What to expect from any upcoming ban

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

bakerjw
Elite Member

What to expect from any upcoming ban

Post by bakerjw »

Since corn row Joe is in charge of things now, what can we expect from the upcoming discussions and the ban talks that are coming thanks to Senator Fineswine.

Outright ban on semiautomatic rifles - Highly unlikely
Required registration of firearms - Very unlikely
Federal licensing of gun owners - Very unlikely
Outright ban on large capacity magazines - Possible
Limiting manufacture and sale of new large capacity magazines - Probable
Closing the gun show loophole - Highly probable
Tightening background checks - Highly probable
New penalties for not having firearms secured - Very probable
Greater emphasis on integrating mental illness records to NICS - Very probable

One thing is, if they close the gun show loophole, it can only stop face to face sales between people that are known to each other if registration is involved. If I sell my best friend a rifle that I've had for years, who will know that it has changed possession if there are no records of my having had it to begin with. Personally though, I am very annoyed at walking out of a gun show with a new firearm and being regularly asked how much I want for it by shady characters that stand outside.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Re: What to expect from any upcoming ban

Post by doubloon »

bakerjw wrote:...
Stop that.

A mental health check on the buyer would not have prevented Sandy Hook. To "prevent" Sandy Hook what you're really talking about here is a check on the members of the household and immediate family of the gun owner. Additionally you'd be talking about keeping records and removing guns from the households of persons recently assessed as "unstable". You've owned guns all your life but now you have a 8 year old who gets put on medication for Asperger's so you have to turn in all your guns.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

Just thinking out loud about "what if" scenarios.
MV10
Silent But Deadly

Post by MV10 »

doubloon wrote:You've owned guns all your life but now you have a 8 year old who gets put on medication for Asperger's so you have to turn in all your guns.
Imagine that day when you realize your family doctor is an in-the-closet anti-gun activist.
Modern American political discourse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpAOwJvTOio
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

If we want to allow for transfer in the future - should we put guns into trusts? Then we can change the beneficiary?

TrustA - 3 AR15s, 3 Glocks.
TrustB - 3 AR15s, 3 Glocks.
TrustC - 3 AR15s, 3 Glocks.

Then I could keep them for my kids?
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

bakerjw wrote: Greater emphasis on integrating mental illness records to NICS - Very probable.
Nope. HIPAA.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
jupiterdraft
Silent But Deadly

Post by jupiterdraft »

Unfortunately, I fully see "assault weapons" and hi-cap taking the hit here.

These decisions will be made emotionally - no rational thought will change that mindset. Like never before, the phrase "for the children" will champion the effort.

Also keep in mind that Obama isn't running again and has nothing to loose. Besides, we were already expecting him to make a move and Sandy Hook gives him all the traction he needs.
The gene pool needs a shock treatment!

Diapers & Politicians...
700PSS
Elite Member

Post by 700PSS »

Now be a lamb and turn in your guns. You're...not against...the children...are you?

BTW: Since so many guns have now been deemed "assault weapons" can anyone define "non-assault weapons"?
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

poikilotrm wrote:
bakerjw wrote: Greater emphasis on integrating mental illness records to NICS - Very probable.
Nope. HIPAA.
Well ... there could be some wiggle room in there.

http://www.hhs.gov
... the Privacy Rule is balanced so that it permits the disclosure of personal health information needed for patient care and other important purposes.
The Privacy Rule, a Federal law, gives you rights over your health information and sets rules and limits on who can look at and receive your health information. The Privacy Rule applies to all forms of individuals' protected health information, whether electronic, written, or oral. The Security Rule, a Federal law that protects health information in electronic form, requires entities covered by HIPAA to ensure that electronic protected health information is secure.
Who Must Follow These Laws

Health Plans

Most Health Care Providers

Health Care Clearinghouses
Who Is Not Required to Follow These Laws
Many organizations that have health information about you do not have to follow these laws.

Examples of organizations that do not have to follow the Privacy and Security Rules include:

life insurers,
employers,
workers compensation carriers,
many schools and school districts,
many state agencies like child protective service agencies,
many law enforcement agencies,
many municipal offices.
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

700PSS wrote:Now be a lamb and turn in your guns. You're...not against...the children...are you?

BTW: Since so many guns have now been deemed "assault weapons" can anyone define "non-assault weapons"?
Here this is the newly announced home defense weapon approved by Congress, you get one for ever assault weapon that is turned in, no 2A rights effected this way, just turning in an evil one for a not evil one.

morpheus
Silent But Deadly

Post by morpheus »

Contact your representatives. We need to tell them we will not tolerate more gun legislation. PERIOD!

http://www.usa.gov/Contact/Elected.shtml[url][/url]
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

This guy is on TV - he said he was in the military and the M16 is not for self defense, it is for annihilation. And then he said one does not need that for defense - as his father is a Sikh and used a knife for defense. But his father is dead - because he brought a knife to a gun fight. How does that support his point that one does not need an AR for defense?
silencertalk
Site Admin

Post by silencertalk »

Outright ban on semiautomatic rifles - Highly unlikely
Required registration of firearms - Very unlikely
Federal licensing of gun owners - Very unlikely
Outright ban on large capacity magazines - Possible
Limiting manufacture and sale of new large capacity magazines - Probable
Closing the gun show loophole - Highly probable
Tightening background checks - Highly probable
New penalties for not having firearms secured - Very probable
First - Dianne Feinstein said her ban wording will only ban the sale/transfer and not possession of existing. So no "outright bans" are being floated.

