent But Deadly

Post by chase »

Oh, yeah. I forgot about the trigger.
Chase

suppressortools.com