This is my second one

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

This is my second one

Post by poikilotrm »

http://www.thedailysheeple.com/this-is- ... ple_072016

“This is My Second One”: Virginia Cop Caught Bragging About Killing Two Unarmed People

July 27, 2016
A former Virginia police officer and U.S. Navy veteran, whose trial for murder begins this week, told a witness, “this is my second one,” after killing an unarmed 18-year-old black man in April 2015.

While unclear whether or not the jarring statement amounted to a boast, the camera on ex-Portsmouth Officer Stephen Rankin’s Taser recorded him saying this to a Walmart employee mere seconds after he fatally shot unarmed teen and alleged shoplifter William Chapman in the store’s parking lot in April 2015.

Rankin had, indeed, killed another unarmed man, Kirill Denyakin — under circumstances similarly and sufficiently questionable to earn three years’ administrative leave — just four years prior to the shooting for which he now stands accused of first-degree murder.

During the final pretrial hearing on Tuesday, the Guardian reported, Rankin’s lead defense attorney, James Broccoletti, argued the former officer’s “statement is not probative of anything,” in an unsuccessful attempt to have it suppressed.

Prosecutors countered to Judge Johnny E. Morrison they should not have to “sanitize the evidence” surrounding the fatal shooting.

“The defendant made the comment, not just in the presence and earshot of a witness, but to the witness,” argued Commonwealth’s Attorney Stephanie N. Morales, who heads the case against Rankin.

Although Morrison had previously disallowed direct statements to jurors concerning Rankin’s fatal shooting of Denyakin, as the Guardian noted, it now appears the officer’s prior use of deadly force will play an albeit limited role in the prosecution’s case.

Troubling details about the killing of unarmed 26-year-old Kazakhstani cook, Kirill Denyakin, on April 23, 2011, would seem to suggest a glib tone in the officer’s later statement to the Walmart employee.

Rankin responded to a call about Denyakin drunkenly pounding on the door of a residence where he had been staying with friends. Alleging the cook reached for his waistband and then charged toward him, Rankin shot Denyakin 11 times in the chest and limbs, as The Free Thought Project reported. No weapons were recovered on Denyakin’s body or at the scene — but when the man’s family filed a $22 million civil suit against the officer, the situation took a dark turn.

Defending his use of deadly force, Rankin — who had chosen a photograph of a dead Serb who had been lynched by the Nazis in 1943 as his Facebook profile picture — took to a local newspaper’s website, posting roughly 250 comments derisively attacking Denyakin’s character and insulting his family’s attempt to seek compensation, writing:

“22 mil won’t buy your boy back … let alone a habitual drunk working as a hotel cook.”

Weeks prior to that deadly interaction, one of the officer’s supervisors cautioned senior commanders Rankin was “dangerous” and likely to harm someone. Further revelations included Facebook posts in which the cop referred to his firearms case as “Rankin’s box of vengeance.”

A grand jury refused to indict Rankin for the Denyakin’s killing — and though the department placed him on administrative leave for nearly three years, it took just over a year after his return to active duty for Rankin to fatally shoot Chapman under circumstances suspicious enough to now stand accused of murder.

On the morning of April 22, 2015, Portsmouth Walmart employees summoned police to report a shoplifter. Rankin responded and confronted 18-year-old Chapman in the store’s parking lot. Several witnesses reported seeing Rankin attempting to handcuff the teen, but their observations of what happened next differ to some degree.

Two construction workers said Chapman broke free from the officer, knocking his Taser to the ground; but, in speaking to separate reporters afterward, one described the man “whaling on” the officer, the other noted the pair’s subsequent interaction was a “tussle” in which the teen had not been close enough to physically strike Rankin.

In a report, pathologists noted Rankin would have been at least 30 inches away from Chapman when he was shot, and the medical examiner did not find gunpowder burns or residue suggestive of a point-blank or near point-blank shooting. No stolen items were listed among the victim’s personal effects.

Further, body cam footage recorded Rankin holding his Taser, but abruptly and perhaps conveniently, if not outright suspiciously, stopped for the 15 seconds surrounding the shooting — only to pick up after the deadly interaction, with the Taser on the ground.

