Diomed's body found

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

Snake-eater 1
Silent But Deadly

Diomed's body found

Post by Snake-eater 1 »

As many of you know, Diomed (real name Andy Holzgrefe) went missing in Arizona in December, 2012. He was last seen in Flagstaff and was believed to be driving down to Phoenix to catch a plane home to Virginia. His rental car was found by a hunter in late February. Well, sad news, his body was found in the area of the rental car yesterday. Cause of death is still to be determined by the Medical Examiner. Unfortunate loss to his family, community and his home gun club here in central Virginia. Via con Dios, Andy.
"Our drills are bloodless battles,
Our battles are bloody drills."
A saying of the Spartans
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Re: Diomed's body found

Post by chrismartin »

Damn, he will be missed.

Any links to the update? Where did you hear the info?
Snake-eater 1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Snake-eater 1 »

Sorry, no links yet. The Flagstaff law enforcement have kept Andy's mother advised, who has kept a club member advised. Info was posted at our club's member only forum. I'll advise this forum as I can.
A saying of the Spartans
Schulze
Silent But Deadly

Post by Schulze »

Damn
RWBlue
Silent But Deadly

Post by RWBlue »

As sad as it is that he is dead, I think missing was worse.

The family can do what they need to do now.
AND if it is fowl play, there is a chance...
D9M9TR9S
Silent But Deadly

Post by D9M9TR9S »

Wow... sorry to hear this news. R.I.P. Diomed
Libertarian_Geek
Silent But Deadly

Post by Libertarian_Geek »

Sad news indeed. RIP
https://www.facebook.com/DareDefendOurRights
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

I can imagine this is quite awful for his family and friends. RIP.
-----
Ick
chrismartin
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by chrismartin »

He will be missed...

Andy was huge into sharing his hobby. He seamed to get more joy from seeing others shoot his guns than he got from shooting them himself.
He always brought in tons of toys and even more ammo and seamed to feel bad if you DIDN'T shoot it all. He said "I'm don't want to drag the ammo back home, so you better shoot it up!"

Here are two videos of Diomed shooting with my son...

9mm vs. 22lr subgun...
RT - Mac 10 9mm vs. 22lr - YouTube

Evo 9 vs. Trident...
RT - Evo vs Trident - YouTube

Alec shooting some of Andys other guns...

Sterling:
Alec Sterling 9mm - YouTube
Check out Alec's smile at the end (You can just barely see it due to the camera, but it's ear to ear). That experience would not have been possible without meeting Andy on forums like this and his giving nature.

ETA: Will upload more in a bit.

ETA: Please note, the videos are still processing (I just uploaded them) they should show up in a few minutes.
Snake-eater 1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Snake-eater 1 »

A saying of the Spartans
Snake-eater 1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Snake-eater 1 »

A saying of the Spartans
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

That just seems weird. The Andy I have seen people describe doesn't seem to me like the kind of person who would wander into the desert and take his own life. Of course I only know him from posts on forums so maybe the people closer to him have a better insight into what was going on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulmen »

doubloon wrote:maybe the people closer to him have a better insight into what was going on.
Maybe, but usually even people close doesn't see these things coming.
CanNotHear
Silent But Deadly

Post by CanNotHear »

Wow... :cry: RIP Diomed...
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

As it has been said before this is not in Andy's character.

I doubt anything more will be said.
66427vette
Silent But Deadly

Post by 66427vette »

So what happened to antique guns? Are the missing or accounted for?
cmoore
Silent But Deadly

Post by cmoore »

Rest In Peace Diomed.
cmoore...

out...

"You get more with a kind word and a gun, than a kind word alone".-- Al Capone

"By the way, it's inches that I'm giving you..."- Roman
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

66427vette wrote:So what happened to antique guns? Are the missing or accounted for?
I'm kind of assuming since they were shipped there that they were shipped back as well. The article says a friend from Mesa helped him pack them so I'm thinking packed them in crates not packed them in the trunk. Just taking a guess really.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Bendersquint
Industry Professional

Post by Bendersquint »

doubloon wrote:
66427vette wrote:So what happened to antique guns? Are the missing or accounted for?
I'm kind of assuming since they were shipped there that they were shipped back as well. The article says a friend from Mesa helped him pack them so I'm thinking packed them in crates not packed them in the trunk. Just taking a guess really.
This is accurate.
TROOPER
Silent But Deadly

Post by TROOPER »

Bendersquint wrote:As it has been said before this is not in Andy's character.
Disagree.

