4 Years on ST

Discuss anything with like-minded people.
No posting of copyrighted material.

Moderators: mpallett, bakerjw, renegade, Hush

quiettime
Silent But Deadly

4 Years on ST

Post by quiettime »

Just noticed yesterday was my 4 year anniversary on ST.

A lot has changed in that time and, naturally, a lot has stayed the same.

A few things I've learned in my short time:

Whatever you buy will become obsolete, eventually. The industry has to stay current to stay successful (just look what's happened at AAC). This ties into the second thing:

Suppression levels will only reach so far. There comes a point where action noise and even firing mechanism noise or bullet flight will be as loud as the report. This is where the size/weight/suppression balance comes into play. Is it worth getting 2 less decibel when you're within 6 of firing pin drop level if it requires another 3 inches and 2 ounces of weight?

98 times out of 100, the better sounding can is going to cost more. The can that sounds as good and weighs less is going to cost more. R&D isn't free. Superior metals ar ent free. Fortunately by the time you get your stamp the extra $75 to $200 premium is long forgotten. Buy once, cry once. [This is not to say just because it costs more that it is better, right JJ?]

Finally, every mfg wants to say their can is the quietest and will find ways to do so. The proof is in the pudding and there's no substitute for trying a can out with the ammo you intend to shoot in it. Go to a shoot like NFA Review channel puts on or shoot with a buddy at the range. Do your research and buy wisely. You'll never regret it!
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Re: 4 Years on ST

Post by John A. »

Very sound advice

^ See what I did there? :lol:

But it is true.

And for our discussions about making more quiet hosts, well, are more relevant than ever. We've pretty much reached the sound floor and now if we're truly going to do better, it's going to be from making the hosts more quiet and designing purpose built guns.

FWIW, I looked at my join date, and it's a few days more than 11 years now. Maybe I should change my avatar or something :lol:
I don't care what your chart says
quiettime
Silent But Deadly

Post by quiettime »

John A. wrote:Maybe I should change my avatar or something :lol:
:lol:
John A.
Silent But Deadly

Post by John A. »

Is this one more current now? :lol: