Glock 19 Guide Rod

Questions and answers, photos, videos, and discussion.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw

Sunburn

Glock 19 Guide Rod

Post by Sunburn »

A Liberty Mystic is on its way and I want to know if replacing the factory plastic guide rod with a stainless unit will assist with the extra weight of the can.
Also, any recommendations for threading a barrel for a Sig 2022?

I appreciate your input.
The best things in life aren't things
delta9mda
Silent But Deadly

Re: Glock 19 Guide Rod

Post by delta9mda »

I don't see how a metal rod would be diff than a plastic one. It's the spring that counts. Call Dave at liberty and ask him if the stock spring weight is fine.
NP
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

delta9mda wrote:I don't see how a metal rod would be diff than a plastic one. It's the spring that counts. Call Dave at liberty and ask him if the stock spring weight is fine.
They do make a difference, the plastic one flexes and looses tension. A metal one is rigid and keeps things moving properly.

I have changed out all my plastic guide rods with metal. In the Glock is improved reliability of cycling with my 9mm can.
eric10mm
Silent But Deadly

Post by eric10mm »

Bendersquint wrote:
delta9mda wrote:I don't see how a metal rod would be diff than a plastic one. It's the spring that counts. Call Dave at liberty and ask him if the stock spring weight is fine.
They do make a difference, the plastic one flexes and looses tension. A metal one is rigid and keeps things moving properly.

I have changed out all my plastic guide rods with metal. In the Glock is improved reliability of cycling with my 9mm can.
"Looses tension" in what way?

I have seen the retainer end popping off of the guide rod and making disassembly/reassembly more entertaining. I even know folks who continue to run such an uncaptured recoil spring assembly with zero issues. Some even change spring weights, again with zero issues. But I have never heard of the factory plastic guide rod itself breaking and letting the spring loose while in the pistol.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

eric10mm wrote:
Bendersquint wrote:

"Looses tension" in what way?

I have seen the retainer end popping off of the guide rod and making disassembly/reassembly more entertaining. I even know folks who continue to run such an uncaptured recoil spring assembly with zero issues. Some even change spring weights, again with zero issues. But I have never heard of the factory plastic guide rod itself breaking and letting the spring loose while in the pistol.
If the spring is moving in a straight line its alot better than moving in a wavy line. The more rigid and controlled the path is the better.

Mine wasn't the most reliable when I got mine(G19 Gen2) and I replaced the guide rod with a titanium one and immediately more reliable.

YMMV, but it worked for me, put back the plastic crap rod and it goes back to unreliable function.
Liberty Suppressors
Silent Operator

Post by Liberty Suppressors »

Sunburn wrote:A Liberty Mystic is on its way and I want to know if replacing the factory plastic guide rod with a stainless unit will assist with the extra weight of the can.
Also, any recommendations for threading a barrel for a Sig 2022?

I appreciate your input.
As far as we know the guide rod will have no affect on the suppressor.
Justin
Liberty Suppressors
"You have the right to remain SILENT"
www.Libertycans.net
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

I don't see how it would matter.

Also, Glocks don't need aftermarket improvements.
pneumagger
Silent But Deadly

Post by pneumagger »

silencertalk wrote:I don't see how it would matter.

Also, Glocks don't need aftermarket improvements.
I think that depends on the precise Glock. My daily carry is a G29 and I like to shoot full power 10mm. The factory 10m glock springs handle the typical factory 10mm fodder. If you want to shoot full spec 10mm and not batter your gun to death or see split brass and bulging, you really have to get heavier springs. Otherwise, I generally agree that mainstream glocks are best left as-is!

As far as a metal guide rod, I cant see how it would matter. The only lateral force you would see on a guide rod would come from the spring buckling force pressing against the side of the rod - so not very much.
I reject your truths and substitute my own realities