1911 threade bull barrel

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

jnitti1014
Senior Silent Operator

1911 threade bull barrel

Post by jnitti1014 »

Where can I get one for an officer sized 1911?
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Re: 1911 threade bull barrel

Post by rockman96 »

Not sure if they're in stock, but I'm pretty sure Jarvis offers them.
flilow06

Post by flilow06 »

Have you looked into whether this will cause any issues?

I'm thinking about threading/suppressing my commander size 1911 with a nowlin ramped bull barrel, but read conflicting info as to whether this is a good idea or not..
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

I'm a storm lake fan. My 1911 barrel has been great.
I would not go bull barrel again. Just adds weight where it's not needed.
jnitti1014
Senior Silent Operator

Post by jnitti1014 »

Got my Jarvis barrel, had to take some metal off the bottom to get the slide to go all the way back. Might have to take some more off, get a lighter spring, or both to get it to cycle with the can on. It's cycling enough to cock the hammer back but not eject the round. It doesn't help that the barrel sticks out of the muzzle almost an inch, with half of it being threaded.

Any ideas? I'll try to post a pic.

ETA: btw the can (tirant 45) seemed loud to me, it seems much quieter on my glock 30 and glock 21sf
rockman96
Silent But Deadly

Post by rockman96 »

jnitti1014 wrote:Got my Jarvis barrel, had to take some metal off the bottom to get the slide to go all the way back. Might have to take some more off, get a lighter spring, or both to get it to cycle with the can on. It's cycling enough to cock the hammer back but not eject the round. It doesn't help that the barrel sticks out of the muzzle almost an inch, with half of it being threaded.

Any ideas? I'll try to post a pic.

ETA: btw the can (tirant 45) seemed loud to me, it seems much quieter on my glock 30 and glock 21sf
If it's cycling without the can, then put several hundred rounds through it with no suppressor before you go getting crazy with removing metal. If things are tight enough to make it stop functioning with the can on, it needs to break in a bit. Use plenty of CLP in the process, and make sure the LID is clean and oiled too.
silverbulletexpress
Silent But Deadly

Post by silverbulletexpress »

Officers ACP's come with a bull barrel although they do have a small thin bushing from the factory to avoid the Detonics patent. Replacement OACP barrels can be bought that do away with that fragile bushing and I highly recommend going that way.

Actually the shorter 1911 versions at least in 45 make more sense for suppressor use because they have more slide speed than they need to start with. This is why they have such heavy recoil springs even the Commander has a much heavier spring than the Govt. I suspect a OACP wouldn't even need a booster.

Besides the vendors mentioned Schueman also makes a fine barrel but a Storm Lake would be the most economical if offered in the configuration you need. KKM also make fine barrels. A bull barrel is ideal because a std 1911 barrel is thin and so you can only use very fine threads.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks." --Thomas Jefferson, letter to Peter Carr, 1785
russrex

Post by russrex »

Hey jnitti1014,

I just ordered a threaded bull barrel for a 1911 Kimber Eclipse from Jarvis. Haven't been able to reach him by phone so could you clue me in on how long it took to get it? Posting a pic or two would also be awesome if you have time.

Thanks
_r