Do you carry at work?

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Bargsbeer
Silent But Deadly

Do you carry at work?

Post by Bargsbeer »

Curious to see who else carries at work?
I used the evil Quicken Will maker..... And my form 4 was approved
Greg Kulbick
Silent But Deadly

Re: Do you carry at work?

Post by Greg Kulbick »

Even though I'm employed by the same state that was kind enough to grant me the supreme privilege of carrying a firearm to defend myself after paying to take a class and paying their fee, I can not do so at work.
www.renegade-armament.com
01 FFL/03 SOT
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

Yes, in fact you cand find it laying on my desk if I take the whole holster off for some reason.
-----
Ick
Bargsbeer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bargsbeer »

ick wrote:Yes, in fact you cand find it laying on my desk if I take the whole holster off for some reason.

I take you own your company?...
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

lol, yep. VERY pro-2nd policy here. I am in a position to encourage my customers on the issue as well.

I make a concerted effort to take first-time shooters to the range a few times a year.

I am up to:
1 insurance company employee
2 friendly competitor colleagues of mine
8 clients
5 family members
9 or 10 "friends" of family members.

Thus far it has only been with positive results.
-----
Ick
Bargsbeer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bargsbeer »

ick wrote:lol, yep. VERY pro-2nd policy here. I am in a position to encourage my customers on the issue as well.

I make a concerted effort to take first-time shooters to the range a few times a year.

I am up to:
1 insurance company employee
2 friendly competitor colleagues of mine
8 clients
5 family members
9 or 10 "friends" of family members.

Thus far it has only been with positive results.

That's great. Especially with the first-time shooters. Probably helps wipe away any pre-conceived notions,They have about firearms.
308reloader

Post by 308reloader »

Hey guys, new here but I thought I'd post in this topic since it struck me as interesting.

I too carry at work. I work in a machine shop and I keep it in a holster on my hip. The only other guy in the shop is the owner. He carries as well. I told him that I carry, but on my first day I didn't have it on. We got to talking about it and he wanted to see my pistol. I showed him my S&W M&P .45 I had retrieved from my truck. The first thing he said to me was, "It doesn't do you any good in the truck, does it?!" I took that as a hint and strapped it on. He hasn't objected at all!!
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Yes, I open carry at work... wait, never mind. :lol:
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
Dweezil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dweezil »

I work at a hospital...so no.
"I'm from the government...I'm here to help."
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

Dweezil wrote:I work at a hospital...so no.
I find that hospitals like airports are often located in high crime areas.

I'm 100% telecommuter. So I carry at work. If for some reason, I go into an office (or any company property) I do not carry.

Per company policy, we are not allowed to carry (which includes glove-box carry) on company property. Our Alaska employees who work in the field are allowed to carry though (for personal protection.) What a crock. As if polar bear attacks are more likely than robbery+murder.
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
Bargsbeer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Bargsbeer »

Libertarian_Geek wrote:

I'm 100% telecommuter. So I carry at work. If for some reason, I go into an office (or any company property) I do not carry.

Per company policy, we are not allowed to carry (which includes glove-box carry) on company property. Our Alaska employees who work in the field are allowed to carry though (for personal protection.) What a crock. As if polar bear attacks are more likely than robbery+murder.

I get what you mean. But I go with the mindset what my boss doesn't know won't hurt him mentality.
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Bargsbeer wrote:
Libertarian_Geek wrote:

I get what you mean. But I go with the mindset what my boss doesn't know won't hurt him mentality.
Company policy is that when parking your car on company policy, you implicitly agree to random searches.
Dweezil
Silent But Deadly

Post by Dweezil »

