barrel length for sbr .22lr upper

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

rsm688
Silent But Deadly

barrel length for sbr .22lr upper

Post by rsm688 »

As the title says, I am going to build a SBR .22LR upper to use with my Kodiak TL once the paperwork goes through. Anyways, does anyone have a short barrel (like 4.5") that runs good with all ammo and a can. I want a really short barrel so I can use bulk ammo and keep it subsonic but have not seen much information on how well they run with short barrels and a can.

-spencer-
rsm688
Silent But Deadly

Re: barrel length for sbr .22lr upper

Post by rsm688 »

sorry wrong rimfire section, mods please move this to the rifle rimfire section :mrgreen:
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

rsm688 wrote:As the title says, I am going to build a SBR .22LR upper to use with my Kodiak TL once the paperwork goes through. Anyways, does anyone have a short barrel (like 4.5") that runs good with all ammo and a can. I want a really short barrel so I can use bulk ammo and keep it subsonic but have not seen much information on how well they run with short barrels and a can.

-spencer-

I did a 3.5" barrel and its perfect, everything stays subsonic and its accurate to 100 yards, about 1.5MOA.

-B
jaredr
Silent But Deadly

Post by jaredr »

Bendersquint wrote: I did a 3.5" barrel and its perfect, everything stays subsonic and its accurate to 100 yards, about 1.5MOA.
-B
sounds very nice - can you advise who put it together for you? keen to hear any details you can share on construction (guessing it takes BDM-type .22lr magazines)?
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

I have built a few 3" - 4" barreld uppers and they need alot of fine tuning to
get the to cycle good as a 4.5" to 5" needs very little if any when shooting with a can
and most hi velocity ammo stays subsonic too.
4.5 to 5" is best for a dedicated AR 22 :wink:
ask me how I know
srt-4_uk
Silent But Deadly

Post by srt-4_uk »

redtazdog built my 4.5" upper and it is GREAT. I put an upper together for much less than what CMMG or Spikes wanted for theirs.
BWPerdue
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWPerdue »

I have two 10/22 SBRs with factory barrles cut to 4 inches and they both run fine.
redtazdog
Elite Member

Post by redtazdog »

BWPerdue wrote:I have two 10/22 SBRs with factory barrles cut to 4 inches and they both run fine.
AR 22 kits are diferent and need a longer barrel to make more blowback power to cycle unless you do
some hammer and recoil spring tuning.
BWPerdue
Silent But Deadly

Post by BWPerdue »

You're right. This was a reading comprehension fail on my part. I missed where he said "upper" in the original post.