That kind of hurting is kept on the inside. There are stigmas attached to people who seek help for this kind of thing, and liberty and reputation are harmed in pursuit of health. For a person who prizes reputation and liberty first and foremost, it won't be revealed. You don't see them - you only see what they project.

I say this with polite candor, not disrespect to you, Bendersquint... but this is a topic that is not understood by you.
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

Look at it this way. If you are having trouble with depression and you own the kinds and numbers of firearms that we typically own, would you go to the doctor for some antidepressants? They might help get you out of the dip that you are in, but there is a stigma attached to it and you never know what kinds of legislation might come in the future. Enhanced background checks might some day include a check of medications that one has been prescribed.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
ick
Silent But Deadly

Post by ick »

bakerjw wrote:Look at it this way. If you are having trouble with depression and you own the kinds and numbers of firearms that we typically own, would you go to the doctor for some antidepressants? They might help get you out of the dip that you are in, but there is a stigma attached to it and you never know what kinds of legislation might come in the future. Enhanced background checks might some day include a check of medications that one has been prescribed.
I know people in military service with this same problem. If you seek help it damages your career. If you don't seek help it all falls on you, and sadly most probably don't even seek support from their spouse.
-----
Ick
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulmen »

A very common problem, rules usually doesn't distinguish between something like a mild depression and serious mental illnesses. Fact is most will experience some mild depression in their life, and schizophrenics are more likely to be the victim of a crime than the perpetrator of one. You think you're sane and normal? s--t, most "normal" people are so full of issues, flaws, faults and perversions it's a wonder they function at all.

The depressed don't go around shooting people, and if we really don't want to live anymore we find a way and a quiet place to do it. An old friend of mine did it a few weeks ago, didn't take more than a shoelace. Another used the cars exhaust.

As for Diomed, I didn't know him, if I have communicated with him here I don't remember. All I can say is that I'm sorry you had to feel as bad as you did, and while I may not agree with your actions I do understand all to well. Some people will call it cowardliness, but how egotistical must one be to demand that others live through an unbearable agony to spare them a little bit of sorrow?

I take comfort in knowing that you are free from the pain that drove you to this, and mourn the tragedy of your suffering and demise.
Hush
Silent But Deadly

Post by Hush »

I'm sorry to read all this, I use to enjoy his posts. R.I.P. Diomed.
Snake-eater 1
Silent But Deadly

Post by Snake-eater 1 »

This will be my final post on this topic.
A tragic end to a fine young man.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Flagstaff Police Department

March 27, 2013

Update into Missing Virginia man, William A. Holzgrefe

On 02-14-13 the rental vehicle belonging to William A. Holzgrefe the missing Virginia man, was located by a hunter off of Forest Service road 108. The vehicle was about six miles south of I-40 off the Devil Dog Rd exit, an area south west of Williams, AZ. The Flagstaff Police Department worked in conjunction with the Coconino County Sheriff's Office to gather evidence from the vehicle. Members of the CCSO Search and Rescue conducted a search of the area but due to heavy ground cover by snow, William was not located. Due to environmental conditions the search was discontinued and scheduled to resume once snowmelt occurred to aid the search and discovery of clues. FPD investigators had learned from the National Weather Service in Belmont that between 30-38 inches of snow had fallen in the Williams area during the time that William was reported missing and when his vehicle was discovered.

On 03-16-13, a hunter located the remains of an adult male in the same general area where William's car was found. The body was within about 400 yards of where the vehicle was located back in February. The Coconino County Sheriff's Office conducted an investigation of the death with assistance of a FPD detective. There was strong evidence to believe the body was that of William A. Holzgrefe. The Medical Examiner's office worked on comparing dental records to confirm the identity of the remains as William "Andy" Holzgrefe.

On March 26, 2013 the Coconino County Medical Examiner's office informed the detective working the missing person case, that the remains found were in fact those of William "Andy Holzgrefe. The cause of death is being determined to be from a self inflicted gun shot wound. The investigation into William's disappearance and death will be closed due to the above information.
A saying of the Spartans