"The Expanse" If you like SciFi

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

bakerjw
Elite Member

"The Expanse" If you like SciFi

Post by bakerjw »

I read a lot of SciFi. It's well known.
A few years back I started reading a book called "The Expanse". Last Fall I found that SyFy had produced a miniseries based on the book. Now I don't have cable or satellite. Anything we watch is streamed which is the way that things are going. If you make something that I will watch, I will buy it. Anyway, I am 6 episodes into season 1 and am not disappointed.
If you like Science Fiction, you might want to read the book before watching the show. If you have cable, they rerun the episodes regularly.
Just wanted to put it out here.
July 5th, 2016. The day that we moved from a soft tyranny to a hard tyranny.
mpallett
Elite Industry Professional

Re: "The Expanse" If you like SciFi

Post by mpallett »

bakerjw wrote:I read a lot of SciFi. It's well known.
A few years back I started reading a book called "The Expanse". Last Fall I found that SyFy had produced a miniseries based on the book. Now I don't have cable or satellite. Anything we watch is streamed which is the way that things are going. If you make something that I will watch, I will buy it. Anyway, I am 6 episodes into season 1 and am not disappointed.
If you like Science Fiction, you might want to read the book before watching the show. If you have cable, they rerun the episodes regularly.
Just wanted to put it out here.

So I've been watching it, I like it, it isn't one of my favorite shows though. I think I need to start over and pay better attention.
Over weight Telco guy with a FFL/07 for hire :)
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

Most of the characters are so-so. Except for Amos. the actor really hits the nail on the head with him. My opinion only though.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Is the book any good?

I've gone through pretty much all the "classics" in this genre, some more than once. I have a hard time identifying new things to read. A lot of the new "scifi" isn't as meaty as the old stuff.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
bakerjw
Elite Member

Post by bakerjw »

I've struggled to find anything worth a crap these days. Hugh Howey has written some damn good stuff and is very approachable. He has a group that meets every week at a coffee house and it is an open invitation. I sent him an e-mail complimenting him and he said to stop by if I was in town. Now, that is cool.

It's truly hard to find good SciFi these days when everyone with some lame ass story and little knowledge of grammar is putting out <stupid story name> Book 1 of the <stupid series name> saga books.

I almost live to read the samples of their crap writing only to put up a negative review. If you read the other reviews of reviewers of their work, you will find that few have any other reviews. This is the friends and family syndrome. Mikey spent 6 months writing a book and self published it and all of his friends and family read it (didn't really like it) but yet posted good reviews because Mikey deserves a break in life. then you go on to point out how Mikey's writing really sucks and is at a 6th grade level of writing and the hammers fall. I don't like getting piled on, but it is comical how people go after you to defend crap literature.

Yeah, a long diatribe now. Writing is like painting or composing. It IS an art form. I can take a canvas and put paint on it, but it is not art. True Authors are artists. The written word is not diminished because it is any less of an art form. In fact it is heightened because the artist, the author, must use your imagination to create the painting. THAT takes talent. Hugh Howey was self published and he was one in a thousand. James S. A. Corey wrote a damn fine series until the last one. My hero, Larry Niven has written masterpieces too. I own a first edition, first printing signed copy of Ringworld. I paid $90.00 for it because in the world of SciFi, it is a Picasso. Along with my uncle's Kabar knife that he carried up Suribachi, it is my prized possession because it was revolutionary.

<rant off>

Lots of good stuff. A whole lot of crap.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Post by doubloon »

Yes, Niven is one of the benchmarks. I don't mind series if they hang together and aren't just a soap opera script, I liked the series Donaldson wrote.

Next time I'm in a book store I'll take a look at Howey's shelf. Currently I'm down to periodicals and sodoku.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
Fulmen
Silent But Deadly

Post by Fulmen »

Thank you for the tip, it's not bad at all. The half-assed way they deal with low/zero-gravity is a bit annoying, but since most of the action takes place in those conditions it's hard to get around that problem without a massive FX-budget.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

I've seen the 1st 4 Episodes. It will need to pick up to keep my interest.

Right now I;m watching USA's Colony. Next I'll watch Mr Robot.
I'd like to finish TNT's The Last Ship. I'm current up through Season 1. Now for S-02.
And I'm looking forward to 12 Monkeys Season 2.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
Mongo
Silent But Deadly

Post by Mongo »

I have them on DVR. I have not watched them yet since I seem to have to get in the mood to watch TV which seems pretty rare for me these days. On top of that I have a good back log of scifi books I am reading with a bunch of new authors that I am enjoying.
Firearms Engineer for hire on piece work basis.
No job is too expensive :)
http://weaponblueprints.com/