Chapman’s family’s attorney, Jon Babineau, recounting what he was told for Pilot Online, said in December, “The video was operational up until just before the shooting, and then it was not operational for about 15 seconds,” though an unnamed source told him the gap had been caused by a “power source issue” and did not necessarily believe the tape had been edited.

In September 2015, a grand jury indicted Rankin for murder and the illegal use of a firearm.

Rankin has since been terminated from the Portsmouth force and continues to maintain his innocence.

Jury selection for the murder trial is slated to begin this morning.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
D9M9TR9S
Silent But Deadly

Re: This is my second one

Post by D9M9TR9S »

:twisted: Wow.. just wow. And he thinks he deserves to wear that badge.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Post by whiterussian1974 »

I didn't read the whole story. It seems that his words are taken out of context and misinterpreted.

"This is my second one." could mean "Oh my God! This is the 2nd time that I've been required to use Deadly Force on an unarmed member of my Community. This is horrible! I need Psych counseling b/f I eat my service pistol."

Maybe there's video that shows his facial expression and vocal tone/cadence. Those are vitally important to discerning his Intent behind his speech. Remember "My Cousin Vinnie" where the cop testifies "I shot him?" Yet in a monotone and without inflection, the ? b/c an admission of Guilt.
The Darkest Corners of Hell are reserved for those who remain Neutral!-Dante
The Death of One is a Tragedy, a million only a statistic.-Stalin
silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=135314
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

poikilotrm wrote:On the morning of April 22, 2015, Portsmouth Walmart employees summoned police to report a shoplifter. Rankin responded and confronted 18-year-old Chapman in the store’s parking lot. Several witnesses reported seeing Rankin attempting to handcuff the teen, but their observations of what happened next differ to some degree.

Two construction workers said Chapman broke free from the officer, knocking his Taser to the ground; but, in speaking to separate reporters afterward, one described the man “whaling on” the officer, the other noted the pair’s subsequent interaction was a “tussle” in which the teen had not been close enough to physically strike Rankin.

In a report, pathologists noted Rankin would have been at least 30 inches away from Chapman when he was shot, and the medical examiner did not find gunpowder burns or residue suggestive of a point-blank or near point-blank shooting. No stolen items were listed among the victim’s personal effects.

Further, body cam footage recorded Rankin holding his Taser, but abruptly and perhaps conveniently, if not outright suspiciously, stopped for the 15 seconds surrounding the shooting — only to pick up after the deadly interaction, with the Taser on the ground.

Chapman’s family’s attorney, Jon Babineau, recounting what he was told for Pilot Online, said in December, “The video was operational up until just before the shooting, and then it was not operational for about 15 seconds,” though an unnamed source told him the gap had been caused by a “power source issue” and did not necessarily believe the tape had been edited.
So he was called to the Crime Scene by the Victim (Walmart)? You mean that he didn't go stalking for a "Person of Color" to execute Assassin-style?

And the Eyewitnesses and Video Evidence corroborate his Sworn Affidavit? That SOB. How DARE he defend his Person. Doesn't he know that he forfeited his Right of Self Defense once he accepted funds from his Dept?

"Whale on" and "Tussle" sound extremely similar descriptions of the Event. Maybe there are even other Synonyms for being beaten by a Suspect. It's a good thing that there weren't more Eyewitnesses, they might have said "beaten, punched, kicked, hammered, pounded" and maybe some others. So these are contradictory Statements?

Even the Electricity conspired with the Ofr by "conveniently" being interrupted to prevent recording the UoF. Did it capture the Events leading up to the Discharge? Maybe him being attacked by Defendant during the Lawful Detainment of Same pursuant to Investigative Detention?

Could a blunt force impact have disrupted the power supply? Maybe the Suspect punching or kicking the unit? As the Neutral 3rd Party Eyewitnesses described?

