Got a piece of junk? Make a zip gun

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

Hush
Silent But Deadly

Got a piece of junk? Make a zip gun

Post by Hush »

Chicago again to offer gun-buyback program

GATEHOUSE NEWS SERVICE

Published Wednesday, July 18, 2007

CHICAGO — City officials again will use the carrot approach to reducing the number of guns in Chicago, by offering a $100 pre-paid gift card for each weapon turned in this weekend.

Mayor Richard Daley said no questions will be asked Saturday of people who visit one of 23 locations designated as drop-off sites. The surrendered handguns, shotguns and rifles they leave behind will be destroyed by police.

“One of the best crime-fighting strategies at our disposal is very simple — getting guns off our streets … and out of the hands of people who, unfortunately, would misuse them,” Daley said during a news conference at a Near North Side church.

Some 4,300 guns have been collected through the annual “Gun Turn-In” events, according to Vance Henry, director of the police department’s Chicago Community Policing Alternative Strategies. CAPS and religious leaders serve as sponsors, with corporate support.

Chicago prohibits residents from keeping handguns unless they were registered with police before 1983. Nonetheless, guns are involved in 80 percent of the city’s murders, Daley said. To date, there have been 225 homicides in Chicago, the police department said.

Proponents of the gun-amnesty program emphasized the toll that gun violence has taken on young people. So far this year, several Chicago students have perished in gang-related shootings.

“Every gun turned in is potentially another life saved,” said the Rev. Jesse Jackson, who joined Daley on Tuesday.

Drop-off sites will be open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday. For information about locations, call (312) 744-5000.
Demand stringent background and mental health checks on your politicians.
Silent But Deadly

Post by 3101 »

225 murders, kids perishing in drug shootings....gun control works, huh???
Mr. Burns: This anonymous clan of slack-jawed troglodytes has cost me the election, and yet if I were to have them killed, I would be the one to go to jail. That's democracy for you.
Smithers: You are noble and poetic in defeat, sir.
bonebreak2000
Silent But Deadly

Post by bonebreak2000 »

So far this year, several Chicago students have perished in gang-related shootings.
“Every gun turned in is potentially another life saved,” said the Rev. Jesse Jackson, who joined Daley on Tuesday.
So they are expecting gang members to turn in guns here?

“One of the best crime-fighting strategies at our disposal is very simple — getting guns off our streets … and out of the hands of people who, unfortunately, would misuse them,”
Again.... They expect people who intend to "misuse" guns to turn them in?
Selectedmarksman
Silencertalk Goon Squad

Post by Selectedmarksman »

I'll go you one better... remember all the fuss about the ATF declaring a shoe string a machine gun? Take a box full of shoe strings down to the Station and demand $100 each.
tikkafan
Silent Operator

Post by tikkafan »

I wonder how many they would take? I've seen rusted out antique Mosin Nagants going for about $10. That would be a sweet profit.
Suspicion Breeds Confidence
Russian
Silent But Deadly

Post by Russian »

It's only a matter of time before an enterprising FFL holder trades in huge quantities of Ravens and flips the gift cards for 90 cents on the dollar.
Ben B.
Silent But Deadly

Post by Ben B. »

Russian wrote:It's only a matter of time before an enterprising FFL holder trades in huge quantities of Ravens and flips the gift cards for 90 cents on the dollar.
Countless lives would be saved.

Why didn't they think of this in Capone's day?
mtk
Silent But Deadly

Post by mtk »

A few companies are selling non-functioning rifles for $7.99 each.

Sounds like a prime opportunity to order a dozen of them and make a fortune on the city. :wink:
Michael T. Kasimirsky
Finleyville, PA
corey
Senior Silent Operator

Post by corey »

Russian wrote:It's only a matter of time before an enterprising FFL holder trades in huge quantities of Ravens and flips the gift cards for 90 cents on the dollar.
Already been done. Several years ago in Sacramento, CA they did a buy back for $50 a gun. A pawn broker in the bay area loaded up every cheap POS gun he had taken in for $10-$20 over the last 15 years and drove out there and cleaned out all there funds for the buy back. Apparently they did not put a restriction on how many guns one person could turn in. :lol:

I still have an old beat up Ortgies .25 acp that is waiting for a buy back close to me. That is if I don't use it as a throw down gun first :shock:
GlockandRoll
Silent But Deadly

Post by GlockandRoll »

Tag for a beer to the 1st ST'er that turns in a POS for the cash!