Braun vs Norelco shavers

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

silencertalk
Site Admin

Braun vs Norelco shavers

Post by silencertalk »

My newer 5 Series Braun is not as good as my older rotary Norelco (Bond style). Why?

Norelco shaves better.
Norelco batter lasts much longer (many times longer it seems).
Norelco is quieter.

Consumer Reports did not show a clear winner, but after owning both, the rotary is the winner.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Re: Brun vs Norelco shavers

Post by doubloon »

my beard is coarse, the slotted rotary heads seem to do a better job of gathering the whiskers for trimming for me. The braun cheese grater head leaves a lot of stuff behind on my face.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

I always liked the Norelco when I use to shave with an electric shaver.
Years back my wife gave me a Sears sportsman battery operated elec. shaver for a gift to use at camp, it had two rotary heads like the Norelco and gave a fine shave, I miss that shaver.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
Tyris
Silent But Deadly

Post by Tyris »

Hmm. I went the opposite way.

I dumped a norelco for a braun. The norelco would go dull in a few months (my facial hair apparently has the same consistency as sand paper). For some reason my Braun 7-series has been doing a kick ass job for 18+ months on the same foil and cutter (only changed once in the 3-4 years I've owned it). I am pleased. I found the braun easier to clean. I will not go back to a rotary.

-T
Mongo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mongo »

I am not very consistent as to the length of time between shaving (except when I am working, then every work day). But after a week end of beard growth the electrics just want to rip the hairs instead of cutting them so I stick with the old fashion disposable razors.
Firearms Engineer for hire on piece work basis.
No job is too expensive :)
http://weaponblueprints.com/
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

I've found what really helps when using an elec. shaver is Williams Pre-Shave lotion for elect. shavers, it really softens the beard for an easy, clean cut, no pinching or pulling shave.
Now I wear a beard, its nice not to bother with shaving but once in a while I like a change so its lather and a bic disposable for a while and then back to the beard, for some reason the wife likes me with the beard better and I won't argue with that plus she's got really good at trimming it.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
amatac
Silent But Deadly

Post by amatac »

My beard is too coarse to shave with an electric. It feels like getting a face wax. I stick to the Schick disposables and am like Mongo and just shave whenever.

Try and shave that with an electric. :mrgreen: No worries, that birds nest disappeared after hunting season.
There is no hunting like the hunting of man...
FFL/SOT
silencedamerica.com
jdj
Elite Member

Post by jdj »

I've recently gone to double edged safety razors (mercur progress) and shaving soap/brush. Takes a bit longer, but great shave, cheaper than disposables.
"I regard virginity as a correctible perversity of no interest" - Lazarus Long (Time Enough for Love), Robert A. Heinlein
silencertalk
Site Admin

Re: Braun vs Norelco shavers

Post by silencertalk »

Do Schick work now? I tried a BIC once, and once was enough.

Of course Gillette are good.

I cannot shave purely with an electric. I also use a Gillette something. I don't use shaving cream though - as I am not convinced it is any better than soft soap.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

silencertalk wrote:... I don't use shaving cream though - as I am not convinced it is any better than soft soap.
It's not.

I usually follow the electric shave with a light pass of a disposable to catch the stragglers that don't make it into the slots. But just dry, no soap, cream or water. All the pass with the electric does is reduce the number of nicks I get.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
tylermtech
Silent But Deadly

Post by tylermtech »

I like the 5 blade fusion. the blades are expensive, but they seem to pull the hairs less, especially if I go a few days between shaves. (which I often do because I hate to shave) I haven't tried and electric for a few years, I may have to give one a try again.
JohnInNH
Elite Member

Post by JohnInNH »

Rotary...

New blades once a year.. but I don't always remember and than it takes 4x longer to hack the beard.

I shave 2x a day.. A touch up with a real blade is needed once a week at a minimum.

Shaving after a shower makes it work better.. Also you have to remove the heads once a week and clean them.. I get dust or some other crap in there and it blocks the cutters from working at 100%.

New blades after a shower= closer shave than a blade IMHO. Dull blades not so much so. Well worth keeping the blades replaced 1x a year.

Note to self.. get 2 sets ASAP.
Long distance, the next best thing to being there!
TonyT
Silent But Deadly

Post by TonyT »

I have always had severe razor burn, tried everything. Using safety razors, expensive razors in the shower with soap, etc. I tried norelco rotary for a while, and it make me miserable. A friend talked me into popping 150$ for a braun, and I havent looked back. I still get a little burn, but nothing like before!
Don't redistribute my wealth, redistribute my work ethic!
Blaubart
Silent But Deadly

Post by Blaubart »

amatac wrote:Try and shave that with an electric. :mrgreen:
Easy. Just gotta use the right tool for the job:

It doesn't really matter how manly of a beard you have, once it gets past 1/4 of an inch or so, electric razors are useless and you need to use clippers.

I find Braun shavers to be FAR superior to Norelco, for shaving my beard. I'm not saying Braun is better than Norelco, or that foil cutters are better than rotaries. But for me, and how my hair grows, the difference is night and day. Then again, I only used a Norelco rotary one time. It simply did not work. It was as if hardly any of my hairs were making it inside to the cutters, and the ones that did, were getting pulled out.
"And by the way, if you're gonna take up a hobby of letter writing, you might want to learn how to spell "writing" you stupid F--k." - Nighthawk re kwikrnu
Hatanenei

Post by Hatanenei »

Just my two cents...

I have used a Braun like this https://www.mistershaver.com/top-5-brau ... rs-review/ for a lot of years, and really like it. The models have changed since then, so I can't give advice on the new models.

Just don't buy this type of product at Wal-Mart. Some manufacturers have special production lines set up for items to be sold only at Wal-Mart. While the product may look the same on the outside, it may have inferior components inside. Sometimes the model number as shown on the package will be the same as what is sold at other stores except for a letter following the model number.