Once the 1st handcuff went on, that would also "Justify Deadly Force in Performance of Duty" under TX Statutes. You can't resist once in Custody. He should have run b/f the cop got there. Afterward, he's Felon Fleeing.
http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/docs/PE/htm/PE.38.htm wrote:Sec. 38.04. EVADING ARREST OR DETENTION. (a) A person commits an offense if he intentionally flees from a person he knows is a peace officer or federal special investigator attempting lawfully to arrest or detain him.
(b) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor, except that the offense is:
(2) a felony of the third degree if:
(B) another suffers serious bodily injury as a direct result of an attempt by the officer from whom the actor is fleeing to apprehend the actor while the actor is in flight;
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Docs/PE/htm/PE.9.htm wrote:PENAL CODE
TITLE 2. GENERAL PRINCIPLES OF CRIMINAL RESPONSIBILITY
CHAPTER 9. JUSTIFICATION EXCLUDING CRIMINAL RESPONSIBILITY
Sec. 9.01. DEFINITIONS. In this chapter:
(1) "Custody" has the meaning assigned by Section 38.01.
(2) "Escape" has the meaning assigned by Section 38.01.
(3) "Deadly force" means force that is intended or known by the actor to cause, or in the manner of its use or intended use is capable of causing, death or serious bodily injury.

Sec. 9.21. PUBLIC DUTY. (a) Except as qualified by Subsections (b) and (c), conduct is justified if the actor reasonably believes the conduct is required or authorized by law, by the judgment or order of a competent court or other governmental tribunal, or in the execution of legal process.

Sec. 9.51. ARREST AND SEARCH. (a) A peace officer, or a person acting in a peace officer's presence and at his direction, is justified in using force against another when and to the degree the actor reasonably believes the force is immediately necessary to make or assist in making an arrest or search, or to prevent or assist in preventing escape after arrest, if:
(c) A peace officer is justified in using deadly force against another when and to the degree the peace officer reasonably believes the deadly force is immediately necessary to make an arrest, or to prevent escape after arrest,
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

We live I the future, whiterussian. Always speak and act as though there are cameras around, because there are. Play to the camera, especially after a lethal force incident.
The moments I was censored was the moment that I won. That's twice, now.Thanks jwbaker, et al, for my victories.
0101silent
Silent But Deadly

Post by 0101silent »

--
Last edited by 0101silent on Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

0101silent wrote:"On the morning of April 22, 2015, Portsmouth Walmart employees summoned police to report a shoplifter." ..... "No stolen items were listed among the victim’s personal effects."

I'm not a lawyer or law enforcement. What is the legal and practical difference between "Lawful Detainment" "Investigative Detention" and arrest?
An detention is an informal arrest due to reasonable suspicion while probable cause is assessed, would be the easiest way to understand it. No PC, you go along. A discovery of PC leads to an actual bona fide "take you into custody and the cuffs go on" arrest, then you are actually considered arrested.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

Poiki is 100% correct. Arrest means "taken before a Magistrate in the Venue where the Arrest was made."

Detention is a simple restriction of movement w/o Formal Arrest. It's a period in which to determine further steps.
D9M9TR9S
Silent But Deadly

Post by D9M9TR9S »

Use of deadly force on two unarmed victims, this cop is a POS that doesn't deserve a gun or a badge. Why shoot someone 11 times and he's unarmed? You can throw all the formalities and penal codes you like, but wtf man how can anyone even attempt to justify this guys actions on either case!? There's a reason he was fired, hopefully for good this time.
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

D9M9TR9S wrote:Use of deadly force on two unarmed victims, this cop is a POS that doesn't deserve a gun or a badge. Why shoot someone 11 times and he's unarmed? You can throw all the formalities and penal codes you like, but wtf man how can anyone even attempt to justify this guys actions on either case!? There's a reason he was fired, hopefully for good this time.
If someone came into your home, and was "unarmed" but was a 200# pugilist and began beating you to death w your 2 and 4yr old daughters cowering in their bedroom after seeing Daddy beaten bloody and senseless by a "victim" that forced his way into your house; would you be justified in unloading your magazine into your "victim?"

From what I read, he was completely Justified. Look at my History of Posts. I'm extremely critical of POS LEOs. This isn't 1 of them. He behaved correctly and the 1st POS "victim" was a Public Service shoot. USA and the World "may be" better off w.o him.

