Running w/ CCW

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

JacksonBrowne
Silent But Deadly

Running w/ CCW

Post by JacksonBrowne »

I'm thinking that a P7-sized gun in a 5.11 shirt or something around the chest is ideal. For those of you who run, do you carry while running? What is your favorite setup?
07/02 SOT
continuity
Elite Member

Re: Running w/ CCW

Post by continuity »

IMHO, a good post. Age old question. I've found anything that restricts my breathing (around upper body) sucks bad. Shoulder holsters... forget I brought them up. Ankle holsters seem to become like the pea under the princesses mattress and end up either working themselves loose or moving around my ankle and the holster wearing a slice of the top of my foot raw. The fanny pack in the front was tolerable, but tends to bounce.

When and if the real life hated exercise thing includes running outside, I've been wearing a deep conceal belt type thing that lets my PPK rest inside the front of my shorts. (I go no round in the chamber).

Going with the ultimate answer being an elliptical or running machine. Just set your heat on the fish tank. :lol:

(Waiting for productive answers.)
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
US Ranger

Post by US Ranger »

Several years ago I T&E'ed a chest pouch for running that worked pretty good if you wanted to carry something larger than a pocket pistol. It was basically a gun fanny pack on a chest harness. I used the front of the pouch to carry an ipod. I have a friend up in Alaska that uses it on her runs to carry a full size m1911 45.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand upon. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them.
GoJohnnyGo
Silent But Deadly

Post by GoJohnnyGo »

US Ranger wrote:Several years ago I T&E'ed a chest pouch for running that worked pretty good if you wanted to carry something larger than a pocket pistol. It was basically a gun fanny pack on a chest harness. I used the front of the pouch to carry an ipod. I have a friend up in Alaska that uses it on her runs to carry a full size m1911 45.
This sounds pretty good. Do you have any further info on the pouch?
47_MasoN_47
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 47_MasoN_47 »

I have yet to find a real good solution for CC while running or biking. The best solution I've been able to find for running is a Kel Tec P3AT/P32 with the belt clip attached clipped to the front of the shorts IWB. I'm trying to build a holster that I can mount to the bike frame to hold my PPS in. I generally carry it in my under-seat pouch but you can't really get to it easily, so it's more for when I stop somewhere than while actually riding.
Check out my YouTube channel below!
http://www.youtube.com/user/47MasoN47
Stu
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stu »

I carry a Smith M&P 40c in an Uncle Mike's OWB holster. I usually run at night when it is not too hot to wear pants. Well in the summer it still is. Let's start over.

I haven't run in a while, and not I'm fat. When I have actually run later, it has been cool enough at night that I can wear a pair of light pants with belt loops. In that case, I just wear my OWB holster with a strap that snaps around the grip, and have whatever shirt I'm wearing hang down over it. I have my CCW, and Open Carry is legal where I live, so I don't care too much if it shows, but I still prefer that it doesn't. Running when it is dark always helps with that.

For the summer months, when it is too hot to wear anything but the lightest shorts, I have more trouble. None of my shorts have belt loops so I'll actually probably just sew some on next year. I've tried to wear a 5.11 belt with the OWB holster under my shorts. This helps conceal, but since the belt is just around my waist with no loops, it is really only good for a steady jog. Start sprinting or doing speed play, fartleks, or any kind of Plyometrics, and you'll soon have a gun hullohooping around your stomach.

If you aren't going to have belt loops, I'd say the lightest gun possible is idea. I like the idea of a chest rig, expect the part where I have to run around with a lunch box strapped to my chest. That would easily be the most secure though.

Since you mentioned that you'll be wearing 5.11 pants, then I don't see an issue with just wearing any type of nylon holster. It should be nylon because leather will hold the moisture of your sweat in and rust your gun. My Smith has rusted twice now, and not from running.
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

Great thread.

I've been wrestling with this for a while. I live in a low crime area, but jogging is a place where you are more likely to meet some jackasses pitbull out for his run. Just this week I encountered one but it was in front of it's house and the owner called it back before I maced it.

I haven't found a good solution yet and have been carrying just pepper spray. Not nearly enough.

One thing I've thought about but not yet tried is some sort of wrist band with a P32 in it. That would be light and wouldn't bounce around, but it would lack the punch needed for a serious attacker like a dog or a pissed off jackass who's dog just got shot. I'd really like to go at least 38spl.

