Sig predicament

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Gjboor89

Sig predicament

Post by Gjboor89 »

Im new to sigs. I want a .40 for home defense, but also would like to have a 9mm for range use and running suppressed. How well do the 9mm threaded conversion kits work? Are they realiable? Is it a good choice to choose the .40 and a conversion kit. Or just fork out the $ and get both cartridges
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Re: Sig predicament

Post by Bendersquint »

Gjboor89 wrote:Im new to sigs. I want a .40 for home defense, but also would like to have a 9mm for range use and running suppressed. How well do the 9mm threaded conversion kits work? Are they realiable? Is it a good choice to choose the .40 and a conversion kit. Or just fork out the $ and get both cartridges
You are good to go with the conversion kits.

I use 9mm for HD, no need to go bigger than that in my opinion. If you can't put an intruder down with a few 9mm then you shouldn't be using a gun for HD.
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

I agree with Bendersquint.

I have a sig P229 in .40. I have a barsto conversion barrel to shoot 9mm. Actually I have two of them. One threaded and one not threaded.

I have had nothing but problems with the factory 40 barrel that shipped with it. A ton of failure to ejects. I have replaced all the ejection parts with no help.
The conversion barrel, on the other hand has been 100% perfect (both of them). So, to answer your question, conversion barrels can be perfectly reliable.

I don't like .40 at all. I am very inconsistent with it, just all over the target. With 9mm (and also with .357sig) I am very consistent and perfectly hey with my groups.

Modern 9mm hollow points are great. Winchester Ranger, Honady critical defense (and critical duty) gold dots, etc. all great for home and personal defense.

So, again, I'm with bendersquint and say, go 9mm. I don't really see the need to go .40 at all.

I've packed the 40 barrel up and only bring it out if a friends wants to shoot a 40 for comparison.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

three barrels for my P229 ... 357Sig factory, 40S&W purchased at the same time as the gun back in '95 (factory I think) and 9mm threaded machined by BarSto to fit the 357/40 slide and they all function perfectly

I bought the P226 a few years ago in 9mm and picked up a 22lr conversion for it later, both function great the 22 conversion is a tight fit

had a P239 in 40S&W but didn't care for the feel and let it go

+1 on 9mm being plenty for HD plus it's generally quieter with most suppressors available
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Gjboor89

Post by Gjboor89 »

Thanks for the advice I think I'll go with the 9mm
eastern_hunter
Silent But Deadly

Post by eastern_hunter »

Between my military son and I we have SIGs in 22 LR, 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP. All shoot well.

Of the 220s, the 220 Compact can be a bit of a handful with hot loads like the 230 gr Win Ranger LE. Otherwise not bad at all.

The difference between the P226, 228 and 229s in 9mm is more how well your hand fits them than anything else.

The difference between a P229 in 9mm and 40 S&W is not bad. The 40 S&W having much more "umph" at both ends ... but the 40 is not difficult to control.

Would REALLY be something of a challenge to go wrong with a SIG.
Kramer
Silent But Deadly

Post by Kramer »

I just received a Bar Sto threaded 40 barrel for my P229, I will let you know how it functions shortly.