Why can't people behave responsibly and peaceably? The Grievance Project pimps teach children a skewed version of History in Public Schools. They are indoctrinated to hate the USA and anyone that either DOES or doesn't not look like them.

If BLM and Nation of Islam/Obama cared about Black Youth, Chicago would be placed under Martial Law and Door-to-Door Search and Seizure of Wanted Criminals including Org Crime Gangs and Child Murderers would be swept up in the Dragnet.

Look anywhere in the USA, aggressive Community/Police Partnerships drive down both Violent and Property Crime. They save lives by cooperating to clean the Neighborhoods of the Criminal Cowards that prey upon their own Families!
whiterussian1974
Silent But Deadly

D9M9TR9S wrote:Why shoot someone 11 times and he's unarmed.
Someone acting in accordance w Law to protect their Neighbors, doesn't have the Luxury of knowing precisely which bullet will Stop the Threat.

An Autopsy will show the Internal Disruption, but the Effects of Gunshots aren't immediately obvious. That's why we double-tap until the Threat is Stopped. That means hitting the Ground and no longer Resisting. That's the Key. All Resistance must cease.

Once the 1st bullet is Justified, every following bullet is Justified until he is down and not moving. The Issue is: Criminals/Suspects shouldn't resist Lawful Performance of Duty. You can litigate whether the Ofr was was justified in his actions later. But don't resist!

If he's Guilty, then the State and Agency must "make the Injured Parties Whole" or attempt to do so through Restitution, Damages, and Punitive Actions. The Ofr should go to Prison or Death Row if he's proven to be Wrong. But not UNTIL then.

When will people stop rushing to judgement w/o the Facts? The Media gets paid for misleading us. They attempt to inflame the emotions. Please don't fall for their Propaganda.
D9M9TR9S
Silent But Deadly

Post by D9M9TR9S »

Your IF statement has nothing whatsoever to do with the article. There is no threat that you speak of and if I'm a "trained" and qualified officer tasked to uphold the LAW, then I shouldn't be afraid of a 98lb or even 400lb man or child and can find another way of dealing with them rather than putting a bullet/bullets in their head. Maybe its just me, but it takes more than reading an article to say that a person is "justified" in taking the life of another human being.

Without any impunity or care for the dead and their family, people will bring up the VICTIMS background/record, I've never seen that done to the officers. Being a drunk doesn't deserve a death warrant, no one deserves that, even an asshole that is being "unruly". This problem with the police is not them against a certain race, its an American problem and until the cops have something to actually LOSE from acts like this, then they will continue to receive paid vacations on the people's dime.

How can you say that BLM (still don't know why people insists on making this more than what it actually is), NOI and the President do NOT care about the Black Youth in Chicago?? Have you or anyone like you asked? Have you been there? Attended a rally, funeral, or meeting where they are trying to fix and resolve these issues?? Crime is everywhere in America, but you do not put blame on certain groups or say that Black/Latino people do NOT care about their own as though you know their hearts and minds when you obviously do not. That's simply saying that they do not care about their own children as others do, its ridiculous. I find it insane to even suggest Martial Law, in America as though you would think that if it was imposed in Chicago, that it wouldn't be elsewhere, perhaps your own home town.

I can't say that the President has made it a priority in his home town because his ACTIONS haven't shown that, neither with the crony Rahm being the mayor. Obama has done more for the gay rights, than the crime in Chicago, its' sad. The Nation of Islam is in the community, I've seen them work with community leaders that DO care and Do attempt to work with the youth, not only in Chicago.
poikilotrm
Silent But Deadly

Post by poikilotrm »

whiterussian1974 wrote:
D9M9TR9S wrote:Why shoot someone 11 times and he's unarmed.
Someone acting in accordance w Law to protect their Neighbors, doesn't have the Luxury of knowing precisely which bullet will Stop the Threat.

An Autopsy will show the Internal Disruption, but the Effects of Gunshots aren't immediately obvious. That's why we double-tap until the Threat is Stopped. That means hitting the Ground and no longer Resisting. That's the Key. All Resistance must cease.
Yep. A wise man trains for mag dumps.