Keeping an eye on this thread. For sure.
40G27
Senior Silent Operator

Post by 40G27 »

JacksonBrowne wrote:For those of you who run, do you carry while running? What is your favorite setup?
Ask an illegal Mexican, they do this all the time, except they don't have the CCW permit.
US Ranger

Post by US Ranger »

GoJohnnyGo wrote:
US Ranger wrote:Several years ago I T&E'ed a chest pouch for running that worked pretty good if you wanted to carry something larger than a pocket pistol. It was basically a gun fanny pack on a chest harness. I used the front of the pouch to carry an ipod. I have a friend up in Alaska that uses it on her runs to carry a full size m1911 45.
This sounds pretty good. Do you have any further info on the pouch?
It was a prototype made by Eagle Industries in Fenton MO. Not sure if it ever made it to production. I can take some pics if anyone is interested.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand upon. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them.
Stu
Silent But Deadly

Post by Stu »

Instead of the wrist strap, maybe on your bicep or something.

You don't have to be an illegal to carry a gun without a CCW. That's just dumb.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Now that I've thought about it, since I run with Chuck Norris, I don't need a gun. :mrgreen:
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
LavaRed
Silent But Deadly

Post by LavaRed »

continuity wrote:Now that I've thought about it, since I run with Chuck Norris, I don't need a gun. :mrgreen:
Are you serious? :shock:
"There are no stupid questions, only stupid people". -MAJ MALFUNCTION
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

LavaRed wrote:
continuity wrote:Now that I've thought about it, since I run with Chuck Norris, I don't need a gun. :mrgreen:
Are you serious? :shock:

Can't be serious. Chuck Norris doesn't run. From anything.
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

Maybe?

http://www.survivalsheath.com/holsters/index.htm

Other than that, I'd probably find a suitable fanny pack. I'd be afraid they would all bounce around too much.
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

Stu wrote:Instead of the wrist strap, maybe on your bicep or something.
That's probably good thinking. They make arm bands for running with walkmans. (OK, I know, walkman is an outdated word. Whatever) Thats probably a good place to carry something with minimal bounce since the arm's movement would tend to absorb the shock. It is also discreet since people are accustomed to seeing runners with their tunes on the arm, they would have to look more closely that people generally look to notice any print.

I'll look around at those sorts of rigs designed to carry other stuff and see what I can adapt to carrying the weight of a handgun.

That's the big factor as I see it. The whole proposition of a good running CCW rig has to be based on carrying a light weight weapon. Kel Tec or similar pistols, airweight wheel guns, baby glocks. Stuff like that. A big steel 1911 with a double stack frame is probably not the place to start.
GlocksInMySocks
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlocksInMySocks »

chrismartin wrote:Maybe?

http://www.survivalsheath.com/holsters/index.htm

Other than that, I'd probably find a suitable fanny pack. I'd be afraid they would all bounce around too much.

definitely not this. After mile 2 or 3 i'd want to throw this in a ditch.
Don't be an internet tough guy...
Neogumby

Post by Neogumby »

I would reccomend something like this: http://www.rei.com/product/778453/rei-lode-waistpack

It's relatively cheap, looks like a run of the mill running pack (the maxpedition "concealed" packs aren't fooling anyone). If you're worried about the trigger, I suggest a cheap nylon holster with rubber on the outside so it comes off when you pull the weapon or that one trigger cover from Raven. Even if you got the fancy Raven, you'd only pay a total of $40, which isn't bad for a holster, especially since a pack like that would be able to conceal even larger handguns.
sha-ul
Senior Silent Operator

Post by sha-ul »

what about running with a smart carry holster?
www.smartcarry.com
jandbj
Silent But Deadly

Post by jandbj »

http://www.thewilderness.com/storepinna ... t=145&pg=1

Wilderness safepacker either as a chest rig or fanny pack.
Slingblade
Silent Operator

Post by Slingblade »

Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

Hill People Gear:

http://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabi ... fault.aspx

I fabricated a tiny Kydex 'holster' to cover just the trigger guard. The 'holster' is attached to a short piece of gutted 550 cord secured to the inside of the pouch. Most pistols will easily fit inside the pouch and require no conventional holster or other retention.

1.) Open pack, 2.) grasp pistol, 3. pull and trigger guard 'holster' pops off. Easy as pie.

This also works well with a pack of any kind, when attached in front to the shoulder straps.
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
jlwilliams
Silent But Deadly

Post by jlwilliams »

That would be completely invisible under the reflector vest I wear running. I don't think that the vest would slow down access much either.
JacksonBrowne
Silent But Deadly

Post by JacksonBrowne »

I just ordered one. What size pistol do you carry running and how does it feel?
07/02 SOT
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

Mostly I run with a Glock 19 plus spare mag and light - I know they are in there, but not a big deal.

When I take a Scandium J-Frame - I forget I even have a gun with me.
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I tried a G19 a few times with my regular Comp-Tac IWB holster. It is on the heavy side, and I got some abrasion on my hip.

I have a Tactical Taylor MOLLE chest harness with a Maxpedition pouch on it, and that is pretty good.

I am about to try this - it is an LCP in a http://www.grandfatheroak.com/Stockdesigns.html in a http://leaf.arcteryx.com/Product.aspx?E ... Naga-Hoody