I work at a Federal facility (VA hospital) so getting busted carrying illegally would get ugly quickly. Our biggest threat is from some of our more fucked up patients with PTSD. Every year or so we get someone blowing their brains out in the hospital. About 4 years ago we had a patient walk into the patient restroom in our waiting area and shoot himself. I was in an exam room seeing a patient about 50 yards away when it happened. It happens. So far, the violence is usually self inflicted. Lets hope that doesn't change. In our current political climate, a Federal employee using deadly force to protect himself against an angry vet would ignite a massive political shitstorm. I don't even want to think of the implications. Best to be nice, polite, helpful, learn to de-escalate. Leave your ego at home.
"I'm from the government...I'm here to help."
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

Dweezil wrote:... Every year or so we get someone blowing their brains out in the hospital....
I'm sorry for you bro. Hope the immediate responders get some sorta debrief, psych counseling option. Cherios on the wall can be some hard stuff to get your head around. No pun intended.
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

For those in Alabama...

Employee Protection Bills Introduced in Alabama
http://nraila.org/legislation/state-leg ... s=&st=&ps=
tsands974
Silent But Deadly

Post by tsands974 »

All the time, thanks to a 2nd ammendment friendly boss.
sha-ul
Senior Silent Operator

Post by sha-ul »

Libertarian_Geek wrote:
Bargsbeer wrote:
Libertarian_Geek wrote: I find that hospitals like airports are often located in high crime areas.

Company policy is that when parking your car on company policy, you implicitly agree to random searches.
I wonder how that is going to shake out in Wisconsin.
http://godfreykahnlawblogs.com/2011/07/ ... carry-law/
WasDustyJacket
Silent But Deadly

Post by WasDustyJacket »

No, it is not allowed at work.

Unfortunately it appears we have some hourly employees in our production area that may not have their permits and are still carrying, even at work.

It leaves me in a tough spot.
Shoot softly, and carry a big clip.
The Good Doctor
Silent But Deadly

Post by The Good Doctor »

Every day.......all day, but I own my own business.
FFL/SOT
Metal Gear
[email protected]
www.metalgearllc.com
paco ramirez
Silent But Deadly

Post by paco ramirez »

Yup.
atilliar
Silent Operator

Post by atilliar »

Absolutely.
"What worries me is not the younger generation's rebelliousness in petty matters, but their tameness in great matters." Albert Jay Nock
M4-1000
Eco 9
Omega
SBR
Wicked
Silent But Deadly

Post by Wicked »

Yes. I'm self employed and carry is encouraged at my shop, if you're comfortable doing so.

I pay for your CHL class if you work for me and don't have your permit. We expense it under 'training.' :wink:
https://www.facebook.com/wickedweapons
ariwhiteboy
Silent Operator

Post by ariwhiteboy »

Hey Wicked...writing off a CCP class? Nice!

I carry at work without exception. I work in mental health at a private practice and when I was hired on I broached the issue with my boss. She was very supportive (carrying herself) and I have carried ever since. While that field puts you into contact with potentially dangerous people, I like the CC because we frequently are at the office until after dark and are located adjacent to some not so nice apartments. The gun is always in my desk (magnetic mount under drawer) or on my person. A few weeks ago I took eveyone in the office out to lunch with the catch that they had to come to the range with me and familiarize themselves with firearms safety and usage (wrote the cost off as "team building" :wink: ). Several were already shooters and they loved it, but a few were new to guns....they REALLY loved it. In fact one of our employees asked last week about me helping her select a first pistol for concealed carry! :D

It's very nice to have a work environment that supports my 2nd amendment right!
It is a very sad man who requires his opinions to be validated by those around him.

SWR Spectre II (Pending)
MV10
Silent But Deadly

Post by MV10 »

I always carry concealed, and on our sales lot we encourage open-carry. Lots of expensive inventory around, and our clients aren't the type to be put off by it.
Modern American political discourse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpAOwJvTOio
kalikraven
Elite Member

Post by kalikraven »

Ahh... Well I work for the USPS so no. But I'm s reserve deputy so sometimes if I drive my truck (Ride a Honda CBR) it stays in the truck.
Going a little more discrete here due to some of my opinions...