So I've been away....

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

RTFM

So I've been away....

Post by RTFM »

Last visit was: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:07 am

Wow, anyhow hello all - I do not remember ever making an account, but now glad I did as I am ready to take my first steps in to purchasing my first suppressor.

Let the research and reading begin.
doubloon
Silent But Deadly

Re: So I've been away....

Post by doubloon »

Good luck.

Try to decide what you're going to use it for first. Hunting, competition, plinking, attention at the range, busting pests in the back yard, take up space in the safe ...

The purpose will make a lot of the other decisions easier like caliber, weight, POI shift, suppression, price, color, ribs or no ribs ...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDtd2jNIwAU MUSAFAR!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CrOL-ydFMI This is Water DavidW
Complete Form 1s http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=79895
RTFM

Post by RTFM »

Thanks.
Yes - our use case is inside the house duty - one of the last time we went to our outdoor range the wife and I fired .38, 9, 45 and 5.56 with no earpro to asses what it may be like if we ever needed use one with out protection.
With out further explanation you know why we are now on the hunt.

I have a few hosts here - namely Springfield Armory XDM and XDS both in 9mm - but I believe we'd prefer 45 and the two 45's I own are a West German Sig P220 and a Kahr CW45 - neither of which I believe I can find a threaded replacement barrel for - and I've read some less than spectacular result stories with people purchasing after market threaded barrels for the XDM line.

Which leads me to the research phase - my initial "base line" choices are a new Sig P220 the FNX-45 Tactical and HK though HK for me here in Southern Idaho is hard to find dealers for.

Also though not 45 the P226 9 appears to be a Silencer Talk perennial favorite, and I am not opposed to changing my mind - my goal date for completion is around the end of 2019

I would "like" to also be able to add a red dot optic to round the package out - if I'm starting this new endeavor, why not swing for the fence- right?

Anyhow - I love reading and research and look forward to later interacting with the rest of the users here.
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

Welcome back. Lots has changed since you joined and it's a beautiful thing!

Your choice is very simple: either the Rugged Obsidian 45 or the Dead Air Ghost M.

I have the Obsidian and it is fantastic. Dry with factory S&B 230 fmj on my 1911, it sounds very similar to a loud hand clap only just a few decibels louder. I'm told the Ghost has a lower tone.

This is truly the golden age of silencers. Enjoy.
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

I normally thread my own barrels myself, however, I had one that I thought was too thin for my machine and abilities to thread myself.

It was on a Canik S120, which is a loose copy of a CZ75 that I love shooting. And there are absolutely no aftermarket barrels for them anywhere.

So, to make a long story shorter, I had EccoMachine thread it and make the short extension for me. He did a really good job on it.

So, having someone make a short threaded extension is probably going to be one of your few options available to you on the guns that doesn't have any aftermarket support.

Anyway, here are a few pictures of my Canik

Here is the threaded extension that I made for my Xd40 (9mm storm lake conversion barrel). Ecco threaded that barrel for me too. I really need to break down and buy a 4 jaw chuck for my lathe.

I don't care what your chart says