And also - people keep on saying on TV that there is not one law that would have prevented this. There is - the mother should have had her guns in a safe. If I lived with that kid, I would have my kitchen knives locked up too.

Here is my take from how much it will bug me:

Required registration of firearms - since we have this in my state, this would hardly bug me at all.
Federal licensing of gun owners - would not bug me at all.
Closing the gun show loophole - makes no difference to me if there are background checks on all gun purchases.
Tightening background checks - don't care.
New penalties for not having firearms secured - we have this in our state, and I would do it anyway.
Greater emphasis on integrating mental illness records to NICS - seems ok with me, but I can tell you - if they do have this, and I end up having mental issues, I am not going to get treatment - or I will and pay cash so there is no record.

----- insert line in sand here ------

Ban on all new semiautomatic rifles - Intolerable - I would freak out - and it will never happen.
Ban on new black guns - Intolerable - I would freak out - and it may happen, but I would say a 40% chance.
Ban on new large capacity magazines - Intolerable - I would freak out.
Limiting manufacture and sale of new large capacity magazines - almost intolerable.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

The "Gun Show Loophole" isnt about gun shows. Its about stopping ALL private sales without NICS checks. To be honest I don't have a problem with that. Its unenforceable and quixotic but as long as no other restrictions are in place I just don't see how there is a problem with requiring anyone who buys a gun to pass a background check.
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

I agree with that. Like I said, it's amazing the number of times that I walk out of a gun show and have people asking how much I want for the gun that I just purchased. Either they can't pass the background check or can't afford admission. Methinks it's the first one.
MV10
Silent But Deadly

Post by MV10 »

YugoRPK wrote:as long as no other restrictions are in place I just don't see how there is a problem with requiring anyone who buys a gun to pass a background check.
Many of my friends and I buy and sell guns to each other all the time. This sounds like a giant pain in the ass to me.

And like all such laws, does anybody really think "the bad guys" are going to give two shits about such a law?

Pointless.
Modern American political discourse: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpAOwJvTOio
jupiterdraft
Silent But Deadly

Post by jupiterdraft »

poikilotrm wrote:
Nope. HIPAA.

I've given this one some more thought and my conclusions are this. If they are willing to (attempt) change to the Constitutional right to bare arms, they would certainly be willing to alter HIPAA in order to meet their end goals...
The gene pool needs a shock treatment!

Diapers & Politicians...
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

jupiterdraft wrote:...
I've given this one some more thought and my conclusions are this. If they are willing to (attempt) change to the Constitutional right to bare arms, they would certainly be willing to alter HIPAA in order to meet their end goals...
Yes.

I don't see how you can expect rules put in place by an organization to protect you from changes coming from the same organization. Especially when the rules you're counting on are already riddled with loopholes.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

jupiterdraft wrote: I've given this one some more thought and my conclusions are this. If they are willing to (attempt) change to the Constitutional right to bare arms, they would certainly be willing to alter HIPAA in order to meet their end goals...
Yeah. True.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
continuity
Elite Member

Post by continuity »

poikilotrm wrote:
jupiterdraft wrote: I've given this one some more thought and my conclusions are this. If they are willing to (attempt) change to the Constitutional right to bare arms, they would certainly be willing to alter HIPAA in order to meet their end goals...
Yeah. True.
My SSNcN noted that Poik's becoming down right civilized relative recent posts. Regardless if it's the new meds, someone hacked his account, or what. Kinda refreshing. Starting to think it's safe to turn my back on him.

Poik, come over here and sit on unca continuity's lap. :lol: :lol: :lol:
What amount of a man is composed of his own collection of experiences... and the conclusions that those experiences have allowed him to "know" for certain as "Truth"? :Ick
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

continuity wrote: Poik, come over here and sit on unca continuity's lap. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bad touch! Bad touch!
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

continuity wrote:My SSNcN noted that Poik's becoming down right civilized relative recent posts. Regardless if it's the new meds, someone hacked his account, or what. Kinda refreshing. Starting to think it's safe to turn my back on him.
Crocodile tears of joy.
-----
Ick
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

ick wrote: Crocodile tears of joy.
I just washed my ass. Feel free to kiss it.
YugoRPK
Silent But Deadly

Post by YugoRPK »

MV10 wrote:
YugoRPK wrote:as long as no other restrictions are in place I just don't see how there is a problem with requiring anyone who buys a gun to pass a background check.
Many of my friends and I buy and sell guns to each other all the time. This sounds like a giant pain in the ass to me.

And like all such laws, does anybody really think "the bad guys" are going to give two shits about such a law?

Pointless.

Ive had friends that truly were friends and not simply acquaintances that I "thought" I knew only to find out later on they had some pretty hairy s--t in their background that I would have liked to know about had they asked to buy one of my guns. You don't know what you don't know.
Putting the laughter in manslaughter
snapshot
Senior Silent Operator

Post by snapshot »

The powers to be have taken note of the recent "shelf clearing", and will discuss this during their coming pow-wow. Without the working class to foot the bill for their growing number of dependant constituents, they are without a paddle. I firmly believe they will be drawing a fine line based on current hysteria and will NOT pass "extreme" legislation until 2014. I'd expect the mid-term elections to be that tipping point, not our current situation of national distress. What I do expect in the meantime is federal paramilitary build up, SCOTUS realignment, and further nationwide campaigning to precede a very calculated "resolution".
"And remember, the most dangerous thing in the world is still ignorance." - RYP